Page 10 of 14 [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 3:24 am

^^^^can you tell me what about the gold one up north you mentioned, that you thought was better?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 3:32 am

the differences were mostly minor, really. i cant find the ad anymore but i preferred the colors and it had fewer miles. the seller also mentioned that the timing belt was changed, which wasn't the case with my car. (i had it done before driving it home)

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 4:07 am

i'm glad to hear the news that timing belts are an issue with these autos. or is it the same with any highway-miles car?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 4:14 am

just a regular maintenance item to be done every 80,000 miles or so, same as any other car (unless it has a chain of course)

these later engines are interference, so if the belt snaps you can bend valves and damage pistons which can ruin the engine. belt replacement in general is costly so many people end up putting it off.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 4:24 am

belts vs. chains, I guess the belts are quieter/lighter. but the chains are more reliable. if I stick with an old OHV caddy I can rest assured there will not be that particular issue to worry about.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 10:51 pm

^ :wtg:

what do you think of the later 90s devilles and fleetwoods with the more contemporary, rounded styling? i saw a mint, burgundy 90s deville with the vinyl roof earlier today while shopping and it looked unlike anything else in the parking lot.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 10:53 pm

Northstar engines are a pile of s**t, kinda fun though with that FWD V8. We had one for target practice when I was younger, about all it was good for.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 10:57 pm

was always curious about that fwd v8 layout, wouldn't it give you boatloads of torque steer or nose-heaviness?

these days you only see v6 or 4 bangers in fwd cars.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 11:00 pm

my fave caddies are the boxy ones made from '86-88. they were compact but had optional hydraulic dampers so they rode just like their big brothers and were styled so that they had just as much leg, head and shoulder room as the big ones, as well. they weren't especially hot-roddy but I've never been about that. gotta have that magic-carpet floating ride over the bumps, that splendid land-yacht isolation from the road.

Last edited by auntblabby on 15 Feb 2018, 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 11:00 pm

My parents had a SS Impala as beater in high school with the 5.3L. They are cheap for a reason, torque steer is bad and they don’t handle well. Plus they eat transmissions for breakfast.

But if you get the chance to drive one, do it and mash the petal for a laugh... Just hold in tight.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 11:04 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:

what do you think of the later 90s devilles and fleetwoods with the more contemporary, rounded styling? i saw a mint, burgundy 90s deville with the vinyl roof earlier today while shopping and it looked unlike anything else in the parking lot.

they remind me of the jellybean-styled chevy caprice from that time, as well as the buick roadmaster. i'd like to test-drive one of those at least, to see how well they swallow road bumps. they are pretty :flower:

b9
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 11:20 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:

no doubt because if it's squared off rear wheel arch. it looks nice.
the car would look like any other car really but for the rear wheel arch style.
it was very disappointing that cadillacs were subject to extreme epa restrictions in the 1980's and 1990's.
here is a 1989 brougham from 0-60 mph. shocking. note the speedo only goes up to 85 mph which was around it's top speed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tU_b-LVliM
not for me thanks.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 11:30 pm

I liked the 85 mph speedos as the numbers were large and easy to read, I thought the ones that go up to 160 or higher were ridiculous as almost nobody could drive one that fast. totally impractical IMHO. also, without an active suspension, it is very hard to make a car ride smoothly/absorbingly over rough substandard American roads at lower speeds, and also safely stable at high speeds on the all-too-rare [here in America] good roads. gotta choose one or the other.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 11:54 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I liked the 85 mph speedos as the numbers were large and easy to read, I thought the ones that go up to 160 or higher were ridiculous as almost nobody could drive one that fast. totally impractical IMHO. also, without an active suspension, it is very hard to make a car ride smoothly/absorbingly over rough substandard American roads at lower speeds, and also safely stable at high speeds on the all-too-rare [here in America] good roads. gotta choose one or the other.

well there is a 90 mile straight road on the nullabor plain in australia, and many other straight roads almost that long.

to be stifled by a less than 85 mph top speed would be intolerable traveling from Sydney to Perth, or from Adelaide to Darwin.

anyway, my favorite styles of australian designed cars as as follows (maybe there is some similarity to some american cars that some will see)
we never made extremely big cars in australia, but they were powerful and smooth and could cruise at very high speeds (relatively for the time (for example 110 mph)) in comfort. they could go quite a bit faster, but 110 mph was achievable with the cruise controller on and no sound from the engine.
here is the biggest car we ever made. the 1980 statesman. they came in either a 350 cid, or a 383 cid engine. they were GMH (general motors-holden). beautiful styling and stance.

here is the biggest ford we ever made was the 1977 LTD, and it had either a 351 cid or a 390 cid engine.

and here is a 1974 australian LTD which was also equipped with either a 351 or a 390.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 11:56 pm

auntblabby wrote:

well there is a 90 mile straight road on the nullabor plain in australia, and many other straight roads almost that long.

to be stifled by a less than 85 mph top speed would be intolerable traveling from Sydney to Perth, or from Adelaide to Darwin.

anyway, my favorite styles of australian designed cars as as follows (maybe there is some similarity to some american cars that some will see)
we never made extremely big cars in australia, but they were powerful and smooth and could cruise at very high speeds (relatively for the time (for example 110 mph)) in comfort. they could go quite a bit faster, but 110 mph was achievable with the cruise controller on and no sound from the engine.
here is the biggest car we ever made. the 1980 statesman. they came in either a 350 cid, or a 383 cid engine. they were GMH (general motors-holden). beautiful styling and stance.

here is the biggest ford we ever made was the 1977 LTD, and it had either a 351 cid or a 390 cid engine.

and here is a 1974 australian LTD which was also equipped with either a 351 or a 390.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 12:20 am

stately cars. I suppose the roads down under are probably maintained better than up here, so I wonder if cars down there are tuned stiffer, or just as soft as typical American car suspension tuning?