Page 7 of 10 [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2015, 10:23 am

Assasta wrote:
Thank you for writing that post, seren!

I recently turned down an unconditional offer for a PhD because I feared for my mental health during such a long, lonely and emotionally demanding three years. That, and as you say, employment after a PhD is a disgraceful situation at the minute.

Firstly, well done on your PhD.

The post written by seren, is over 5 years old----and though I feel this topic is still relevant, I just thought you'd like to know because that person may not respond to you.

I have an IQ of 146, I have a BA in English and an MSc in Psychology. I was also asked to start a PhD, and have an unconditional offer to do so if I ever wish to return, but I have declined the offer for now. Right now I need a routine, and I found individual study kind of isolating and unstructured.

I know all of the above sounds impressive...

I don't mean to be rude----but, I don't think it sounds impressive. Tons and TONS of people have high IQs, and education----tons, right here on WP! I'm thinking your needing your education to validate you, and it doesn't. People aren't impressed by people who have an education----education doesn't mean you're "smart", it means you're "learned". I have an education----it means, practically, NOTHING! I might----MIGHT----get a job over someone who has no degree, but that's all. IMO, people are impressed by people who are kind, loving, giving.....

But in truth I lack confidence. When I am in the workplace I am surrounded by people who are less talented than I am, but because I struggle with workplace politics I have left every job I have had. I am looked on as less capable because I do not get involved with these games.....

"Less talented" is "subjective", is it not? My guess is, you look around you and think "These people don't even have the education that I have----why am I wasting my time.....?" What you may TRULY be feeling is: "These people have no idea how I've struggled----I've gotten an education, while they were sitting-around 'playing' 'who do you think will get promoted, next'----why am I wasting my time with people who don't appreciate my brain?" Again, it's character that impresses people----NOT, education.

It's quite possible that you're not being looked upon as "less capable"----it's quite possible that you're being looked-upon as "uncooperative"----and, NOT because you won't "play the office politics game"----but, because you've got a bad attitude.

I cannot cope when people have their own agenda.....

Why not----you seem to have YOUR own agenda.....

Education is somewhere I excel. I can remember anything, learn anything and think about things in a different way to other people. My obsessive nature means I will do everything right and put 100% effort in.

No, it doesn't mean that you "will do everything right"----it only means that you will do everything right, by YOUR standards.

I got a distinction in every module of my Psychology MSc and a test score of 96%.

But, when it came to it, can I see that a PhD has any real value, or would 'being highly educated' lead to a 'proper job'. No. I need people and routine now. I couldn't spend three years by myself. I need the workplace... But however 'educated' or 'intelligent' I am on paper I feel completely unprepared for the real workplace and disrespected there because people don't understand me...or I them!

Maybe you don't understand yourSELF. It's like that old adage about not being able to love anyone, fully, until you love yourself. Maybe you're not "presenting" yourself well, and thereby not giving people enough to "work" with----and, maybe you're not presenting yourself well, 'cause you're not really sure how to do that----cuz you really haven't gotten it, all figured-out yet (totally understandable). Alot of times I see people who "hold-back", for VARIOUS reasons..... Sometimes, they say that it's because they don't trust others, sometimes they say it's because other people would only be cruel, to them, if they did; sometimes they say they won't let others in because they'd only get hurt----but, in almost ALL of those proclamations, what the person was really saying, IMO, is that they hadn't figured their OWN self out, they didn't want to let anybody else have a shot at it (a shot at figuring them out). Also, people often reject another's judgment of them, because they think: "I haven't even figured myself out----how could YOU know how I'm feeling?" That goes to the old adage about "You can't see the forest, for the trees"----someone on the outside can INDEED figure someone else out, more easily than themselves.

I don't know that education or profession are the true measures of successes in life.

I don't believe they are, either. I believe that people who think they are, are missing-out----on, ALOT!!

My greatest achievement is having a partner that loves me, friends that I enjoy spending time with, and a dog I love walking! These things are simple for some people, but for me to be able to say: I enjoy spending time with some people, is such a huge thing.

YES----I AGREE----THOSE are successes!!

