Page 10 of 12 [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2013, 11:41 am

JoeDaBro wrote:
KenG wrote:
Because difference (autism) is not a disease.

Hell yes!
KenG wrote:
Because every brain is beautiful.

Umm, if you think that internal organs are beautiful...You probably have more than just disorders like Autism. No, seriously, it's called objectum sexual. I'm not sure if it's a disorder or not.
KenG wrote:
Because we love neurodiversity.

What's that?
KenG wrote:
Because we are not puzzles, we are people.

Hey, I know some people that are autistic puzzles. It's honestly quite sad, because they could be killed just by someone spilling their drink on them or a pet.
KenG wrote:
Because not being able to speak is not the same as having nothing to say.

I can speak.
KenG wrote:
Because nothing about us, without us.

What???
KenG wrote:
Because we celebrate the beauty of the autism spectrum.

It isn't beautiful because it isn't a person.
KenG wrote:
Because we all shine on, like the moon, like the starts, like the sun.
not sure i get your post,what exactley are you implying
Hey, you are clearly insulting start buttons.
KenG wrote:
Because the sky is blue. (OK, maybe this one is not a good reason for protesting Autism Speaks, but all of the above are good enough)

That's kind of a wierd reason.
My reason is that they are anuses.

JoeDaBro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Nov 2013, 1:20 pm

Uh, Vermont, do you have any comments on my post?

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2013, 1:37 pm

what are you trying to say,your responses were sarcastic but never actualy addressed ken g's points

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2013, 1:43 pm

JoeDaBro wrote:
KenG wrote:
Because we are not puzzles, we are people.

Hey, I know some people that are autistic puzzles. It's honestly quite sad, because they could be killed just by someone spilling their drink on them or a pet.
KenG wrote:
Uh, Vermont, do you have any comments on my post?

who would die if a drink or pet were spilled on them

JoeDaBro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Nov 2013, 2:21 pm

A puzzle would. [please donate to the puzzle charity today]

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2013, 3:36 pm

so funny i forgot to laugh :roll:

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 3:52 pm

How do I know when protests are?
I never see any notices or anything...

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 2:55 pm

Asperger96 wrote:
How do I know when protests are?
I never see any notices or anything...

It is not organized... it is an act of self advocacy... protesting by actions and words every second of every day

HDLMatchette
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Mar 2014, 5:37 pm

i disagree with ASdogGeek on the DSM 5. LFA, or as i call "kanner's" is much different from aspergers. most aspies are proud of their aspie label and to call it something else is to take it away from them. people need to stop seeing the difference between aspergers and kanners as a racist term. white and black people are both different but that doesn't mean one is better than the other. plus, kanners people require treatments that are different from those with aspergers. yes we're still us but the DSM doesn't make us feel like it. not that's it's bad being kanners but it's not what aspies are. Speaks is against the changes too but only because they wanna continue their fear rhetoric. it's a power grab. what we aspies need to be is against the DSM 5 because aspergers is who we are, it's not bad to be kanners but it's not who WE are.

HDLMatchette
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Mar 2014, 12:52 pm

autism is too vague. some people need one kind of help, some people need another type of help. all they should've done was kept aspergers and call low functioning autism "kanner's" instead. you people have to realize getting specific help is extremely important, but that doesn't mean that's a bad thing.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 12:10 pm

Einstein is not a tragedy.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

11 Mar 2014, 12:14 pm

And neither was he diagnosed with autism.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 12:31 pm

Doctor Michael Fitzgerald, Professor of Psychiatry at Trinity College, Dublin, diagnosed Einstein with autism.

Is diagnosing a dead person considered to be malpractice ?

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

11 Mar 2014, 12:34 pm

More like impossible.

weeOne
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Mar 2014, 12:52 pm

Besides the pertinent issues presented herein plus the neocapitalist spin they put onto autism that really gets my goat, my main reason to protest Autism Speaks is because they aren't letting autism speak. In fact, the project now has the effect of silencing autistics. We are either marginalized or omitted from their conversation, and we are the biggest stakeholders.

I have nothing against parents of autistics speaking, but that's what it should be called and that's how it should be represented and viewed. How presumptuous! And how rude!

The biggest irony is the idea that autistics who do not or cannot speak are speaking through this group. It's a catchy cute idea, and I'm sure the paid minions hired to come up with the idea looked at the project from a branding perspective. This is equally infuriating and insulting to me, because not only do we not need to be further branded (read: exploited), we are not being accorded the respect due other groups with a history of societal prejudice against them.

To me, the project is just a frustration outlet for rich folks who want to control the discourse. It may not have started out this way, but that's what it's become.

If you want to hear autism speak, visit the blogs and forums and videos where we say what's on our minds. Our voices should outweigh the pap being supported by the 1%-ers who seem to believe that their wealth entitles them to speak for us.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

11 Mar 2014, 6:32 pm

HDLMatchette wrote:
i disagree with ASdogGeek on the DSM 5. LFA, or as i call "kanner's" is much different from aspergers. most aspies are proud of their aspie label and to call it something else is to take it away from them. people need to stop seeing the difference between aspergers and kanners as a racist term. white and black people are both different but that doesn't mean one is better than the other. plus, kanners people require treatments that are different from those with aspergers. yes we're still us but the DSM doesn't make us feel like it. not that's it's bad being kanners but it's not what aspies are. Speaks is against the changes too but only because they wanna continue their fear rhetoric. it's a power grab. what we aspies need to be is against the DSM 5 because aspergers is who we are, it's not bad to be kanners but it's not who WE are.

Kanner's patients fit much more closely with the category of "high functioning." The inclusion of "low functioning" autistic diagnoses was something that happened years later, and my understanding is that many people objected to this necessary inclusion.

So you're already misusing the label "Kanner's autism."

Anyway, one of the reasons for the change in the DSM-5 is the fact that which label you were diagnosed with depended more on where you were diagnosed and sometimes what your needs were perceived to be more than a strict adherence to the criteria for autism disorder, PDD-NOS, or Asperger's Syndrome.