ARRGHHHH!!!long tedious assignments and short attention span

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2010, 9:38 pm

ARRGGHH.....I have to finish a 30 page shares agreement for my commercial law class and that is boring as can be and with such I have to read the whole thing and change various clauses and such.Then I have to do a long information sheet in family law and a retainer agreement....Then real estate...a big huge file...arrgghh....with my short attention span its going to be very hard.I was dxed for my AS, but not sure about ADHD...whether i have it or not.I seem to have traits for it...My attention span is really short and I get distracted easily, am feeling a surge of energy at times and feel very fidgety, but other times I feel drained.When reading stuff, I want to read it and skim through since my mind is going fast...but when forced to read it slowly and carefully, I lose focus and get distracted and can't keep going.

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

Shadwell
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 12:16 am

I know how you feel. As an art student attention is crucial. Sometimes I'm able to hyper-focus but I have a lot of trouble.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 2:59 am

I got the agreement done..which is a big step...a couple shots of Banff Ice Vodka did the trick...now working on the family law assignment.

Shadwell
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 2:11 pm

Alcohol can help but you know its also taxing on the health. Maybe you should see a psychiatrist.

lotsofsnails
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Jan 2010, 1:40 pm

I'm absolutely dreadful at concentrating. I swear I was never this bad at school. I blame the internet. But yeah, I was reading some meta-ethics last night, and I averaged like 11 minutes per page (and these were A5 pages :x)

kraken
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Jan 2010, 5:51 pm

Try this trick.

Instead of focusing on completing an entire assignment, figure out how long your attention span can run. Break the assignment into its component parts, perhaps a few pages at a time. Complete a section, and then take a break for 15-30 minutes. Then go back and do the next section, and take another break. As long as you do not wait until the last minute to begin, this will allow you to tackle a large assignment even with a short attention span.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2010, 3:02 am

I managed to get my real estate file done...and that shares agreement was handed in a long time ago and same with the family law assignment.I got a 70 on the family law one. :)