Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2010, 11:03 pm

MrXxx wrote:
Whoa!

Let me take this opportunity to say, I WAS DEAD WRONG!

This debate is ANYTHING BUT MOOT!

Goes to show why I should shut my mouth until I get to the root of discussion by digging up the original source.

Until now, all I have heard about is MERGING AS into Autism, but that isn't all that's happening!

They aren't just merging it folks! They are CHANGING the criterion! No sense going on about it in this thread though.

I will only tell you here that now that I've actually read the proposed changes, I'm dead set against them.

Not quite sure what you mean by that but what I have been told and what I have read they are changing the DX to Autism Spectrum Disorder.

"One key issue is a new single diagnostic category, "autism spectrum disorders," that would incorporate autistic disorder, Asperger's syndrome, childhood disintegrative disorder and pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified."

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 1:01 am

Liloleme, that's a good analogy, but (especially in psychiatry, unless that's just my bias toward my special interest) there are other examples of a disease that's basically another disease only ramped up to eleven. PMDD is just PMS, only more so. Dysthymia is basically mild depression.

Is it sane? No. But there are such cases.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 1:56 am

liloleme wrote:
MrXxx wrote:
Whoa!

Let me take this opportunity to say, I WAS DEAD WRONG!

This debate is ANYTHING BUT MOOT!

Goes to show why I should shut my mouth until I get to the root of discussion by digging up the original source.

Until now, all I have heard about is MERGING AS into Autism, but that isn't all that's happening!

They aren't just merging it folks! They are CHANGING the criterion! No sense going on about it in this thread though.

I will only tell you here that now that I've actually read the proposed changes, I'm dead set against them.

Not quite sure what you mean by that but what I have been told and what I have read they are changing the DX to Autism Spectrum Disorder.

"One key issue is a new single diagnostic category, "autism spectrum disorders," that would incorporate autistic disorder, Asperger's syndrome, childhood disintegrative disorder and pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified."

Well, that was the impression I was under too. And yes, they are doing that, but that is not ALL they are doing. It's NOT just changing it all to one category. They are changing the diagnotic criteria, IMHO, not in a good way for many of us.

See my latest post to this tread, to see the whole picture:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postxf96837-0-30.html

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Blasterx343
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jun 2010, 1:21 am

Aspergers Syndrome should remain seperate, but not because of the literature or the emotive aspects.
The reason Aspergers should remain seperate (while still linked) is that Aspergers syndrome and the ASDs have different developmental paths, the HFA's typically follow the LFA's developmental path up to a point then skyrocket while Aspergians typically have no developmental delays.

Secondly the tiered structure of the Spectrum at present is not accurate, each of the conditions give different outcomes, and for lack of a better word 'symptoms'. This means Aspergers should not be removed as aspies often face problems that no other Autistic person could run into, just as the rest of the Autistic Spectrum has problems that I could never comprehend.

Just so anyone reading this knows I am DIAGNOSED with ASPERGERS SYNDROME, and if it was removed I would most likely be someone who shows enough Autistic traits to have difficulty while not enough to get any help.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 1:11 pm

Well said. I concur totally. Your concerns are the same as mine as I am about to push for a DX for myself and one son not yet DX'd.

I sure am glad I'm not the only one anticipating these possible negative outcomes because of this. I just wish more who seem to be more lackadaisical in their reactions might begin to see it isn't just a simple change of label, but also a redefinition open to very wide interpretations that could result in them losing whatever help they have, or not being able to get it if they don't already have it.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

LuckyBunny
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Nov 2011, 3:42 pm

just my opinion on the matter, shaped by my observations over time....

mild/severe does not apply. The conditions that are currently different disorders on the spectrum are distinguishable from each other by a few criteria, thus making them separate entities. However, they are separate entities that share a common root in how they are expressed by the patient. That common root is what defines all of them as ASD... I think the idea behind this merging is that ASD is pretty much its own condition, and each individual condition is really just a variant of that. My diagnosis was pretty recent (2 years ago), and seems to be more in recognition of the merged form than the single diagnosis, as I was diagnosed with "Autism Spectrum Disorder, specifically Asperger Syndrome".

I agree with that notation, as it identifies Asperger Syndrome as an individual condition that is not a full diagnosis itself, but is a description of the diagnosis (ASD).

I believe that mild/severe is false in all cases of ASD, because not one of the conditions are a single factor. For example, a fever is when a person has a high body temperature, is sweating and shaking. Does that person have a mild fever if they're not shaking, but have a record temperature? Each diagnosis is made based on a number of factors, and the severity of each factor is what qualifies or disqualifies the diagnosis. Therefore, it is near impossible to honestly compare each disorder, when they have all been diagnosed on the same threshold criteria, and the only real difference between them is in which factors are present, as opposed to the severity at which each of the factors were assessed to be.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2011, 3:55 pm

All aspergers is, is a form of autism....all the name aspergers tells you is the last name of who discovered it. So I don't see a huge problem with the DSM getting rid of the term asperger's syndrome considering that just makes it confusing in the first place to some, which is why we have people who claim AS is not a type of autism.

Tambourine-Man
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2011, 4:00 pm

redwulf25_ci wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
They are going to have to republish all those books when the new DSM comes out because no one will know what the heck Asperger's is.

People are going to forget overnight? Who here knows what Manic-depression is?

Nice!

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2011, 4:00 pm

Orwell wrote:
Part of the reason I say this is because not all Asperger's is mild. Some "Aspies" will be labelled as moderate or severe, and yet the current AS literature inaccurately treats all Asperger's as mild. Because of this, some people are not getting the support and understanding they need. The DSM-V seeks to address these issues, and I am hopeful that they are taking a step in the right direction.

The DSM V adresses these issues by muddling up and constricting the issue, not actually dealing with the issue of improper diagnosis and general incompetence in generalization on the behalf of doctors. Nobody should accept change for the sake of change, and it is clear that your argument is based on arguments from authority, a highly unreliable authority, and trying to say that severe aspergers is apsergers whilst not understand the alternative, that it was a misdiagnosis.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2011, 4:03 pm

Tambourine-Man wrote:
redwulf25_ci wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
They are going to have to republish all those books when the new DSM comes out because no one will know what the heck Asperger's is.

People are going to forget overnight? Who here knows what Manic-depression is?

Nice!

Manic depression is the previous name for bipolar disorder. This is also a false allegory because manic depression was never a sub-disorder of a confused junk taxon of several disabilities that only look related on the surface but aren't in practice.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2011, 3:25 am

i think the new system will be better.however it may be pudent to make it a 4 level disorder not a three level disorder

TexanPatriot
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Nov 2011, 12:53 am

tangerine12 wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

i.e

Tony Attwood's guide to mild autism.

OASIS guide to mild Autism.

The Mild Autism support group.

Heather Kuzniack is not Asperger

She is mild autism.

David Jordan will have to change

"asperger's is like social dyslexia" to

"mild autism is like social dyslexia"

Aspies should rename themselves

MILD AUTIES.

And Han Asperger should be renamed Dr. Hans Mild Autism.

:(

I'd love them to see one of my "mild" meltdowns!