She treats me like I am unintelligent

Page 2 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2009
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,523
Location: Singapore

23 Jan 2010, 10:02 am

Your success is based on how you deal with your situation (mine too)... though environment plays an important role, too.

Good luck.


_________________
Ex amicitia vita


TomAdams92
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2009
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 90

23 Jan 2010, 11:09 am

aaw i get that all the time, its easy for teachers to judge your for your aspergers syndrome. If you can just prove the teachers wrong or use your wit to prove your not a retard, then there shocked as f**k and for you personally its one of the greatest feelings ever.



ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2009
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,523
Location: Singapore

23 Jan 2010, 11:50 am

Just be yourself --- don't have to prove anything. Try to cope with it, and try to press on with a smile. :D It helps.


_________________
Ex amicitia vita


LolaGranola
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Posts: 430
Location: 1994

23 Jan 2010, 3:12 pm

Withdrawn wrote:
deep-techno wrote:
Not sure if this would be the right approach...

...tell the teacher fo f**k off?

I wouldn't do that by any means but maybe someone else has.


Thanks for the advice, I guess. :)
I'm unfortunately too terrified... I can't say more than a few words.
And that's a big problem! I can't tell her that I dislike her way to treat me.


Write her a letter, but select your words carefully. Perhaps show it to one of you parents first for their opinion, so that while you make your point, don't get yourself into trouble?


_________________
"I've been really, really anti-social for the past few years, and I'm just starting to get over it, and come out of my shell, and be able to like people again" - D'Arcy Wretzky


Etular
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jan 2010
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Posts: 231
Location: England

23 Jan 2010, 5:41 pm

TheOddGoat wrote:
I think the problem is her, some teachers are like that.

Even if you spoke to her I think she'd be like that.

You're only 13, and around that age teachers still don't necessarily need to be smart because they can teach you from a book.


Agreed with the above quote 100%. I have had many a supply teacher that has, one way or another, learned I have Aspergers and spoken to me all basic. Funniest moment was when one of the normal teachers came in at the end of the lesson when I was leaving, the supply said "Congratulations Daniel, you have done so much work today!" and the other teacher just gave the supply the weirdest look and said "Yeah, Daniel is normally always a hard-worker.".

However, with a true teacher, all you can really do is get to know them and show them who you really are - shine with your excellent vocabulary or, more accurately:

Vince wrote:
Just say "I find the patronizing way you speak to me rather insulting."



Withdrawn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 399
Location: Sweden

23 Jan 2010, 6:53 pm

It is very nice of you all to answer this thread.

What do you think about;

"Good evening, (name of teacher).

I like clearity, that's right. But when it becomes too obvious, it just feels confusing and annoying.
I am not used to be treated as a kiddie who's not able to do anything.
I don't need help in all things I do, either. I can do it by myself, as long as I know how to do.
I would appreciate if you do not treat my as an unintelligent person, because I in fact am a pretty smart girl."

I haven't sent it, but I wonder if this is how I ought to write.

Or maybe the best thing is to prove that I'm not worse than the other kids.
I am not sure yet.


_________________
Best regards,
Withdrawn.


Last edited by Withdrawn on 25 Jan 2010, 1:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Etular
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jan 2010
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Posts: 231
Location: England

23 Jan 2010, 7:32 pm

Withdrawn wrote:
"Good evening, (name of teacher).

I like clearity, that's right. But when it becomes too obvious, it just feels confusing and annoying.
I am not use to be treated as a kiddie who's not able to do anything.
I don't need help in all things I do, either. I can do it by myself, as long as I know how to do.
I would appreciate if you do not treat my as a unintelligent person, because I in fact am a pretty smart girl."

I haven't sent it, but I wonder if this is how I ought to write.


If it were me, I would probably replace "kiddie" with "child" and use alot of complex words, in a way, to prove intelligence. For example, I would probably write something along the lines of (possibly a little nicer):

"Good Evening, [Teacher],

I have sent you this message to assure you that I am in no way incapable of understanding and comprehending basic language. Sure, I may not be able to speak it excellently, but I certainly have no problem understanding it and find your method of speaking to be rather... Demeaning, to say the least. I do not wish to offend, but I feel the way you address me in conversation appears to be a little more basic than if you were to speak to my fellow classmates in the same manner. If you feel my assumption to be incorrect, please, feel free to discuss this with me further next lesson.

Thank you for reading,
Yours Sincerely,
[Name]"

As for how to write, I would suggest a formal letter - as it is, ofcourse, a serious matter or concern than you wish to be addressed and sorted. Ofcourse, it is your decision.

EDIT: Actually, after re-reading my own suggestion, I appear to be beating far too much around the bush, myself.



buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Dec 2008
Age: 79
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,662

23 Jan 2010, 7:35 pm

Quote:
EDIT: Actually, after re-reading my own suggestion, I appear to be beating far too much around the bush, myself.

Their location says Sweden, I'm going to assume the actual note/letter will be in Swedish.



Etular
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jan 2010
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Posts: 231
Location: England

23 Jan 2010, 7:44 pm

buryuntime wrote:
Quote:
EDIT: Actually, after re-reading my own suggestion, I appear to be beating far too much around the bush, myself.

Their location says Sweden, I'm going to assume the actual note/letter will be in Swedish.


