Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2010, 8:48 pm

Surely you've heard of the boy bands Backstreet boys and Nsync (they were popular when I was a kid) but we know if it wasn't for the Beatles we wouldn't of had these "boy bands" and they were more than likely the first OR WERE THEY? Also #1 rocker Elvis Presley OR WAS HE? Beatles and Elvis get all this talk just like Mario is to videogames and yet there were videogames BEFORE Mario he just got the fame and popularity as these singers have. So who came BEFORE Elvis and the Beatles?

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2010, 9:02 pm

Here are a few from the 1940s:

1. When You Wish Upon a Star - Glenn Miller
2. In The Mood - Glenn Miller
3. When The Swallows Come Back To Capistrano - Ink Spots
4. Body and Soul - Coleman Hawkins
5. Beat Me Daddy, Eight To The Bar - Will Bradley
6. Frenesi - Artie Shaw
7. Tuxedo Junction - Glenn Miller
8. I'll Never Smile Again - Tommy Dorsey
9. Sierra Sue - Bing Crosby
10. Blueberry Hill - Glenn Miller
11. Careless - Glenn Miller
12. Ferryboat Serenade - Andrews Sisters
13. The Woodpecker Song - Glenn Miller
14. The Breeze and I - Jimmy Dorsey
15. Only Forever - Bing Crosby
16. Imagination - Glenn Miller
17. All The Things
You Are - Tommy Dorsey
18. Ballad For Americans - Paul Robeson
19. Trade Winds - Bing Crosby
20. Ma (He's Making Eyes at Me) - Dick Robertson
21. Where Was I? - Charlie Barnet
22. Fools Rush In - Glenn Miller
23. Only Forever - Bing Crosby
24. Celery Stalks At Midnight - Will Bradley
25. Make-Believe Island - Mitchell Ayres

Then these and many others came along in the 1950s:

1. Rock Around The Clock - Bill Haley and His Comets
2. Rock and Roll is Here To Stay - Danny & the Juniors
3. Blueberry Hill - Fats Domino
4. At The Hop - Danny and the Juniors
5. Little Bitty Pretty One - Thurston Harris
6. The ABC's Of Love - Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers
7. All Shook Up - Elvis Presley
8. Little Darlin' - The Diamonds
9. Come Go With Me - Dell-Vikings
10. Kansas City - Wilbert Harrison
11. Love Is Strange - Mickey and Sylvia
12. Be-Bop-A-Lula - Gene Vincent
13. I'm Walkin' - Fats Domino
14. Peggy Sue - Buddy Holly
15. School Day - Chuck Berry
16. What'd I Say - Ray Charles
17. The Stroll - The Diamonds
18. Goody Goody - Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers
19. Stood Up - Ricky Nelson
20. Chantilly Lace - Big Bopper

Elvis got a lot of his inspiration from quite a variety of influences, including Gospel.

Maybe somebody else knows who or what inspired The Beatles ...

release_the_bats
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2010, 9:36 pm

The Bay City Rollers are an amusing example of a boy band that was popular in the 1970's:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNLdOx5zcRs[/youtube]

But they *apparently* played instruments. Apparently, they were a boring local band until they somehow acquired a manager who dressed them in plaid bell-bottoms and wrote songs for them.

A girl actually drowned in an attempt to swim across a pond to the opposite shore, where they were playing.

zeldapsychology wrote:
So who came BEFORE Elvis and the Beatles?

Woah, that's a question that requires a long and complicated answer. Many books have been written on the subject.

Before The Beatles? What aspect(s) of what made The Beatles appealing are you referring to?

So many bands were playing that kind of music before The Beatles came along, I can't answer that question without some further specificity.

Elvis basically fused Marty-Robbins-type western music with the rock and roll that was already popular among African-Americans (see Chuck Berry, etc), thereby appealing to a white audience. But this wasn't his idea. And other white people, such as Eddie Cochran, and Jerry Lee Lewis, were doing the same thing around the same time. But Elvis stuck around longer in terms of popularity. Eddie Cochran died at a very young age; arguably, he would have been what people equate with Elvis in the 50's if he had lived a bit longer.

