Page 1 of 10 [ 146 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Flipmode
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jan 2010, 6:55 pm

Does anyone have any examples with AS people who have college degrees or advanced degrees such as PH.Ds? I'm asking this because most people who have AS do struggle alot in school. (I know that there are AS people with advanced degrees, I am just curious to find examples)

UrchinStar47
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jan 2010, 7:04 pm

I don't have a degree yet, but I'm working on it. I've met plenty so far, and know of a lot more (some with multiple PhDs).

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2010, 7:08 pm

There are many on here that have degrees/advanced degrees.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2010, 7:33 pm

Temple Grandin has a PhD.

wildgrape
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jan 2010, 7:48 pm

Some WP members don't like to acknowledge that success is within reach of some autistic people. However, Vernon Smith won a Nobel Prize. You can view a video concerning him here.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7030731/

Moony
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jan 2010, 7:51 pm

You think Aspies can't get good educations? D:<

brightlined
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jan 2010, 8:34 pm

I think higher education is something that a lot of aspies actually excel at - but that's mostly because the highest levels of education are usually specialized, focused on a specific subject (ie, a special interest). Also, higher education (particularly graduate school) doesn't require all of the social interaction that's necessary in high school. In grad school, apart from teaching classes, you can pretty much stay off to yourself doing research.

introspective
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jan 2010, 8:41 pm

Moony wrote:
You think Aspies can't get good educations? D:<

According to his profile page, he has AS, so I would not take it as an insult so much as general curiosity.

bonuspoints
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Washington state - *Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?*

05 Jan 2010, 8:42 pm

I have a BA. I would have liked to continue my formal education but familial/financial obligations have thus far prevented me from doing so. I will say that, while I found high school very easy (curriculum-wise), college was far more difficult. I think mainly because I lacked study skills. I never had to study in high school, in college it was a necessity.

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. - Oscar Wilde

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2010, 8:44 pm

Last edited by Willard on 11 Jan 2010, 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wildgrape
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jan 2010, 9:05 pm

Willard wrote

Quote:
Quote:
wildgrape wrote:
Some WP members don't like to acknowledge that success is within reach of some autistic people. However, Vernon Smith won a Nobel Prize. You can view a video concerning him here.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7030731/

Alright! Hear that, everybody!? Let's all go out right now and get our Nobel Prizes! If Vernon can do it, we all can do it! Your autism can never keep you from achieving ultimate success in anything you attempt - if you achieve anything less than the level of a Nobel Prize, you just weren't trying hard enough! Because clearly, if ol' Vern can do it, then its not really a handicap for any of us. Any autistic person achieving less than the level of Nobel prize is just a lazy-ass loser whose failure to connect and fit in is their own fault.

Hell, let's just say it flat out - there's no such thing as autism - if you can't succeed socially, you're just a worthless geek. If people bully you and prevent you from getting where you need to be - you're a wimp. Step up and get on with your life, crybaby - that dude's got a Nobel prize, that woman's got a PhD - hell, that guy worked with KISS - see, autism never kept anybody from achieving anything. It's not real. Its just something made up by liberal bleeding heart mental health professionals to give them busy work babysitting the losers who can't beat the crap out of everyone else and take what they want - you know - the type that evolution tells us should be weeded from the herd. The worthless and weak. No wonder Autism Speaks wants to wipe them from the face of the Earth, its what Nature wants...

None of the sarcastic vitriol that you spewed follows from, or is suggested by, the text of mine that you quoted. You should be ashamed for suggesting that.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2010, 9:34 pm

I have two Master of Science degrees.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2010, 9:51 pm

does auto-didacticism count?
I have had some success without ever having a degree despite four failed attempts due to undiagnosed AS. (i am now diagnosed.)
The two are not mutually exclusive. However, I am sincerely happy when I see people on the spectrum achieving in areas they enjoy and feel passionate about.

I think anyone who has a sense of achievement in their lives and derives meaning from their special interests, often against incredible odds, is a "success."

i did like the vid with Vernon Smith. thanks.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2010, 10:34 pm

More PhDs with ASDs...

Cool.

But what about those Aspies who struggle in high school? Looks that community colleges and second-tier universities will only do for them. Do you think debts will enable them to get PhDs?

In addition, do you think PhDs can really help Aspies in employment and self-fulfillment?

Douglas_MacNeill
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2010, 10:48 pm

I have Asperger's, and an MA in Sociology
(convocation for it in November 1997)

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2010, 10:54 pm

ruennsheng wrote:

In addition, do you think PhDs can really help Aspies in employment and self-fulfillment?

I think a Ph.D can help anyone in employment and self-fulfillment if they have a particular career in mind for which only a Ph.D will allow them professional qualification.