Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Aspiewriter
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jan 2010, 11:01 pm

I have finally gotten another Xbox 360 and am playing Fallout 3 again. But I can't wait for Fallout New Vegas. I am hoping it's going to be like Fallout 3 playing wise. Of course it's going to be a FPS, but I am hoping you can level up the same way as with Fallout 3. And I hope it's as open world with lots of wasteland, and you can tackle whatever quests you want. But then again, I hope there'll be some gambling because it's Vegas. I am not sure you will start out in a vault though. What sort of character might it be then? Is it a brotherhood from Brotherhood of Steel? A former Enclave soldier? What do you think? I also think it would be fun if you were a good Super Mutant. Or a ghoul. Or that you could pick what you want to start out as, a ghoul, super mutant, soldier, etc...

monsterland
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 2:22 am

I predict it will be close in quality to Fallout 3, with slightly refined VATS, and dialogue options will be in double-digit IQ range instead of single-digit. The graphics won't be entirely urine-colored anymore.

Still, like its immediate predecessor, it will lag a long, long way behind Fallout 1 when it comes to choice&consequence, the amount of world reaction to your stats and actions, and overall believability of the environment and its inhabitants' agendas.

Irada
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jan 2010, 4:25 am

Bethesda Softworks is not developing it, only publishing it, so wether this is good or not is up for debate. Hand the franchise over to BioWare in my opinion.

monsterland
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 5:38 am

That's why I said there will be some improvements. If Bethesda was doing it, the dialogue would stay at the inane level, but with Obsidian in charge there's a good chance that we will not see such exchanges as:

"I am fighting the good fight"

[Intelligence] "So you are fighting the good fight !"
"Goodbye !"

... again.

Ravenitrius
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 5:41 am

I'm very happy by the fact that Obsidian Entertainment is developing the game because most of the developers of OE were apart of Black Isle Studios who developed Fallout 1 and 2. I'm only hoping the game has High Quality dialogues that are better then Bethesda. (I truly hate Bethesda really). (Fallout 3 originally was a huge disappointment). That and reading Chris Avellone twitters on FO3: Las Vegas is funny (He's a developer working on it) Not to mention that Bethesda let OE have free reigns on deciding the games direction. (Also Super Mutants are not evil) (Maybe the New California Republic will have a role in Fallout: Las Vegas) (Hoping?!)

Irada
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jan 2010, 8:21 am

monsterland wrote:
That's why I said there will be some improvements. If Bethesda was doing it, the dialogue would stay at the inane level, but with Obsidian in charge there's a good chance that we will not see such exchanges as:

"I am fighting the good fight"

[Intelligence] "So you are fighting the good fight !"
"Goodbye !"

... again.

[Stupid] Hurrr? I go fight food?

I'm hoping for a more compelling narrative and characters which are actually shaped to mean something to you. None of the:
"Ok, one of us is going to have to go into the poison filled room to save the giant water filter, who's it going to be?"
"Ummm.... you."

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 2:17 pm

I'm hoping for a decent game, coming from Obsidian and all, but I'm pretty bummed that Bethesda is forcing them to use the Fallout 3 engine.

I haven't actually seen it in action, only seen screenshots, but from what I have seen...that engine has the most completely awful, ugly, no-contrast, flat looking lighting I've seen in the past ten years :x

SirLogiC
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jan 2010, 3:02 am

Bethesda HQ resides square in the depth of the Uncanny Valley.

The games they make are fun and the (Oblivion) engine is amazing for pretty graphics and long draw distances. However the people in their games may as well be plastic mannequins, they have the personality of them. I think for Fallout 3 they got some 10 year olds to write dialogue and all non-plot characters. Oblivion probably had the most unnatural sounding random chatter ever as well.

Here is a review that somewhat describes what I mean. Its NSFW!! ! very course language!

I can only hope that the team making New Vegas use Bethesda's engine but also have competent script writers so a game that looks good and plays good also feels like a Fallout game and has interesting characters.

Ravenitrius
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2010, 4:44 am

SirLogiC wrote:

I can only hope that the team making New Vegas use Bethesda's engine but also have competent script writers so a game that looks good and plays good also feels like a Fallout game and has interesting characters.

That be Chris Avellone. His dialogues for characters are actually quite enjoyable.

SirLogiC
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jan 2010, 7:09 am

He has worked on some great RPGs in the past, including Fallout 2 and Planescape: Torment, which imo is the best story driven RPG ever.

I had heard he was working on New Vegas, but had forgot. I am optimistic for this title :D

Aspiewriter
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jan 2010, 12:58 pm

I honestly love Bethesda. Their games with the silly dialogue just seems rather charming to me. It makes me laugh every time. I love those Super Mutants. So I am a bit nervous as to the new studio working on Fallout New Vegas; however, I have played Obsidian studios games before, so I think it will go fine.

Ravenitrius
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2010, 5:16 pm

Chris Avellone is also the author of the Fallout Bible.

Fallout Bible

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 7:02 pm

Aspiewriter wrote:
So I am a bit nervous as to the old studio working on Fallout New Vegas;

Fixed it for you :wink:

HAL_9000
Toucan
Toucan

25 Jan 2010, 8:25 am

I just hope they aren't forced to out the game early or something. Obsidian's games never reach the level they could hit because pubishers seem to kick the games out early.

Aspiewriter
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jan 2010, 2:54 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Aspiewriter wrote:
So I am a bit nervous as to the old studio working on Fallout New Vegas;

Fixed it for you :wink:

Right. Obsidian has been around awhile. Thanks for the fix. <slaps forehead>

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 12:15 am

Aren't they supposed to be releasing a Fallout MMO? I'm looking forward to that.