theater group explores emotion raising children with autism.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

southwestforests
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 7:53 pm

http://www.connectmidmissouri.com/community/press_release.aspx?id=396697

Quote:
Date: Saturday, January 02, 2010
Where: Columbia, MO

Youth Theater premieres original script

Columbia, Mo. - P.A.C.E. Youth Theater tackles two challenges in its upcoming performance of Window Pains. For starters, the theater group explores the emotional roller coaster families face when raising children with autism. Secondly, P.A.C.E.’s third installment in its Arts in Health series premieres an original script, commissioned by the youth theater.“Since so many kids struggle with autism, we wanted it to be our Arts in Health focus in 2010, but we couldn’t find any scripts,” said Angela Howard, P.A.C.E. Artistic Director and Window Pains director. “I was familiar with Hartley Wright’s work and asked him if he would be willing to take on this project.” Wright is a local playwright who has written for children’s theatre troupes, college drama troupes, and churches since 1991. He served as the resident playwright for Stained Glass from 2001 to 2007.P.A.C.E. held two staged readings before parents of children with autism, representatives of the Thompson Center for Autism and Neurodevelopmental Disorders at the University of Missouri, and representatives of the community at large.“I wanted to make sure that I represented the families experiences accurately while still making the show engaging to a general audience,” said Wright. “It was also important to write a script appropriate for a young cast to perform.”The Thompson Center for Autism and Neurodevelopmental Disorders at the University of Missouri and Art in Health at the University of Missouri have partnered with P.A.C.E. to bring Window Pains to the stage. Additional funding comes from a Target grant and the City of Columbia Cultural Affairs office.P.A.C.E partners with the Art in Health Care program at University of Missouri Health Care annually to present a play focusing on a childhood illness or disability. The 2008 premiere Arts in Health presentation Zink. The Myth, the Legend, the Zebra tackled childhood cancer, and in 2009 The Jellybean Conspiracy addressed how Down Syndrome affects kids and families.Among the cast of 18, 1 student has autism. The 3rd – 12th graders have been rehearsing since October at Limelight Dance Studio. Performances are January 14, 15 & 16 at 7 p.m. and January 17 at 2 p.m.Tickets are $10 for adults, $7 for students with an I.D. and $5 for children aged 12 and under, and can be purchased at the door.
###

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2010, 4:15 pm

Just another "autism is a disease, we must ellimate it" scam. Why don't we make our own movie?