Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 6:03 pm

Hi all. I just wanted to see how many of your children flap (or used to flap their hands) My son seems to do it when he is excited. I am not sure if it is a stim, or a way to show his excitement. Did your child outgrow it? My son is 4.5 and has AS

AnotherOne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Jan 2010, 7:17 pm

mine used to flap a lot now he taps a hanger or something of a similar shape. he does it when he is excited or needs to explain something (explanations and small talk are hard for him).

MorbidMiss
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jan 2010, 9:22 pm

I have never noticed mine "flapping", he will throw his hands out wildly if he feels very frustrated, but more likely that he will make some awful noise instead. His main non-upset stim seems to be singing, very high pitched and frequently adjusting the beat as he pleases. I am considering getting him lessons, as far as stims go if he could just get the key correct most likely no one would even notice so he could do it where ever he pleased as long as it isn't very loud.

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 12:47 am

i do it.... i'm 29

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity

rabryst
Raven
Raven

17 Jan 2010, 4:41 am

I did it yesterday and I'm a young 33 :-)

It doesn't happen often, and yesterday was pretty bad because I was doing verbal stimming as well ("pom pom pom pom pom") in time with the flapping. It stopped almost as soon as I got home, because we had been out in public to have breakfast with friends, and I don't like sitting for hours on end.

csimon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jan 2010, 9:41 pm

My son used to flap hands and now he does some type of abstract hand signals instead. He went from one type of stimming to another on his own. He's now 7.

Hyacynth
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Jan 2010, 1:24 am

My son has never flapped. He twirls his hair as a calming stim and swings his whole arm in a big circle as he runs for a big stim. and for a long time talked without stopping for a general stim.

(edited for spelling.-------- boy was I tired when I wrote that. Tate is not sleeping much these days so neither am I)

Last edited by Hyacynth on 20 Jan 2010, 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colesmom
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Jan 2010, 11:02 am

DS did not flap his hands until recently and it is only his right one. He moves his fingers non-stop when he is awake. About a month ago he started turning his hands up with his arms at his sides and would flap them. Now it is his right one flapping violently out in the air. He also claps in threes when we are expecting a change in weather--he used to clap a lot but doesn't as much.

bkphipps
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jan 2010, 1:30 pm

My daughter will be 8 in Feb and she does the hand flapping when she's excited or doing her imagination.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 1:38 pm

My son used to hand flap, but since he's been learning to play piano he's started drumming his fingers instead. What's interesting is that he's not just "drumming", he's playing broken chords, or practising phrases of music he's learning.

He's obviously obsessed with music, and his stimming is in fact helping him to progress faster at his chosen subject. But if he doesn't have a flat surface to practise on, he'll resort to hand flapping. I don't mind that so much... well, I'm thirty eight, and I'm still at it.

I think it gets more contained, and managable as you get older.

rabryst
Raven
Raven

22 Jan 2010, 2:08 pm

Mine is always done to some sort of rhythm, often to a song or song fragment that is running through my head. It helps me cover it better in public.

valkyrieraven88
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jan 2010, 6:01 am

21 and I still do it sometimes...I realize it's not "normal" so I don't do it in public but when I'm really happy or excited I'll do it. A few weeks ago my NT boyfriend saw me do it for the first time. He kind of gave me a weird look but he knows I have Asperger's so he just shrugged.

barbedlotus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Jan 2010, 12:35 pm

My two year old does it a lot when he's excited.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 12:47 pm

I'm 15 and I do it a lot.

liz2008
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Jan 2010, 5:40 pm

My son used to do it all the time when he was younger. Once he started school, though, he learned to control it in public. He's 19 now and every once in awhile, I'll notice him doing a toned down version of handflapping - more like a couple of quick shakes of his hands.

My husband says he also used to handflap when he was young. I don't see it often but he still does it every once in awhile.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2010, 10:20 pm

My 8 year old son flaps a lot. I think it started when he was about 3 or 4 and the first definate memory I have of it was when we went to a model railway exhibition and he saw a working model of Thomas the Tank Engine! :D