Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

feaghal
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Feb 2010, 7:36 am

I have asthma and I wouldn't smoke at all, then one day(it was a bad day) I started. (note, I am not a chain smoker, only 3 smokes a day is a stressful day, 2 is average for me) but yes, since I started, its gotten much better. I think it's because the nickiteen is stimulating my airway, but that's me. I in no way promote smoking, don't do it if you can help it. other peoples thoughts?

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2010, 3:28 pm

I don't think it's the nicotine. I've never heard of cigarettes helping asthma, but I know smoking weed helps asthma for some people--this is known to the point where in California they will give you a medical card if you tell them you have asthma.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2010, 6:49 pm

Actually, my Mum has asthma, and the doc told her menthol in cigs would help. It works for her for the same reason they claim it's the worst type for the rest of the population, menthol basically seizes the airway, but for asthmatics, it helps because it usually seizes it open during the inhale, giving them a few hours of easier breathing. So OP, try menthol.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

FuzzyElephants
Raven
Raven

04 Feb 2010, 10:03 pm

Part of it is probably because when you smoke you take deeper breaths than normal. And as mentioned before menthol helps open the airway.

I'm guessing that if you did breathing exersizes comparable to how you breath when you smoke then you'd see an improvement from that aswell. Smoking also relaxes you so that might have something to do with it also.

Either way, in moderation I don't think smoking is as bad as the Truth comertials would have you believe. I honestly doubt that 3 cigs a day ever gave anyone lung cancer that wasn't going to get it anyways (yes, it is possible to get lung cancer even if you don't smoke! Gasp!). Anyways... whatever works.

DreamingElsewhere
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Feb 2010, 8:30 pm

Wow...same thing happened to me. About the time I started smoking, my asthma went away. I didn't smoke menthols, but clove cigarettes.

Weird that someone else noticed the same thing.

Moony
Toucan
Toucan

13 Feb 2010, 2:49 am

I hope you're considering the long term effects of smoking, and that everyone around has to breathe it in if you go near them.

PenguinMom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Feb 2010, 9:11 am

I have heard this before. The theory is that the smoke heats up and relaxes the airways while the nicotine works as a stimulant. The problem is that smoking aggravates the underlying causes of asthma thus making the asthma worse over time. The more you smoke the worse your asthma will get, but you won't notice until things are really bad because it appears to act as a temporary instant solution. Also, if you are smoking as a stress solution the same theory applies. Smoking makes you feel ok about what is stressing you, but it neither solves the problem nor teaches you long term stress management techniques the way mediation, yoga, or excersize would.

conan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2010, 2:34 pm

it could in part be due to the anaesthetics they put in pre rolled cigarettes to mak it not hurt. no joke.
i kinda doubt it is that if you only smoke 2 on an average day.

feaghal
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Feb 2010, 9:40 pm

PenguinMom wrote:
I have heard this before. The theory is that the smoke heats up and relaxes the airways while the nicotine works as a stimulant. The problem is that smoking aggravates the underlying causes of asthma thus making the asthma worse over time. The more you smoke the worse your asthma will get, but you won't notice until things are really bad because it appears to act as a temporary instant solution. Also, if you are smoking as a stress solution the same theory applies. Smoking makes you feel ok about what is stressing you, but it neither solves the problem nor teaches you long term stress management techniques the way mediation, yoga, or excersize would.

well, then i figure, a smoke a day keeps the inhaler away. good moto to me :)

PenguinMom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Feb 2010, 6:43 am

feaghal wrote:
PenguinMom wrote:

well, then i figure, a smoke a day keeps the inhaler away. good moto to me :)

I really hope you are joking. It will only help in the short term. In the long term the asthma will get worse. You will develop other health issues, such as inhallant allergies and emphysema. Think of the cigarette as an evil being trying a trick you into doing something you don't want to do.

PenguinMom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Feb 2010, 1:36 pm

I just want to add, in case you weren't joking, that a smoke a day may keep the inhaler away, but it also brings on the oxygen tank.

feaghal
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Feb 2010, 5:52 pm

well, i aint proud of smoking. but i do know all that you just said before me