^ That answer is absurdly insufficient by virtue of its brevity.

It's hard to broach the subject in a post-sized answer.

A lot of people like Peter Guralnik's books about the early history of rock and roll. Go to the library?

(And maybe I'll concoct a longer and hence more accurate post when I have the energy.)

It's a lot of fun to research! The answer goes back beyond the history of recorded sound and includes A LOT of good music! :D

RhettOracle
Toucan
Toucan

25 Jan 2010, 10:15 pm

Before The Beatles and Elvis were famous, there were individual singers who had the early equivalent of "-mania." In the early '50s, Johnnie Ray was wildly popular. In the '40s it was Frank Sinatra, in the '30s it was Rudy Vallee and in the '20s it was Al Jolson. They had just stunning levels of popularity for their day, complete with the shrieking, fainting women and mobs of people flocking to see them. You should also consider that there wasn't the kind of mass-media exposure there is today. These singers became famous by making personal appearances, 78 RPM single records (not albums) that were played on jukeboxes as well as bought by fans, and singing live on the radio. Once they achieved a certain level of fame, they were able to branch out into acting in movies. Sound familiar?

Elvis was a country boy who grew up listening to gospel, and what used to be called "hillbilly music" - country and folk songs by mainly poor white people, and "race music" - that is, R&B music by black people that was only played on a very few radio stations. He was able to synthesize the country and R&B sounds into a new kind of music that was just being born. They didn't call it rock and roll yet when Elvis cut "That's All Right (Mama)," a song by blues artist Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup. Adults didn't know what to make of him. He was handsome, and sexy, and he was a white boy who sang and danced like a black man. This made him dangerous in the eyes of a lot of parents and authority figures. There was a lot of racism in those days, and many white parents forbade their children from listening to that "n***** music" - as well as any records by black people. But to the kids who had never seen or heard anything like him, Elvis was electric. He made thousands of young people want to be like him. They took up singing, and trying to play the guitar licks they heard Scotty Moore play on Elvis' records. As Elvis became more and more famous, people wanted to hear more music from Sun Studios, and then Carl Perkins was next to become a star, then Jerry Lee Lewis after him. Perkins inspired a generation of guitarists who longed to emulate his rockabilly style. American music was just about to burst at the seams, and it began to be heard in places like England. American seamen would buy these 45 RPM singles in the States, and when they docked at English ports such as Liverpool, they would sell the records to rabid English fans, who could not get them any other way. And a legion of English rock and rockabilly fans was inspired to be like these Yanks who were playing a kind of music they had never heard before.

John Lennon was one such English kid who was a rabid fan of Elvis and Little Richard and Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly, and many of the American R&B and R&R songs he could hear on shortwave radio, coming from places such as Radio Luxembourg. Across town, Paul McCartney was similarly enthralled by the same music, including songs by Eddie Cochran, and his schoolmate George Harrison was an aficionado of Carl Perkins' guitar style. In 1956, an English singer named Lonnie Donegan covered an American country blues record by Huddie Ledbetter, who was known as "Leadbelly." It was called "Rock Island Line," and it was played in a style called "skiffle" by the British. This song started a revolution in England. Suddenly, hundreds and thousands of young boys were taking up skiffle, because it could be played by anyone with modest talent. It used acoustic guitars and stomping feet and washboard percussion and washtub bass - things their mothers had around the house. It became a national obsession among young people, then, coincidentally, rock and roll music reached England, and lives were changed.

John Lennon put together a skiffle group with ever-changing members, and they would play anywhere they could get an audience. He named the group The Quarrymen, after the school they attended - Quarry Bank. One such Quarrymen gig was at a church fair held in a Liverpool park, on July 6, 1957. They were seen by Paul McCartney, who didn't know them, but appreciated the talent of their singer/guitarist. The two met for the first time that day, and Paul demonstrated his ability to play the Eddie Cochran song "Twenty Flight Rock" on the guitar, and he sang all of the words correctly. Lennon was impressed. He was now aware that there was a large disparity in the talents of the guys in the group and this new kid. He was faced with the decision to remain an amateur with amateur players, or invite the new guy to join the group. He went with the new guy. Eventually, Paul brought his friend George to see them play, and George was invited into the group on the strength of his Carl Perkins licks and still very raw, but impressive ability to play lead guitar. The other Quarrymen dropped off the radar one by one, until it was just the three of them. Sometimes they'd play without a drummer, because drummers were quite hard to come by.

