Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 1:58 am

:P

ValMikeSmith
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 5:27 am

Is this a joke? They don't use any electricity, so they have no internet access.

SilverStar
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 7:12 am

ValMikeSmith wrote:
Is this a joke? They don't use any electricity, so they have no internet access.

Yeah, I don't think any of them will be joining WP anytime soon. :D There are a lot of them around where I live...maybe I will go ask them? :D Seriously though, I'm sure there are plenty of them out there. I believe Aspies have been around for a long time, but people just started really becoming aware of it the last couple years.

I wouldn't diss the Amish too much, they are hard workers (unlike most average Americans nowadays), and you don't see a whole lot of them complaining about being in credit card debt, and losing their big fancy houses, they can't afford. :D People can learn a thing, or two from them.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 8:10 am

I have heard that there aren't any Amish Aspies.

Why?

Because the Amish don't have their children vaccinated.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 8:24 am

Wombat wrote:

Why?

:lmao: :lol:

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 9:03 am

SilverStar wrote:
ValMikeSmith wrote:

Yeah, I don't think any of them will be joining WP anytime soon. :D There are a lot of them around where I live...maybe I will go ask them? :D Seriously though, I'm sure there are plenty of them out there. I believe Aspies have been around for a long time, but people just started really becoming aware of it the last couple years.

I wouldn't diss the Amish too much, they are hard workers (unlike most average Americans nowadays), and you don't see a whole lot of them complaining about being in credit card debt, and losing their big fancy houses, they can't afford. :D People can learn a thing, or two from them.

An Amish welding shop near where I live has gas lamps for lighting and a phone for business and a large generator for supplying electricity for the welders, and the Amish (at least around here) are now being required to have telephones for 9-1-1 purposes ... and I would be suprised if none of them have laptops. So, there might already be some Amish Aspies right here among us and quietly chuckling at more English silliness!

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 9:10 am

My parents said to me, people living in the country secluded from the world like the Amish won't have AS. Wonder whether this is true? I think not...

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 4:36 pm

ruennsheng wrote:
My parents said to me, people living in the country secluded from the world like the Amish won't have AS. Wonder whether this is true? I think not...

I wonder if it might be less obvious. They live by clear and obvious social rules in an environment that is not full of sensory overload. I often think that if my son had grown up in that type of environment, other than the handwriting and a few other physical issues, that no one would have though much of how he was "different." He does really well in places like that.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 4:46 pm

Wombat wrote:

Why?

A myth, on both counts. The Amish do vaccinate, but vaccination rates are lower among them. We have no credible data on the rate of autism or AS among the Amish, but anecdotal evidence suggests that they have at least a few undiagnosed autistics.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 4:48 pm

I don't like the Amish. A lot of them run puppy mills and the dogs are almost always in poor conditions, abused and in poor health. The amish are only concerned with making a quick buck. Like with a LOT of Christians, they seem to think it's okay to abuse animals because God gave them "dominon" over them. They treat animals as things.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 1:49 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
ruennsheng wrote:

I wonder if it might be less obvious. They live by clear and obvious social rules in an environment that is not full of sensory overload. I often think that if my son had grown up in that type of environment, other than the handwriting and a few other physical issues, that no one would have though much of how he was "different." He does really well in places like that.

I wish I also grew up in small-town Pennsylvania instead of bustling Singapore. Too much sensory overload up here, sigh.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 12:43 pm

ruennsheng wrote:

I wish I also grew up in small-town Pennsylvania instead of bustling Singapore. Too much sensory overload up here, sigh.

It can get pretty exciting in "Amish country". About fifteen years ago there was a rash of drive-by shunnings near Lancaster PA.

ruveyn

Metal_Man
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 1:01 pm

The Amish lifestyle would probably be very compatible with most Aspies.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 1:22 pm

Metal_Man wrote:

I doubt it. they're close-knit communities and they have no computers.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 2:17 pm

In Amish communities, when the girls become a certain age (I think it's 17, but I'm not sure) they are allowed into the outside world and they would use computers and stuff, so technically there could be Amish people on WP. Though it's unlikely that they would be diagnosed if they are isolated from the world.

y es como un semestre"

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 4:00 pm

anna-banana wrote:
Metal_Man wrote:

I doubt it. they're close-knit communities and they have no computers.

I have seen a buggy with a boom box in the rear window, so speculation about a wireless laptop charged at work or somewhere else does not seem far-fetched ...