Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2010, 4:33 am

I'm 22 (closing in on 23) and don't have a license. I'm not particularly fond of stepping into a machine that propels intself by making stuff explode inside of it and am even less fond of being amidst several of such machines while moving at a speed where any impact has a high chance of death or serious injury.

I'm quite comfortable with walking or riding a bike.

tektek
Bronze Supporter
Bronze Supporter

10 Jan 2010, 5:12 am

from (click)

tektek wrote:
...happiness is the sound of throttle over-run, a heel toe symphony, and feeling your jugular artery pulsing as you push to ten tenths.

(:D on a track, of course).

i began driving at 17, and i have a perfect record - no speeding tickets, no demerit points... no fines of any kind.

cars, particularly VW group vehicles, are a special interest and driving is something that i love to do :thumleft:

EarlPurple
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jan 2010, 7:48 am

I passed my test first time. Accumulated a few points on my licence between 1988 and 1992 then again in 1996 due to "driving without due care and attention", primarily more trying to pass slow drivers that wound me up. Never actually had a ban but was pretty close in 1992.

Subsequently not had any points on licence at all since 1996.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2010, 8:22 am

I enjoy driving when I am able to. I have to renew my permit though for the 4th time :/

as to why no license? The drivers license center is only open once a week where I live, and when I last tried to make an appointment it was backed up for 8 months.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

M_p_furo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jan 2010, 9:33 am

I did not get my license until I was 24. I practiced off and on but was terribly anxious and it was very draining to drive.

Eventually, with the right teacher (my dad is a terrible teacher) and A LOT of time, I managed to get my license. I failed my first test because I didn't stop exactly on the white line at the stop sign....but I passed the second time.

The first couple years I hardly drove and never drove in the winter. Now I'm pretty good...but I'm accused of being "overly cautious".

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2010, 11:03 am

M_p_furo wrote:
I did not get my license until I was 24. I practiced off and on but was terribly anxious and it was very draining to drive.

Eventually, with the right teacher (my dad is a terrible teacher) and A LOT of time, I managed to get my license. I failed my first test because I didn't stop exactly on the white line at the stop sign....but I passed the second time.

The first couple years I hardly drove and never drove in the winter. Now I'm pretty good...but I'm accused of being "overly cautious".

Live where I live, and everyone has to drive in winter, up 75 degree icy inclines and everything else, cliffside hairpin turns and s**t. and most people? they still go like 20+ over the speedlimit here.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2010, 11:08 am

I'm decent at driving :)

10 Jan 2010, 11:33 am

I started driving when I was 15 and I had lot of fun learning and watching kids make mistakes. I did some driving errors too like the time I almost ran into the mini van because I hit the wrong pedal but my teacher stepped on the break in the passenger seat. Other kids had almost ran into a stop sign so the teacher would make them go out and hug it. But when we do the driving test, the teacher would do tricks on us by telling us to do something we aren't supposed to do because the whole pat of the test was to know the rules of driving. He once told this boy to go straight and it was a Do Not Enter street but he went straight anyway. He lost points and he failed the test. I should have said something but I thought the teacher had a reason and I was wondering why he wanted him to go straight but I never thought of opening my big mouth.

I got my learner's permit when I was 16 and I was almost 17 when I got my lisence. Kids liked giving me a hard time about my driving and I was almost hitting cars according to them. Kids were even surprised I got my lisence. I was underestimated and I sure showed them what I'm capable of.

But I don't like driving in heavy traffic. It was easier in Montana and Spokane but here it's harder. A lot more people. I hate rush hour here but I'm careful. I don't drive often. I'm mostly stuck in my apartment by choice.

I have gotten two tickets and have been pulled over five times. The last time it was June 27th 2006. Before, it was Presidents day 2006. The first time I was pulled over was due to some dumb ass thinking I took a videotape.

It took me two tries to past the written here in Oregon and in Montana it took me three times to pass the written test and five times to pass the driving at 16. I past it the first time when I was 15 but failed the written but because my permit had expired, I had to start over. My parents thought I was too young to be driving but they let me take driver's education so I'd learn and have experiance.

miszt
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Jan 2010, 11:37 am

I dont have patience for driving, I learnt 11 years ago, but soon discovered the road-rage side to my personality, if I cant control my temper n not shout n swear at other stupid people on the road, when sitting in a Learner Car with an insutrctor...well I decieded I'd wait a lil while before I let myself loose with a full licence :lol: I still dont have the patience for city driving, I guess living in London, one of the most over congested cities in the world doesnt help

AspieBri
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jan 2010, 5:38 pm

I got my license at 16, although I did fail the test the first time. Couldn't concentrate+easily distracted = running a stop sign. I'm now 17 and I don't drive, like at all. I was okay at first, but then I started freaking out on the road. Too much pressure for me.

M_p_furo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jan 2010, 5:56 pm

DemonAbyss10 wrote:
M_p_furo wrote:

Live where I live, and everyone has to drive in winter, up 75 degree icy inclines and everything else, cliffside hairpin turns and sh**. and most people? they still go like 20+ over the speedlimit here.

I guess I wont be visiting the Poconos in winter. LOL!! I took a trip to Colton Point State Park and thought that the roads up to the campsite were a bit treacherous, so I can't imagine the Poconos.

WardenWolf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2010, 6:10 pm

I've never had any real trouble driving. Once you learn that everything that matters for basic straight travel is in front of you, and have the discipline to always check mirrors and blind spot when changing lanes, you're fine. I also have music playing when I'm in my car, and that seems to help somewhat. I can "zone out", but always within a safe level. I proved that I was still safe like that when I had to make an emergency maneuver to avoid a collision after some bozo pulled his pickup in my path from a side street. The guy was very lucky I was a good driver. If I'd hit him, it would have been right in his driver's side door, and likely would have seriously injured or killed him. It would also would have totaled my car, no question.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2010, 6:19 pm

Learning to drive was a little difficult; my coordination isn't brilliant for it and I get frustrated easily so basic control of the car gave me some problems. Reacting to other drivers was easy by comparison. My main gripe with driving is the large number of unscripted interactions that owning a car forces you to have to maintain it.

The year is still young.

Netish
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jan 2010, 9:12 pm

I had a terrible time "learning to drive" it was more of a psychological thing than an actual skill thing. I had/have been driving mini-bikes, go-kart, motocycles, etc for long before I drove cars (on private property of course). But the class only having 6-8 cars max with two people in each makes for a lot of people watching you and then laughing at any mistakes. Plus the teachers yell at you which gives me meltdowns. I had really bad experiences...trying to take driver's ed in school. However, I took it through the school over the summer and it was WAY better. The kids didn't really care and just played cards or talked. The teachers were a lot cooler and so forth. After that it was fine and I have never been pulled over let alone given a ticket.

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2010, 10:19 pm

Think of driving like playing a racing video game.. Only a lot easier... because there's no racing and the controls are easier to handle.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2010, 10:32 pm

I've never been able to drive, too much multitasking, too much things to pay attention to at one time