How important is exercise in your life?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Brandon-J
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2010, 11:41 pm

For me going to the gym working out can change my mood and how I feel about myself. It really relives stress and clears my mind and lets me relax. Also it makes me more confident about myself the more weight I lose.

Moony
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jan 2010, 12:06 am

I'm skinny as a pole. I would go underweight if I lost a few pounds more. No, exercising for me is about getting stronger. And they work us so damn hard in rowing that it doesn't always feel good. (My last workout was a 6 x 500m erg workout. I could barely breathe afterward.)

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2010, 5:28 pm

Not particularly. I do some weightlifting, other than that I'm a lazy ball of lead. (And still whiplash thin, O_O)

Greshym_Shorkan
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jan 2010, 4:47 am

If I didn't do cardio, I'd be big as a sofa, so it's a significant part of my life! Um, I get to the gym only about two to three times a week on average. I loves to swim.

AspiRob
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jan 2010, 2:44 am

Exercise is a major part of my life and has been since I turned 40. At my age, if you don't exercise, you get fat.

Apart from that, I like the regular physical activity. I tend to alternate between weight sessions and cardio sessions each lasting about 60 min. If I can manage to get to the gym 4-5 times a week I am normally satisfied with that.

Apart from the fact that I look a lot better from regular exercise, I also feel a lot better mentally and spiritually. I think the physical work helps me work out the aggro I tend to build up during the day.

Shiznown
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jan 2010, 4:04 am

One the most important things second only to women and heavy metal.

AspiRob
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jan 2010, 4:32 am

Shiznown wrote:
One the most important things second only to women and heavy metal.

Now you're talkin'!

Brandon-J
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2010, 3:50 pm

AspiRob wrote:
Exercise is a major part of my life and has been since I turned 40. At my age, if you don't exercise, you get fat.

Apart from that, I like the regular physical activity. I tend to alternate between weight sessions and cardio sessions each lasting about 60 min. If I can manage to get to the gym 4-5 times a week I am normally satisfied with that.

Apart from the fact that I look a lot better from regular exercise, I also feel a lot better mentally and spiritually. I think the physical work helps me work out the aggro I tend to build up during the day.

good for you man keep it up

"If you feed your faith your fears will starve to death"

http://www.youtube.com/user/BrandonJ280

AspiRob
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2010, 3:27 pm

Brandon-J wrote:
AspiRob wrote:

good for you man keep it up

Thanks for the encouragement, Dude. Keep at it, yourself!

TheDuck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2010, 5:21 pm

It's crucial for me. I need to do at least a bit of physical activity everyday or else I will have too much energy and won't be able to sleep. Usually it's either gym , bike , ski , skate or swimming. Also bike, ski or swimming are the only times I can stop thinking entirely so it's important at least every once in a while.

KazigluBey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jan 2010, 7:21 pm

I swear by exercise. Aside from the obvious benefits (heart, weight, etc), I contend that exercise allows me to enjoy the day much more--including sleep. I can sleep less, do more and simply feel more alive. I'm somewhat sad that it's winter time as I don't get to meet with a group of friends and skate (inline) all over the place on a regular basis. Between those times and skating on my own, I'd say I'm relatively regular with exercise. During the winter months though, I do try and hit the gym, but I'm not quite as regular with it.

Brandon-J
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2010, 8:03 pm

TheDuck wrote:
It's crucial for me. I need to do at least a bit of physical activity everyday or else I will have too much energy and won't be able to sleep. Usually it's either gym , bike , ski , skate or swimming. Also bike, ski or swimming are the only times I can stop thinking entirely so it's important at least every once in a while.

Wow u do alot of different activies or exercise that's cool. I'm trying out swimming and it is not easy but im starting to learn how to swim. And I want to try skiing at least one day in my life but I live far from the mountains. Keep it up man.

KazigluBey wrote:
I swear by exercise. Aside from the obvious benefits (heart, weight, etc), I contend that exercise allows me to enjoy the day much more--including sleep. I can sleep less, do more and simply feel more alive. I'm somewhat sad that it's winter time as I don't get to meet with a group of friends and skate (inline) all over the place on a regular basis. Between those times and skating on my own, I'd say I'm relatively regular with exercise. During the winter months though, I do try and hit the gym, but I'm not quite as regular with it.

I haven't tried to skate since I was like in the 5th grade. I was terrified of it and was too scared to learn how to skate because I knew i'd keep falling down. It's something I always wanted to do though.

"If you feed your faith your fears will starve to death"

http://www.youtube.com/user/BrandonJ280

KazigluBey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jan 2010, 8:25 pm

Brandon-J wrote:
I haven't tried to skate since I was like in the 5th grade. I was terrified of it and was too scared to learn how to skate because I knew i'd keep falling down. It's something I always wanted to do though.

I may be more reckless than many because I refuse to stop--regardless how many times I fall (and yes, I've had a few rough ones, even recently). That said, if you do decide to try it out, I would highly recommend you get wrist pads--if nothing else. When people fall, they typically break their fall with their hands and it can do a number on your wrists (speaking from experience).

As for elbow and knee pads? Knee pads would be good to help break your fall, but I've found elbow pads overkill, personally.

Lastly, if you are concerned about falling too much before learning, get a pair of inline skates and simply walk around (or skate if the wheels are big enough) on carpet. It is MUCH easier to learn on and of course falling isn't nearly as bad.

Nostromos
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Jan 2010, 2:04 am

Exercise is very important to me, and the more intensive and varied it is, the better. But i haven't gotten back into the zone since the holidays, only running and working out like twice or three times a week. I love the s**t out of hiking, can hike for hours, but it's raining nonstop on the west coast and hiking in the rain is poo-poo. But weight training and machine-bound cardio can be boring. It's all about finding ways to vary your routine, i think, or else your body adapts to whatever movements you're doing and you don't build any new capabilities. It makes me feel better about myself, and more emotionally resilient.

lennyk
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Feb 2010, 9:56 pm

very important, also going to the gym is pretty much my only social outing

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2010, 10:52 pm

I exercise a lot. It helps keep my energy levels up and my stress levels down. I find when I slack on exercising, I get all kinds of messed up... I become more irritable and lethargic. I am not a gym person or whatnot as I do not play well with others and being around them stresses me out... but I do have a series of things I do on my own in my home on a daily basis and I adore it.