I do have a Swedish Translation of my "letter":

Quote:
God afton, [Lärare],
jag har skickat det här brevet för att försäkra er om att jag på något sätt oförmögen att förstå och förstå grundläggande språk. Visst, jag kanske inte kan tala det utmärkt, men jag har verkligen inga problem att förstå det och hitta ditt sätt att tala till vara ganska .. Nedlåtande, minst sagt. Jag vill inte såra, men jag känner hur du adresserar mig i samtal verkar vara lite mer grundläggande än om du skulle tala med mina klasskamrater på samma sätt. Om du känner mitt antagande vara felaktig, vänligen gärna diskutera detta med mig vidare nästa lektion.
[Namn]


I merely wondered whether or not it be appropriate to post in another language on what (I assume) is an English Forums.

EDIT: I once again apologise. Babelfish appears to have mistranslated many sections of my former letter to the point where it may even say the opposite of what I had written in English...



Withdrawn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 399
Location: Sweden

24 Jan 2010, 5:36 am

Etular: I did not know that "kiddie" was a slang word (if that's what it is). In fact, I don't know so many English words, but it's easier for me to write in Swedish, and that's the language I will use.
Your letter was very good. If I will write to her, I virtually will write it in the way you did.



Last edited by Withdrawn on 25 Jan 2010, 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Etular
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jan 2010
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Posts: 231
Location: England

24 Jan 2010, 7:17 am

Withdrawn wrote:
Etular: I did not know that "kiddie" was a slang word (if that's what it is). In fact, I don't know so many English words, but it's easier for me to write in Swedish, and that's the language I will use.
Your letter was very good. If I will write to her, I virtually will write the way you did.


Thank you. It isn't necessarily slang, but is more-or-less a casual, informal word - in which case, the word it self would be more of less used to describe a child at a very young age (In which case, by about age 5-7 the word "kiddie" would be changed to "child" and by 13 it would change again to "teenager"). I apologise for forgetting to take into account your lack of knowledge on some English words (I was tempted to bring that up, to be honest, but decided not to because it would've sounded somewhat insulting if I was incorrect).

As for the letter, thank you. I'm merely worried that some of the translation may have been incorrect or some words may have been changed.



Withdrawn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 399
Location: Sweden

24 Jan 2010, 8:50 am

Etular wrote:
Thank you. It isn't necessarily slang, but is more-or-less a casual, informal word - in which case, the word it self would be more of less used to describe a child at a very young age (In which case, by about age 5-7 the word "kiddie" would be changed to "child" and by 13 it would change again to "teenager"). I apologise for forgetting to take into account your lack of knowledge on some English words (I was tempted to bring that up, to be honest, but decided not to because it would've sounded somewhat insulting if I was incorrect).

As for the letter, thank you. I'm merely worried that some of the translation may have been incorrect or some words may have been changed.


Ok. :) What I meant about "kiddie" was not that I am a kiddie, but that it feels like she deals with me as I were a kiddie, ie a very young child.
I guess I expressed it incorrectly.

In the translated letter it is written, inter alia, that I really am incapable of understanding and comprehending basic language. :wink:

I wouldn't get upset or something if you'd write that my knowledge of English is bad. I am already aware of it. :P



Last edited by Withdrawn on 24 Jan 2010, 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Dec 2008
Age: 79
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,662

24 Jan 2010, 2:06 pm

Withdrawn wrote:
Etular wrote:
Thank you. It isn't necessarily slang, but is more-or-less a casual, informal word - in which case, the word it self would be more of less used to describe a child at a very young age (In which case, by about age 5-7 the word "kiddie" would be changed to "child" and by 13 it would change again to "teenager"). I apologise for forgetting to take into account your lack of knowledge on some English words (I was tempted to bring that up, to be honest, but decided not to because it would've sounded somewhat insulting if I was incorrect).

As for the letter, thank you. I'm merely worried that some of the translation may have been incorrect or some words may have been changed.


Ok. :) What I meant about "kiddie" was not that I am a kiddie, but that it feels like she deals with me as I were a kiddie, ie a very young child.
I guess I expressed it incorrectly.

In the translated letter it is written, inter alia, that I really am incapable of understanding and comprehending basic language. :wink:

I wouldn't get upset or something if you'd write that my knowledges of English were bad. I am already aware of it. :P

In that case:

"She treats me like I am unintelligent"
"I wouldn't get upset or something if you'd write that my knowledge of English is bad."

But I do not think your English is bad, I am sure it will improve anyway.



Withdrawn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 399
Location: Sweden

24 Jan 2010, 2:20 pm

buryuntime wrote:
In that case:

"She treats me like I am unintelligent"
"I wouldn't get upset or something if you'd write that my knowledge of English is bad."

But I do not think your English is bad, I am sure it will improve anyway.


Thank you! Now I know that.
I promise that I will practise... 8)



mgran
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 May 2009
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,864

24 Jan 2010, 5:37 pm

Hi Withdrawn, I had no idea that English wasn't your first language! Even your use of the subjunctive (she treats me as though I were unintelligent) though old fashioned in modern English isn't incorrect. I take it in Sweden you learn English from primary school? You write it very well.

Please let us know what happens with your letter. I've been thinking about you, and wishing you well. (Actually, I'll admit it, I've prayed for you... I don't want to offend the non religious, and I certainly don't want to offend you with my beliefs, but it's all I can do from here.)

Anyway, please keep us updated, and also, bear in mind that whatever your teacher thinks, there are plenty of people here who think very highly of you. I'm impressed with your courage in confronting this issue, and your honesty. So, best wishes, and I'm sure everyone on this thread is united in wishing you the best.