Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

mentalman
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Dec 2004, 12:46 am

Hello all,

I just wanted to rant a little about the Linux Kernel. I just installed Libranet 2.8.1 a few days ago, and needed to add drivers for my Broadcom 4400 ethernet adapter (Dell Inspiron 5100 built-in card). Well, after 50 attempts to figure out why the drivers from Broadcom wouldn't compile, I did another search and found out that Libranet had already made drivers for me.

All I had to do was download and install them....after making a new Kernel by re-compiling it w/ kernel defaults. Well, Libranet makes it easy with XAdminMenu, but it is *frustrating* how long it takes in order to compile the darn thing!! ! And that's even with a Pentium 4 processor at 2.4 Ghz and 512 MB RAM.

Anybody else had this kind of experience?

Let me know,

mentalman

ub3r

13 Dec 2004, 1:52 pm

Yeah, compiling the kernel takes some time, especially if you're compiling one that supports all features/hardware.

However, some projects like Xorg or KDE take much longer for me to compile.

Anna
Toucan
Toucan

13 Dec 2004, 5:29 pm

mentalman wrote:
Hello all,

I just wanted to rant a little about the Linux Kernel.

Let me know,

mentalman

And it still won't support "sleep" on my laptop. It really bugs me. I'm stuck either using windoze or having to hibernate my laptop. Yuck. What an awful choice...

ub3r

13 Dec 2004, 6:05 pm

Yeah, I have that problem too, Linux supports all of my laptop's features except sleep.

It isn't really Linux fault anyway, hardware manufacturers aren't following standards when implementing ACPI.

I prefer a laptop that doesn't sleep over one that runs Windows though :)

Anna
Toucan
Toucan

13 Dec 2004, 8:09 pm

ub3r wrote:
Yeah, I have that problem too, Linux supports all of my laptop's features except sleep.

It isn't really Linux fault anyway, hardware manufacturers aren't following standards when implementing ACPI.

I prefer a laptop that doesn't sleep over one that runs Windows though :)

I understand that. ;-)

My husband bought me a powerbook with Mac OSX cuz he wanted me to have something that would sleep but didn't have to be windoze... but, it has other problems...

ugh. i want the new linux kernel that claims it'll support sleep...

ub3r

14 Dec 2004, 7:58 am

Cool! I didn't have the courage to buy an Apple as my first laptop, maybe when mine gets outdated.

I'm running 2.6.7 now, from what I've heard, 2.6.8 is so buggy, perhaps I'll try 2.6.9 or a 2.6.10 RC to see if it helps when I have time.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2017, 2:58 pm

mentalman wrote:
Hello all,

I just wanted to rant a little about the Linux Kernel. I just installed Libranet 2.8.1 a few days ago, and needed to add drivers for my Broadcom 4400 ethernet adapter (Dell Inspiron 5100 built-in card). Well, after 50 attempts to figure out why the drivers from Broadcom wouldn't compile, I did another search and found out that Libranet had already made drivers for me.

All I had to do was download and install them....after making a new Kernel by re-compiling it w/ kernel defaults. Well, Libranet makes it easy with XAdminMenu, but it is *frustrating* how long it takes in order to compile the darn thing!! ! And that's even with a Pentium 4 processor at 2.4 Ghz and 512 MB RAM.

Let me know,

mentalman

What I hate is compiling some of the packages for OpenBSD. Even on a really fast machine, they can take many hours.

Years ago at another company I had a set of programs I wrote that took about an hour to compile and link. I used that to my advantage. Whenever I wanted to take a break, I would just recompile and link everything. I knew that once it started, I had an hour to go to a local 50's style hamburger shop for a cup of coffee and a piece of pie.