Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

feaghal
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Feb 2010, 7:32 am

i asked cha cha what autism was, it said " an abnormal absorption with the self; marked by communication disorders and short tension span and inability to treat others as people"...I personally think wtf, but whats your thoughts?

shukri
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Feb 2010, 7:38 am

feaghal wrote:
i asked cha cha what autism was, it said " an abnormal absorption with the self; marked by communication disorders and short tension span and inability to treat others as people"...I personally think wtf, but whats your thoughts?

Haha - sounds like someone got burnt by an aspie in their youth and still needs to get over it. Don't suppose you can get the definition for NT?

feaghal
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Feb 2010, 7:45 am

i should

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2010, 9:45 am

feaghal wrote:

I think wtf too here.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2010, 11:06 am

autism - (psychiatry) an abnormal absorption with the self; marked by communication disorders and short attention span and inability to treat others as . . .

Google pages with exactly this description of Autism

read it and weep, this is the current definition of autism, not something your friend made up to hurt your feelings.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2010, 12:06 pm

If that's true then everyone qualifies.

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2010, 12:30 pm

I have Aspergers syndrome but that does not discribe me at all. I have difficulty with understanding body language, minor sensitivity issues and two or three major obsessions but I care about people, their feelings and treating them as I would like to be treated.

How did they come up with this BS that has little similarity to most who I've interacted with here?

I am really confused by the short attention span thing too, being able to focus on obsessions means that this is not true. It seems more part of ADD or ADHD to me. I know that there are people who have both AS and one of the previous. Also, I know that I can focus on things that are not my obsession and have met others who can do the same.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2010, 1:08 pm

feaghal wrote:

It's a relatively vague definition, and while I don't personally agree with all the implications given under it, I cannot find fault with it at face value beyond the last bit regarding "treat(ing) others as people" being implicitly inaccurate. I could be better, but considering it's a basic telephony-based information service I would not expect a clinical definition to be provided.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

gypsyRN
Toucan
Toucan

04 Feb 2010, 3:02 pm

Cha Cha is based north of Indianapolis...there are a lot of college students who are "guides" that live around here.

Most of the answers are pre-formulated to fit into the character space given, and if they're actually made up by the person who answers the question, they generally get it from Wikipedia, or a similar source. Each "guide" has an area of specialty, so it could've even been answered by a 3rd-year undergrad. psychology major. If you asked the question on a different day, or at a different time, you might get a completely different answer.

Just trying to shed some light.

feaghal
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Feb 2010, 3:19 pm

gypsyRN wrote:
Cha Cha is based north of Indianapolis...there are a lot of college students who are "guides" that live around here.

Most of the answers are pre-formulated to fit into the character space given, and if they're actually made up by the person who answers the question, they generally get it from Wikipedia, or a similar source. Each "guide" has an area of specialty, so it could've even been answered by a 3rd-year undergrad. psychology major. If you asked the question on a different day, or at a different time, you might get a completely different answer.

Just trying to shed some light.

i didnt know that, thx

feaghal
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Feb 2010, 3:21 pm

They didn't have a definition for NT people

lau
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2010, 7:31 pm

To make it clear what this thread is about:
http://www.chacha.com/
(A page that locks up my browser for about 90 seconds of solid CPU processing.)

gypsyRN
Toucan
Toucan

05 Feb 2010, 12:56 am

feaghal wrote:
They didn't have a definition for NT people

This is what wikipedia says:
Neurotypical (or NT) is a term that was coined in the autistic community as a label for people who are not on the autism spectrum

So...in other words..."we" are the only ones who use that term. It isn't very widespread. For awhile, its use was perceived as militant and negative towards those not on the spectrum.

And yeah, that last bit of your cha cha response was kinda crappy sounding, but I don't think it was meant to sound that way. It's like 140 character limit or something. Basically anything over 20 is great, but if they give TOO long of answers, they think people won't bother reading them. (Typical Uh-mericans, hey?)