What book are you reading right now?

Page 8 of 11 [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

NoahYates
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2016, 2:53 pm

These are my recent acquisitions:

“In the same way that you see a flower in a field, it’s really the whole field that is flowering, because the flower couldn’t exist in that particular place without the special surroundings of the field; you only find flowers in surroundings that will support them. So in the same way, you only find human beings on a planet of this kind, with an atmosphere of this kind, with a temperature of this kind- supplied by a convenient neighboring star. And so, as the flower is a flowering of the field, I feel myself as a personing- a manning- a peopling of the whole universe. –In other words, I, like everything else in the universe, seem to be a center… a sort of vortex, at which the whole energy of the universe realizes itself- comes alive… an aperture through which the whole universe is conscious of itself. In other words, I go with it as a center to a circumference.”~ Alan Watts

Peejay
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Apr 2016, 1:40 pm

Swag by Elmore Leonard

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2016, 2:56 am

Just got done with my 5th book inJames Patterson's Women's Murder Club series. I need a break before going to the 6th book. So.....

Now I got a message on my kindle about trying Nora Robert's new scary romance novel - The Obsession. Just read the first page and I'm getting "strange scary feelings" already. If it draws me in that quick, is gotta be a goody. I guess I'll see. :)

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 3:24 pm

Just finished with Richard Pryor's autobiography, and Norman Schwartzkopf's. Next I'll be jumping into "The Decline and fall of the Roman Empire"

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 7:42 pm

The Island Of Dr. Moreau by HG Wells

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 7:46 pm

I'm reading The Neverending Story, for probably the sixth time or more.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

NoahYates
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 9:02 pm

That is awesome! I grew up on the movie... I would love to read the book sometime!

“In the same way that you see a flower in a field, it’s really the whole field that is flowering, because the flower couldn’t exist in that particular place without the special surroundings of the field; you only find flowers in surroundings that will support them. So in the same way, you only find human beings on a planet of this kind, with an atmosphere of this kind, with a temperature of this kind- supplied by a convenient neighboring star. And so, as the flower is a flowering of the field, I feel myself as a personing- a manning- a peopling of the whole universe. –In other words, I, like everything else in the universe, seem to be a center… a sort of vortex, at which the whole energy of the universe realizes itself- comes alive… an aperture through which the whole universe is conscious of itself. In other words, I go with it as a center to a circumference.”~ Alan Watts

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2016, 7:21 am

Just finished this:

Not an easy read, as Jain theology and practice is very complex (and, contrary to some misconceptions, quite distinct from Buddhism).

Jainism is, however - beyond a shred of doubt - the most peaceful religion in the world... which is tragically likely also a major contribution to its marginalization by other religious groups in India, as it is very difficult to translate Jain doctrine into a mechanism for political action... Gandhi could, but that was likely due to unique historical circumstances which cannot be easily replicated...

... it's probably also less physically and emotionally taxing to become a Navy SEAL than to become a Jain ascetic (pictured above).

... now, onwards to Sikhism...

StaticWorld
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Apr 2016, 1:30 pm

At the moment I'm reading Red Dragon by Thomas Harris. After I watched the movie I just had to buy the book.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2016, 3:00 pm

I read about fifteen books at once I have always been like that so I will probably drop in every few days posting what I'm reading for that half hour slot. I'm reading my four year overdue library tome on different eras of ancient egypt, truly riveting stuff but it's so detailed it takes me ages to process two pages.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 11:27 pm

It's a toss up between Stephen King's "Mr. Mercedes" or Mary Higgins Clark's "I'll Walk Alone" or Dean Koontz's "Ashley Bell" or James Patterson's "The Murder House". BUT, it won't matter because when July 12th gets here, the next Amish murder book comes out on that day - Linda Castillo's "Among the Wicked". I can't wait!

I'm almost done now with Nora Robert's "Obsession". It takes me forever to read a book with school going on since I only read before I go to sleep. (Heavy sigh)

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2016, 1:20 am

And The Hippos Were Boiled In Their Tanks.

Long time unpublished novel by Beat literary giants William Burroughs and Jack Kerouac. This is a fictionalized account of a true story about the relationship between two early members of the Beat literary circle, which ended in murder. Very special to me is that this book was a Father's day present from my wife. :heart:

InsomniaGrl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2016, 4:48 am

I just read The Tooth Fairy, by Graham Joyce. I loved it!

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 2:41 am

nurseangela wrote:
It's a toss up between Stephen King's "Mr. Mercedes" or Mary Higgins Clark's "I'll Walk Alone" or Dean Koontz's "Ashley Bell" or James Patterson's "The Murder House". BUT, it won't matter because when July 12th gets here, the next Amish murder book comes out on that day - Linda Castillo's "Among the Wicked". I can't wait!

I'm almost done now with Nora Robert's "Obsession". It takes me forever to read a book with school going on since I only read before I go to sleep. (Heavy sigh)

Well, Stephen King's "Mr. Mercedes" is out for right now - I read the first chapter and there's just too much death. I'm depressed enough as it is.

So, let's try a sample of the next one - James Patterson's "The Murder House". :mrgreen: What a nice cheery title.

Darn, I flunked.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 2:50 am

nurseangela wrote:
nurseangela wrote:

Well, Stephen King's "Mr. Mercedes" is out for right now - I read the first chapter and there's just too much death. I'm depressed enough as it is.

So, let's try a sample of the next one - James Patterson's "The Murder House". :mrgreen: What a nice cheery title.

Are you a crime fan? Have you tried Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce mysteries? I adore them :heart:

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 3:20 am

underwater wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
nurseangela wrote:

Are you a crime fan? Have you tried Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce mysteries? I adore them :heart:

I love mystery books but I hate change so I tend to stay with the 8 or so authors that I've been reading for years. Every now and then, I'll add an author, like this last book I read was by Nora Robert's, that is new and so now I know how her books read so I may try her again once I exhaust all of my other authors. I'm strange.

Darn, I flunked.