Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

tom_oftheplains
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Feb 2010, 4:15 pm

Hey, all. So, I'm new here. My wife has convinced me that I may have Asperger's.

And, given the self-testing I've done at various spots online, I think she may be right

So, now I'm just kinda drowning in information. Where do I go? Who do I talk to? What doctor in my area can confirm whether or not this is an accurate diagnosis? How do I hold down a job?

So, because I'm new to all of this and the realization is still just kinda dawning on me, any resources, advice, etc., would be most welcome. I'll keep poking around these forums to see what I can find, but what I need most right now is some kind of support. As a possible Aspie, I don't have a lot of friends or places to turn for comfort, advice, etc.

Thanks, folks.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2010, 4:24 pm

I'm so glad you're here. It will take time to process, a lot of time. The articles on this site are useful. And you can ask whatever you want. You might get a useful answer. It has taken me over a decade to finally understand what I am missing and to come to grips with how much of my personal history of bad interactions was not my fault, was not the other person's fault, but was subconscious irritation at each others' different timing and emotional focus.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Feb 2010, 5:30 pm

To WrongPlanet!! !Image

tom_oftheplains
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Feb 2010, 11:51 pm

Thanks, Lelia. I guess my first question is: where do I start? I'm reading articles, learning about how this condition came to be, what the prognosis is for people with this condition, etc., but I feel like I'm just treading water in what seems like a sea of information. Do I have to get diagnosed? See a doctor? Is this something a potential employer needs to know?

I'm just really, really overwhelmed right now, so if you or anyone else has an Aspie's 101 course, that'd be helpful. Literature, internet links, etc., would be great. I have no idea what I'm doing and right now I feel like I'm grasping at a bunch of straws.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2010, 12:01 am

Welcome to WrongPlanet. :)

Scientist
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2010, 4:00 pm

Hello tom_oftheplains, welcome,

tom_oftheplains wrote:
I guess my first question is: where do I start? I'm reading articles, learning about how this condition came to be, what the prognosis is for people with this condition, etc., but I feel like I'm just treading water in what seems like a sea of information. Do I have to get diagnosed? See a doctor? Is this something a potential employer needs to know?

I'm just really, really overwhelmed right now, so if you or anyone else has an Aspie's 101 course, that'd be helpful. Literature, internet links, etc., would be great. I have no idea what I'm doing and right now I feel like I'm grasping at a bunch of straws.

Here's a link to a thread here on the forums about books on Autism and Asperger's:
Wrong Planet - General Autism Discussion - Books

Enjoy your stay on the Wrong Planet!

Interests: science, experimental psychology, psychophysics, music (listening and playing (guitar)) and visual arts

Don't focus on your weaknesses, focus on your strengths