Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Mattsmum
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jan 2010, 11:55 am

Thank you all for your valuable insight. When I asked my son (who is 6) why he doesn't like to read with the 'up and down voice' only the 'straight line voice' (as we call it!) he said 'its too difficult'. This makes me think that its too much of a distraction for him as he's concentrating on the words and also very 'fake' for him. I will ask his teachers to by all means encourage him on the expression (and eye contact) if he wants to, but definitely not to pressure or force him.

As a parent I want to thank EVERYONE who takes the trouble to reply to posts to parents. Wrong planet forums are so helpful. I feel very lucky that I can seek advice and solutions to help my child and make school life as comfortable for him as possible. Just as many aspies find it hard to fathom an NT mind, it's difficult for NT's to understand an aspie mind - as a parent you fear misinterpreting their needs and causing more anxiety for your child so thanks.

TheSpecialKid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jan 2010, 12:56 pm

robinhood wrote:
I find that whenever I do something which I think is accentuating what I'm saying, or the way my face is, that it comes through at about a quarter of the "volume" than what I thought. I think I'm varying my vocal tone, but other people don't. Also when I think I'm smiling, I'm barely turning up the corners of my mouth. If I'm animated about something it changes, but in most situations this seems to be the way I am.

Same goes for me.
I actually shocked myself, looking in the mirror on day, when I thought I was smiling. 8O

Matt55
Raven
Raven

29 Jan 2010, 12:44 am

The only times I ever speak in a monotone voice is when I am exceptionally bored, tired, or sick. Then again dosn't that apply to NT's as well? 99.9% of the time, my tone of voice is very neurotypical; I put emphasis on certain words and my tone of voice changes to fit the context of what I am speaking about.

Brandon-J
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2010, 12:49 am

superboyian wrote:
McTell wrote:
Mattsmum wrote:
I know he can do it, but after a few lines of reading the book in a more espressive tone, he protests and stops. He seems to find it mentally tiring / difficult.

Perhaps he also finds it embarrassing to talk with lots of expression, and so uses a flat tone for fear of sounding silly and drawing unwanted attention to himself. I know that was what stopped me from reading with any expression when I was in school; I felt safer and less exposed using a flat tone.

That could actually be the point, because when i'm embarrassed, I actually tend to occasionally talk in a flat tone when I happen to get embarrassed by whatever reason?
So it could most likely be the case or possibly could be really concentrating on his reading most possibly... I think this is a common problem that i've personally seen in autism/aspergers.

BINGO

"If you feed your faith your fears will starve to death"

http://www.youtube.com/user/BrandonJ280

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2010, 7:11 am

I talk in a monotone voice, but I used to get told I was very expressive when reading a story. I can't seem to apply it to real life.

Strange, but no case of AS is the same as was said earlier.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2010, 2:16 pm

What I found to be annoying with useing expression, is the idea that I am being judged a little, having to be someone else, and such. Tireing? yes. Any person would prefer to be comfortable.

blackjack89
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jan 2010, 4:37 pm

I tend to have a monotonous voice, it used to be a lot worse I think in middle school.
But I still have a pretty flat voice.

Anyway, it seems like it just takes a lot of effort for me to emphasize things especially when reading.
Once I pretended that I lost my voice so I wouldn't have to read outloud.

When I did read outloud everyone would stare at me.

I feel like I sound like an idiot when I emphasize things.