Don't get me wrong----I, in NO WAY, am trying to put you down, be mean or cruel----or anything like that. I'm just trying to pass-along some things that I'VE had to learn----NOT, that I've learned-it-all, by any means!!

Take care,

Cat

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 7:54 pm

Am I supposed to be impressed by all this , it feels like this thread rubs ours noses in it , being smart is the = of being born beautiful , so no not impressed, are you :wink:

Not hating just saying .

Andreger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2015, 12:03 am

tropicalcows wrote:
I'm currently in graduate school training to be a school psychologist. I will be working with students with disabilities, including children with autism. So hopefully I will be able to make a difference in children's lives. As you can imagine, my cohort at school consists of NT peers. You would hope people training to help with those with disabilities would be compassionate, but I know the other girls say rude things about me. During my summer class, this girl turned to her friend and said quite clearly, "That weird girl tried to talk to me" after I attempted to make friendly conversation. I know my professors suspect something isn't "quite right" with me, as I appear very anxious in class and make minimal eye contact. I've had negative feedback from one of my professors, saying I don't seem interested in the field. We had to record a video of us with a classmate conducting a mock counseling session and I was told I'm robotic and I can't be in the helping profession if I can't hold a conversation. I try hard not to stick out, but I'm sure it's painfully obvious. I have a 4.0 GPA, but that doesn't matter in a social climate.

Wow. I can only say that I respect you very much for your goals and achievements.

Don't worry if they call you "weird" or "robotic", just go to your dream :-) Just act as you feel comfortable, you'll find people who appreciate that.

Andreger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2015, 12:05 am

And another example of highly educated Asperger - me :-) For now I have Master of Science degree in IT Engineering but because it's not what I wanted to do this year I'm going back to college - for Political Science.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2015, 3:17 am

aussiebloke wrote:
Am I supposed to be impressed by all this , it feels like this thread rubs ours noses in it , being smart is the = of being born beautiful , so no not impressed, are you :wink:

Not hating just saying .

I have to agree with you on this. I am beginning to think that most of the people posting here are on some kind of an ego trip. But then again, it could be just like poor people pretending to be rich. After all, when autism strips a lot out of your life. It's nice to know that you got something of value to brag about.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2015, 3:28 am

LupaLuna wrote:
aussiebloke wrote:

Not hating just saying .

I have to agree with you on this. I am beginning to think that most of the people posting here are on some kind of an ego trip. But then again, it could be just like poor people pretending to be rich. After all, when autism strips a lot out of your life. It's nice to know that you got something of value to brag about.

Thank you I wont call it for what it is as I got a pm last time by a mod , my lips are sealed , I expect better from autistics , to right I am resentful of "intelligent " people after dealing with the morons in the medical profession , 14 years on a disability pension because of their stupidity (long story ) , now back to work ......

jayjayuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Apr 2015, 8:09 am

Aspergers with BSc Software Engineering and Computer Science. I had plans to study pure math, but I have no funds to do so at the moment.

DroopyLePew
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Apr 2015, 1:25 pm

I don't think the intent of this thread was to look down, bash, or put anyone on a pedestal, or even have anything specific to do with intelligence. I think it is merely to see how many were able to "overcome" their struggles, and finish up a degree.

I have met very intelligent people that were not able to, nor willing to complete school, and also the flip side, people that have degrees that appear to be dumber than dirt, with no ability for self-though, just regurgitate what they hear. Going to school, and completing a degree is more than intelligence.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2015, 2:20 pm

I didn't read anything too ego in this thread.
I don't think it's a problem for people to say what education they completed, since the topic is about education.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2015, 4:15 pm

Guess I 'm to sensitive to these things , time to go on another thread , will go to the threads I can relate to the whiny resentful ones , there are many here ,.

Not a complete douche , do feel sympathetic if they did all that study and can't find employment in their field , better to get a trade these days , everyone seems to be getting a education due to the lying brainwashing boomer parents , get a education get a great job :roll:

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2015, 4:42 pm

tropicalcows wrote:
I'm currently in graduate school training to be a school psychologist. I will be working with students with disabilities, including children with autism. So hopefully I will be able to make a difference in children's lives.

