Do/did you like writing research papers?

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2016, 2:19 pm

Yes, but I frequently get writer's block which really gets in the way of writing, which is something I like to do as a hobby. I'm a perfectionist, and want my first draft to be perfect so want usually happens is I stare at the screen for what can seem like hours on end, just thinking of what to write and how to write it.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2016, 2:23 pm

I don't know. I never wrote one before. I was homeschooled and my mother only made me do what was necessary so I wouldn't "get sent back to public school".

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2016, 2:31 pm

SilverProteus wrote:
Yes, but I frequently get writer's block which really gets in the way of writing, which is something I like to do as a hobby. I'm a perfectionist, and want my first draft to be perfect so want usually happens is I stare at the screen for what can seem like hours on end, just thinking of what to write and how to write it.

This is me. Also, anything I write early on just isn't good enough for what I expect of myself - I don't know why but I seem to need the adrenaline rush of an impending deadline to really get in the right frame of mind. When I reach that point I have little epiphanies and the essay comes together, but I have to pull all-nighters every. single. time. ... :roll:

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2016, 4:16 pm

Absolutely not. No way, no how.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2016, 2:08 pm

Old thread but oh well :wink:

It can take me a while to get started on one, but once I get into it, I REALLY get into it and enjoy it.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

voidofcontext
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Dec 2016, 2:19 pm

I really enjoy writing and have been told my academic writing style well developed and very pleasant to read, which seems to be an achievement in its own right based on how this has been presented to me! However, if it's not something I am immediately interested in, I struggle a lot due to having real trouble with planning and managing my time.

DarkLady
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Jan 2017, 11:29 am

It was my favorite part of history.

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 10:36 pm

I like writing creative nonfiction. Not as dry, citation is less important, but you still do a lot of research.

shinylights
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Jan 2017, 11:23 pm

I loved/love it when I can choose my own topic. I remember hating papers that were on assigned topics, except one on organic gardening, which I happened to find fascinating.

LadyOfTheLake
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Mar 2017, 12:56 pm

I love researching and thinking, but I hate writing, because I can't write if I have to pay attention to getting the formal stuff right.

Caesar
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2017, 8:37 pm

The idea of doing research of stuff sounded fun in my head but when we had graphic design or video assignments I always hated doing the long boring research part before you actually got to work on the product itself.
It's an important part but I never liked it.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2017, 4:49 am

I found writing essays hard because before uni, I had never written an essay in my life. So I had to learn quickly. Google Scholar is great. The best paper I ever wrote was on prosopagnosia (face blindness). I got a very high grade for that.

Most of the time though, I preferred writing reports. They had a set structure which I liked.