How do those with Aspergers deal with getting a new job?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 2:09 pm

I'm at the point where at my job, I've had enough and I want desperately to find a new job. The main problem is that I have worked at this job for 4 years. The job has been in my schedule and despite my hate for the job now, I fell I'm at a comfort level there for the fact that I'm so use to it and I know everybody there so I don't have much social anxiety anymore. The main reason I want to get out of my job is because of the change in management and how the job is getting so much more strict and a pain in the ass and how I will pretty much be supervised for every damn move I make when before I was able to mostly work independently. All I know is at this job I have now, I'm not respected, I only got one raise in the four years I've worked there, the company is run by scumbags, all the newer employees are getting promoted over me so I have take order from people who I've worked there long then them. It's only going to get worse so I know I need to jump ship before it sinks. This job is like the Titanic.

Now my main question is since most of us have autism in one way or another, how do you guys deal with leaving one job you are so use to and moving on to another one? I feel that I'm going to have to start all over again, it feels like I'm going to a new school or moving into a new neighborhood or something. Still at the same time I know that staying at my current job will get me nowhere and it's pretty much at a dead end. Still, I'm afraid to leave. I wonder if I will do better or worse at another place. I'll admit I'm a scheduled person so I'm not big on change..... Still I feel I might not have a choice.

caramateo
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jan 2010, 4:15 pm

changing jobs at this time might no be a good idea, why don't you ask for a promotion?

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 6:05 pm

caramateo wrote:
changing jobs at this time might no be a good idea, why don't you ask for a promotion?

That's not really an option. I work at a low paying job and unfortunately for me, I work at the front end of a supermarket. To get a promotion I'd have to do customer service meaning I'd have to be very social, take phone calls and multi-task which I'm not good at. That's not an ideal job for someone with aspergers.

nickn3ro
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jan 2010, 6:42 pm

I handle it very carefully Im job hunting now but since I also have OCD I got 1000 apps in as we speak I got a degree yet no one goes for me. 8O just keep going and find something where you can love what you do I guess

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 7:02 pm

Don't quit your job. Just look for another job, and quit your current one if someone else wants to hire you.

Ivanov_Kuznetsov
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jan 2010, 9:27 pm

Seek help from your state and or local government to see if they offer vocational rehabilitation programs. Even if you have never been formally diagnosed and do not have the documentation, they will send you to an evaluation and pay for it. There might be a waiting list, but the services available from these agencies greatly lessens the burden and burn out you will likely experience, as I have, with the job search process. As for now, if you are in the United States, your options for coping until you can find new employment involve talking to your HR/Legal department to discuss taking FMLA days for when you are about to super-withdraw or explode, thus avoiding an at-work incident.

Further suggestions include work areas in less distracting areas, a prioritized task list from your supervisor to aid in focusing your work, and regular breaks of a few minutes when you begin to feel overwhelmed unless you are truly enjoying the work. It's hard; I know quite well. There are many options on the table, and as you search, you find even more. Never take the option of moving to another area in your country or to another country, if needed. Lower costs of living with abundant jobs and efficient public transportation is a dream compared to where I live :)

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 7:03 pm

I feel it's in my best interest to start job searching. The job I once had is not what it used to be and I don't want to be unhappy everyday. I'm going to have to get over my anxiety and take a chance at something else. I was able to get a job 4 years ago so I think I can now. Yes the economy is bad but I have experience now, something I didn't have before.

passionatebach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Jan 2010, 10:15 pm

I am in the process of going for a new position within my employer. I currently work as a customer service agent, and I am going for a janitorial position.

I am getting tired of the unpredictibility and micromanagement of my current position. You never seem to know what type of situation you are going to walk into when a customer calls in. The company montiors your calls and numbers, and always pushes to do things more expeditiously. I am also getting a little tired of the lack of trust and autonomy on our part.

The janitorial position pays a little more an hour, and from the sound of things, you know your duties when you walk in the door. Toliets and vacuum cleaners also never sass back at you. Even though it is physical work, and you have to do it in an expedited manner, I think it is more cut out to my personality.

I am a little apprehensive about changing jobs. I kind of realize that there is good and bad in any postion that you have.

misstiff
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jan 2010, 5:22 pm

Homer_Bob wrote:
I'm at the point where at my job, I've had enough and I want desperately to find a new job. The main problem is that I have worked at this job for 4 years. The job has been in my schedule and despite my hate for the job now, I fell I'm at a comfort level there for the fact that I'm so use to it and I know everybody there so I don't have much social anxiety anymore. The main reason I want to get out of my job is because of the change in management and how the job is getting so much more strict and a pain in the ass and how I will pretty much be supervised for every damn move I make when before I was able to mostly work independently. All I know is at this job I have now, I'm not respected, I only got one raise in the four years I've worked there, the company is run by scumbags, all the newer employees are getting promoted over me so I have take order from people who I've worked there long then them. It's only going to get worse so I know I need to jump ship before it sinks. This job is like the Titanic.

Now my main question is since most of us have autism in one way or another, how do you guys deal with leaving one job you are so use to and moving on to another one? I feel that I'm going to have to start all over again, it feels like I'm going to a new school or moving into a new neighborhood or something. Still at the same time I know that staying at my current job will get me nowhere and it's pretty much at a dead end. Still, I'm afraid to leave. I wonder if I will do better or worse at another place. I'll admit I'm a scheduled person so I'm n
ot big on change..... Still I feel I might not have a choice.

Stick with this job as long as you can. If I would you find something else before quitting because jobs are hard to get right.

ayra
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

Location: My invented world, ie Kalia (kuh-lee-uh) or just stuck in Texas rollercoaster weather

29 Jan 2010, 4:01 pm

I would find another job before quiting there.

I have kinda been through the same situation, and what I did was find another job and did both while deciding which was better for about 2 months.
I just sent my 2 week notice in to my first job. I had to work with customers and it was starting to wear down my nerves, this new job I have is working with a special needs child and it is so much better for me.

I know everyone is different and it is not always good to use one solution on another problem, but this is what worked for me.

My cat is the only one lately to try and distract me from this world.