You are obviously very intelligent, given your 4.0 GPA in grad school. If the counseling side of School Psychology doesn't work out, you could always to into educational research. That is another way to make a difference in children's lives-determine what helps the most for different disorders and publish it so others can learn from it and use it in their counseling practices. Or you could get a Ph.D and go teach School Psychology courses at a university. Train others how to make a difference in children's lives and you get to make a difference in young adult's lives.

That is what I do-teach at a university. There are very few jobs I would trade it for-I love it!

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2015, 8:24 pm

ProfessorJohn - I understand where you are coming from in teaching university students. That part of my job I also enjoy. I count how well I do as a professor based upon what my students do with what I taught them. Two of my best students have moved up into the Ivy League schools with full scholarships after I prompted them to apply for it. One will be going into medical school for specialized surgery and the other is leaning towards strictly biomedical research. Those are the ones professors always hope to get, as it makes our jobs worthwhile to guide them where they want to be knowing that they have the skills to get there. However, it is the inter-departmental politics that sometimes pop up on the job that drives me :twisted: . We can be a fickle bunch to work with.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2015, 9:52 pm

Fortunately I work for a department with very little politics. That is sure a blessing. We do have one student going to Harvard for the Ph.D in Clinical Psychology. Doesn't get any bigger time than that. Another student I worked with is now in a Ph.D program at Florida State.

It is rewarding also to help the student who never thought they could get through college actually get a degree.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2015, 10:11 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
I didn't read anything too ego in this thread.
I don't think it's a problem for people to say what education they completed, since the topic is about education.

I concur.

aussiebloke wrote:
...everyone seems to be getting a education due to the lying brainwashing boomer parents, get a education get a great job...

Count me as one of those brainwashed boomers who encouraged his 2 daughters to pursue a college education. So, I do understand that getting a college education is not for everyone. Likewise, I understand that getting a college education does not guarantee getting a great job. But, I cannot think of any reason to dissuade someone who is interested in getting a college education from pursuing one. Particularly in this day and age.

Finally, count me as another person who thinks that the STEM fields could be ideal for Aspies. And this field does require some form of college education.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2015, 10:48 pm

DroopyLePew wrote:
I don't think the intent of this thread was to look down, bash, or put anyone on a pedestal, or even have anything specific to do with intelligence. I think it is merely to see how many were able to "overcome" their struggles, and finish up a degree.

I have met very intelligent people that were not able to, nor willing to complete school, and also the flip side, people that have degrees that appear to be dumber than dirt, with no ability for self-though, just regurgitate what they hear. Going to school, and completing a degree is more than intelligence.

I agree with you. I have met people who did not go to college that were smarter in some areas than some of the graduate students I went to college with. It all depends on how you use your knowledge and skills. I have met some PhDs who I would not trust with a clean lab beaker because they only have book knowledge and not laboratory skills. I have many long, boring stories on them. On the flip side, I have met a few that will someday be famous for what they do now or in the near future, although their work may be classified or patented for a long time yet to come.

Talking about someone being cocky with their education: I used to have to deal with a professor whose graduate adviser won a Nobel Prize in chemistry. Man, he was cocky about it all the time with us. He assumed that because his adviser won one that it meant that he was better than everybody else at that university because he was trained by someone special. The funny thing is that if you look at Nobel Prize winners, very few of them are students of other Nobel Prize winners for a reason. I was lucky enough to have met three Nobel Prize winners in person during my chemistry career and there are some things that I noticed from them that sets them apart: being able to think creatively on the fly is a required skill. That is something that one can have without a college education and do well in life. However, the education may allow the person to learn how to use that skill in a manner that helps others in much bigger ways.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2015, 2:32 am

I used to volunteer at a soup kitchen , the vast majority where unemployed skilled professionals , some only able to get part time work in unskilled employment , when was the last time you saw a unemployed tradesman , electricians charge more than a gp . 8O

Though Australia not having had a recession in nearly 25 years that could all change soon ,