Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

MichaelKnight
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Dec 2004, 1:58 am

Hi everyone,

This is the first time I write on these forums, and I need your help if you've ever been in a similar situation.

I just had a email from a teacher saying that I was blatantly disrespectful to him and the group for the semester, but I have not a single idea what he's talking about... I usually don't talk much, which I understand can seem rude to some, but I don't think I ever meant or did anything to cause this. Now he's threatening me to try to get me out of school... I don't like to talk about asperger, and never have with anyone. But should I tell him about asperger or shouldn't I (not that I think he'd care much)? What would you do in my place? :(

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2004, 7:42 am

Michael, I have not encountered the same problem as you have, but I suggest you apologize to the teacher immediately. If the situation is a serious as you say it is, you really should explain yourself. You need to tell that teacher that you did not mean any disrespect, and that you are very sorry for giving that impression. You should also ask him to explain to you what you did wrong. I think telling him about Asperger's, or atleast explaining you have social difficulties would probably be a good idea, because if something like this occurs in the future, he will probably think you are a repeat troublemaker.

Just make sure he understands that you're going to make every effort to avoid doing this again, and that you are really sorry that this happened in the first place.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2004, 8:00 am

grand advice, civet - i agree with it all. and, speaking as a teacher, it would be useful to know that you have AS, michael, although i know what i'm doing as far as AS is concerned. one further bit of advice - if you don't get on particularly well with that teacher, speak to a member of staff you DO get on well with/trust, and ask if THEY could speak to the teacher concerned. does that make sense?

ASMAN
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Dec 2004, 8:38 am

I would probably follow civet's advice. But I would ask about to which events he is referring to so you can learn form it.

Now remember NTs are like those people from the victorian age with dozens of silly and unnecessary rules with the victorian age indignity if you happen to break one or two.

Rest easy, knowing that one day, your professor will be seen a bigot for not making you feel at home and not making allowances for the differences between our 2 different ways of being human, when we achieve minority status.

MichaelKnight
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Dec 2004, 9:03 am

Thanks everyone for the advices!

I wrote back apologizing and also asked to meet him sometime to be explained what exactly was the main cause of the problem and it seems things will be ok for now. 8)

Thanks again for the advices, I just panicked for a bit when I received the message (the thing is that up to now I tought I was getting along pretty well with the teacher... well I guess we learn).