The three honed their craft playing the songs of American R&B and R&R artists that were taking the world by storm. They would soon drop the skiffle entirely and focus on the music of Berry, Holly, Little Richard, Elvis, Perkins and others. Their influences were shaped by the music of their parents, which was English music-hall stuff and popular male and female vocalists. The mix of all these influences were what made them stand out. Then, they acquired Pete Best as their drummer, and started at the very bottom of the music business, playing hundreds of hours all over the north of England, and then they got booked in Hamburg, Germany. They became among the top three groups in Germany, all of whom were British. Playing twelve hour sets for months on end made them into professional musicians and entertainers. When they came back to Liverpool, they were head and shoulders above the rest of the groups there in terms of sheer professionalism. This attracted the attention of record shop owner Brian Epstein. The rest, as they say, is history.

There were no famous English groups of musicians who wrote their own songs before The Beatles. They were originally trying to write songs as well as the Americans they admired, including Carole King and her husband Gerry Goffin. It was not long before they joined the ranks of professional songwriters based solely upon their own talents. This, in turn, inspired a generation of first English boys, then, after they appeared on Ed Sullivan in February 1964, American boys, to take up guitars, basses and drums, and make up their own songs. And the sixties were born.

release_the_bats
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2010, 10:27 pm

Thanks. That's a good start. But I have to play the "I'm an obsessive nit-picking aspie" card and say:

RhettOracle wrote:
There were no famous English groups of musicians who wrote their own songs before The Beatles.

That's not true.

RhettOracle wrote:
They were originally trying to write songs as well as the Americans they admired, including Carole King and her husband Gerry Goffin. It was not long before they joined the ranks of professional songwriters based solely upon their own talents. This, in turn, inspired a generation of first English boys, then, after they appeared on Ed Sullivan in February 1964, American boys, to take up guitars, basses and drums, and make up their own songs. And the sixties were born.

And, hence, that's not true either.

Look up Screaming Lord Sutch - nice gateway to the English rock and roll scene in the early 60's, before The Beatles.

Not only was he an innovator in his own performances, he was a central figure in the scene in general. Did a lot of introducing people to other people they might like to work with (endless examples).

This video was probably released circa 1965, but it's pretty cool for the time:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwYzfxSKSMU[/youtube]

I'll post other examples as I think of them.

RhettOracle
Toucan
Toucan

25 Jan 2010, 10:38 pm

release_the_bats wrote:
RhettOracle wrote:
There were no famous English groups of musicians who wrote their own songs before The Beatles.
That's not true.

Please supply some evidence to the contrary.

release_the_bats wrote:
Look up Screaming Lord Sutch - nice gateway to the English rock and roll scene in the early 60's, before The Beatles.

His first records were covers of American R&B songs. The Beatles had already put out two albums containing some of their own compositions before Sutch did the same. The server won't let me post a link to his discography. Look it up as a link from the Wikipedia page.

I didn't come here for an argument. This is being hit on the head lessons.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 4:39 am

RhettOracle wrote:
release_the_bats wrote:
RhettOracle wrote:
That's not true.

Please supply some evidence to the contrary.

RhettOracle is largely correct, although in the wider context, having professional songwriters penning songs for other people to sing was very wide practice everywhere for a long time; I guess if we go back before recording, the split was between opera, church music and whatever (posh, songwritten) against folk (non-posh, singers expected to create, improvise and alter lyrics).

The year is still young.

GriffinGuitar12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jan 2010, 12:19 pm

Who came before Elvis and The Beatles? Two words - Robert Johnson ;)