TV characters confirmed to have Aspergers

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jocundthelilac
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 11:47 am

Whether mentioned in the show or by the creators.

I know there's that girl on Waterloo Road, but I don't watch that. Any more examples of "official" AS characters in the media and not just idle speculation?

Magnús Scheving is my Icelandic rose :)

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 11:52 am

There is that guy in Boston Legal. And I know that one episode of House had one of them questioning whether House might be.

18 Jan 2010, 1:34 pm

They said House didn't have it and he was just an as*hole and he wants to have it so he have an excuse.

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 2:08 pm

Darryl Hannah who plays the lead female character as a mermaid in the film, "Splash" was diagnosed with Autism as a child.

Besides the film "Splash," Darryl Hannah was also in the film, "Steel Magnolia" and many other films in the 1980s.

Aietra
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Jan 2010, 3:10 pm

Well, I hear the writers of 'The Big Bang Theory' and the actor who plays Sheldon reckon the character couldn't show more signs of being AS! But it's not a confirmed diagnosis or anything - they prefer to say he's just 'Sheldon-y'.

caramateo
Toucan
Toucan

18 Jan 2010, 3:46 pm

Dr. Brenan in Bones is supposed to be AS but I think is a really bad impersonation of someone with AS.

jocundthelilac
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2010, 6:05 am

From someone on the Skins thread (apparently, JJ, one of the main characters has been diagnosed AS):

Quote:
Just re-watched the JJ episode. He definitely is supposed to be "low-end Autistic, Aspergers" as described in an evaluation he reads after coming home from his doctor visit. I don't want to give any spoilers so I will just say that the writers makes sure they hammer in the symptoms. He has "rage incidents and mentions that he can only wear 100% cotton because synthetics bother him. He also has an anxiety disorder. When he tells his doctor he is still constantly worrying, the doctor tells him, "just don't do that!) All the doctor wants to do is throw more drugs at JJ. Don't we all know that experience? As with most media portrayals, everything is exaggerated. I think that happens because the writers are trying to show a typical Aspie and can't be subtle about a condition that has many variations.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2010, 7:31 am

The thing is I dont believe bones has as because it seems she just became the way she is since her parents left/died and brother left.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2010, 9:31 am

caramateo wrote:
Dr. Brenan in Bones is supposed to be AS but I think is a really bad impersonation of someone with AS.

I haven't seen any confirmation of it and I have a really hard time believing that anyone on the show really does have AS

MinorAnnoyance
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jan 2010, 6:16 pm

raisedbyignorance wrote:
caramateo wrote:

I haven't seen any confirmation of it and I have a really hard time believing that anyone on the show really does have AS

Here's an article that speaks regarding that: http://www.philly.com/dailynews/columni ... dural.html

Also on Community Abed is strongly suggested to have AS in the first episode. It is mentioned by name.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2010, 8:06 pm

Then we will go with zack one of the characters I miss most.

DarrylZero
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 2:02 am

There's a character from the show "ReGenesis" that has AS. It's mentioned on the show. I can't remember his name, though...I've only seen the first couple of episodes.

jocundthelilac
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 10:38 am

It seems there's a lot more than I thought, but only in cult/low-appeal shows.

I think it's time that a major primetime TV show like Eastenders or Coronation Street had a character with AS that would being the condition to national attention.

Laconvivencia
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 11:51 am

jocundthelilac wrote:

I think it's time that a major primetime TV show like Eastenders or Coronation Street had a character with AS that would being the condition to national attention.

Roy Cropper from Corination Street, is rumured to have aspergers.

Aietra
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Jan 2010, 1:23 pm

Laconvivencia wrote:
jocundthelilac wrote:

Roy Cropper from Corination Street, is rumured to have aspergers.

I like Roy. :) He's the only nice one on the whole street! (As well as Hayley). Haven't watched Coro for months... I watched it last night and most of the characters had gotten haircuts so I couldn't recognize them! And where did all these menacing-talking blokes come from?!

Hope Roy ends up officially diagnosed...that'd bring it to people's attention, but via a really good, nice character.

He's been on it for years, though, hasn't he? Quite possibly since before AS was an official diagnosis. So he can't have been intentionally created to have it.

By the way, there's a very badly-acted Aspie called Gabrielle on a very badly-acted New Zealand drama series called Shortland Street. She's officially diagnosed. Never seen that series myself, except for one episode before Gabrielle arrived on the scene, but I know a frightening number of people who are obsessed with it, and they reckon that character's atrociously done!

jocundthelilac
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 8:52 am

Oh GAWD I used to watch Shortland Street when it was on ITV years ago.

I don't watch Corro but I don't think they'll diagnose Roy. They'll just add another already-diagnosed kid to the cast or something.