Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

PsychonautChaos
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Feb 2010, 7:04 am

I once used an old Acer laptop then I've switched to thinkpad x41. And the difference between those two keyboards was light and day. This made me think, what if there's a keyboard for my desktop computer that's way better for typing.

I mean I type a lot, I dislike using the mouse my dream keyboard would also have a trackpoint or something similar that would allow me to have my hands on the keyboard at all times.

Other than that what's the best keyboards for typing a lot? I don't care about video games or any other stuff like that. I just want a keyboard that's perfect for typing for a looong time. I've searched for a review looking at keyboards from that angle, but was unsuccessful.

Please illuminate my question- What's the best keyboard for fast, comfortable touchtyping?

Scientist
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2010, 8:15 am

After graduating in Experimental Psychology, in the field of Motor Control, I worked on a research project on keyboard designs which intended to prevent Repetitive Strain Injuries / Work Related Upper Extremity Disorders (arm and shoulder pain).

The study I did was a usability study of a vertical keyboard, the Yogitype keyboard with integrated mouse, for images of this design, see:
Yogitype keyboard (Deutsch)
Yogitype keyboard (UK)

We found in our study that people could easily learn to type on it, within a few weeks, when practicing for only a few hours per week. The keyboard has the qwerty layout, but the keys are on the back, but you can see the letters and symbols of the keys on the inside you're facing (you must have learned to blind-type using the ten finger system to use the Yogitype).
We also found that ElectroMyoGraphic (EMG, electrical muscular activity) levels in muscles prone to RSI/WRUED (arm and shoulder pain) were lower when using the Yogitype keyboard than when using a conventional (horizontal) keyboard.

I don't know how important it is for you to have a comfortable keyboard; I just noticed on the English website I just linked to that it is very expensive (on the manufacturer's website (the German one I just linked to) I haven't found the price yet) so it might not be useful for you...

I wish you good luck finding a keyboard that is comfortable for you.

Interests: science, experimental psychology, psychophysics, music (listening and playing (guitar)) and visual arts

Don't focus on your weaknesses, focus on your strengths

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2010, 10:11 am

The Apple Extended Keyboard II is one of the best feeling keyboards ever.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2010, 2:08 pm

It depends on what you're actually looking for. Me, I like a keyboard that has low profile keys. HP/Compaq make these for all their desktops, so I like those, though currently my keyboard is some no brand ten dollar piece of junk. Surprisingly though, I like it.

Your best bet is to go to some store where they actually have the keyboards on display and play around with them for a bit, getting a feel for the keys and the layout. Frys is good for this, and they don't mind you opening boxes so long as you are careful not to rip them. Same with some Best Buys.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

ChevyFan
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Feb 2010, 4:07 pm

gramirez wrote:
The Apple Extended Keyboard II is one of the best feeling keyboards ever.

Why Apple? Why?

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Feb 2010, 7:10 pm

I'm not sure about the trackball/touchpad, but the old dell quiet keys are nice.

ChevyFan
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Feb 2010, 7:11 pm

The Compaq keyboard I have is my favorite even though it is quite noisy when I'm typing.

LordoftheMonkeys
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2010, 7:15 pm

Dvorak layout comes to mind.

I wouldn't recommend it, though. That's just what this post made me think of.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2010, 10:32 pm

http://www.walyou.com/blog/2008/08/12/1 ... ds-to-own/

PsychonautChaos
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Feb 2010, 3:34 am

Scientist wrote:
After graduating in Experimental Psychology, in the field of Motor Control, I worked on a research project on keyboard designs which intended to prevent Repetitive Strain Injuries / Work Related Upper Extremity Disorders (arm and shoulder pain).

The study I did was a usability study of a vertical keyboard, the Yogitype keyboard with integrated mouse, for images of this design, see:
Yogitype keyboard (Deutsch)
Yogitype keyboard (UK)

We found in our study that people could easily learn to type on it, within a few weeks, when practicing for only a few hours per week. The keyboard has the qwerty layout, but the keys are on the back, but you can see the letters and symbols of the keys on the inside you're facing (you must have learned to blind-type using the ten finger system to use the Yogitype).
We also found that ElectroMyoGraphic (EMG, electrical muscular activity) levels in muscles prone to RSI/WRUED (arm and shoulder pain) were lower when using the Yogitype keyboard than when using a conventional (horizontal) keyboard.

I don't know how important it is for you to have a comfortable keyboard; I just noticed on the English website I just linked to that it is very expensive (on the manufacturer's website (the German one I just linked to) I haven't found the price yet) so it might not be useful for you...

I wish you good luck finding a keyboard that is comfortable for you.

The yogitype keyboard costs about 500 pounds (that's more than 750$) I might seem scroogey but I'm not that keen on spending almost a thousand dollars on a keyboard.

What do you guys think about logitech deskop wave?
http://reviews.cnet.com/keyboards/logit ... 57496.html
It seems to be quite nice, and I can buy it in a bundle with a mouse.

ValMikeSmith
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 9:08 am

TELEGRAPH. Only one key! :D

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 9:24 am

LordoftheMonkeys wrote:

Yes, the Dvorak layout was the first thing that came to my own mind, but only because my first computer had that option and I have not since forgotten the name.

The QWERTY layout came into being as a "mechanical necessity" since the far-more-efficient Dvorak layout made it possible for people to type faster than the first typewriters could complete one stroke and respond to the next.

LordoftheMonkeys
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 6:55 pm

leejosepho wrote:
LordoftheMonkeys wrote:

Yes, the Dvorak layout was the first thing that came to my own mind, but only because my first computer had that option and I have not since forgotten the name.

The QWERTY layout came into being as a "mechanical necessity" since the far-more-efficient Dvorak layout made it possible for people to type faster than the first typewriters could complete one stroke and respond to the next.

Well, I for one can type perfectly efficiently on a QWERTY keyboard. It's more intuitive for me. Learning Dvorak to "become more efficient" would just defeat its own purpose. That's why no one uses Dvorak.

Not to mention that I'm a Vim user, which means I like my H, J, K, and L keys to be together.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2010, 8:24 pm

LordoftheMonkeys wrote:
Well, I for one can type perfectly efficiently on a QWERTY keyboard. It's more intuitive for me. Learning Dvorak to "become more efficient" would just defeat its own purpose. That's why no one uses Dvorak.

Not to mention that I'm a Vim user, which means I like my H, J, K, and L keys to be together.

Maybe I used the wrong word when I said "efficient". I was only meaning to say the true typists -- and I can only hunt-and-peck -- but the true typists would be typing faster and would likely turn their noses at the awkward QUERTY layout we now think is "best" or whatever.

LordoftheMonkeys
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2010, 8:59 pm

leejosepho wrote:
LordoftheMonkeys wrote:

Maybe I used the wrong word when I said "efficient". I was only meaning to say the true typists -- and I can only hunt-and-peck -- but the true typists would be typing faster and would likely turn their noses at the awkward QUERTY layout we now think is "best" or whatever.

Do you mean "true typists" in the same sense as "Real Programmers"?

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2010, 9:33 am

For all the talk about ergonomics, I've been fine with QWERTY boards for years.

Most of the problem isn't so much keyboard configuration, it's one of hand position and posture that puts strain on the hands and wrists.