Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

tokeee_smokeee
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Feb 2010, 1:09 pm

What are the benefits availible to usa citizens with asperbergers, autism, anxiety, depression or social anxiety?

Is it SSI the biggest one at like $600 a month?

Do they try to avoid giving any kind of benefits too people with only mental disabilities?

Is a lawyer essentially required?

Can you live in another country and still collect the usa disability check if you are a citizen?

Is it true you can only have like 2000 in net total assets?

Illite
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Feb 2010, 1:51 pm

tokeee_smokeee wrote:
What are the benefits availible to usa citizens with asperbergers, autism, anxiety, depression or social anxiety?

$430 a month for me. Could barely pay a house payment with it, but its kept me afloat during the worst times. Also dont be afraid to ask about SNAP (food stamps). Here in SC if your on SSI with no income you can get SNAP benefits automatically and possibly even more if enrolled at the DSS office.

Also Medicare A & B. Coarse medicare isnt anything to wet yourself over, but it does help with the occassioal Dr or test.

Quote:
Do they try to avoid giving any kind of benefits too people with only mental disabilities?

I think they try to avoid giving benefits to anyone whatsoever.

Quote:

Well... you could always try without a lawyer. Good luck with that though. I think its a good idea to go ahead and get turned down atleast once before finding a lawyer.

Quote:
Can you live in another country and still collect the usa disability check if you are a citizen?

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10137.html

Quote:

I remember reading something like that. I think thats savings and etc, although I know for fact that SS has no idea whats in your savings unless you tell them. I think your allowed a car and such crap, but hell, its unlikely theyre paying attention.

Lets face it, I get SSI, but Im not compent to handle my own money in their eyes despite the fact that I have 2 credit cards, and multiple savings accounts, and an almost perfect credit score, yet my sister who has god awful credit is perfectly ok to represent me as my payee... be prepared to face some major idiots when you deal with SSI.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2010, 2:11 pm

tokeee_smokeee wrote:

As an adult, you'd have to prove that you are so disabled you are pretty much unable to do any kind of work. Read the info online here: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10029.html

I have heard - although I have not applied as I do not qualify - that a lawyer is a good resource. Especially if you've got an executive function impairment. I've also been told that you should expect your first claim to be denied, and that you may have better luck when you appeal it. You would most likely be eligible for Medicare after you've been on SS for two years (good luck getting medical care before then!)

If you have few resources, you should be able to apply for SSDI - a cash supplement for the extremely low-income who are receiving SS.

Good luck.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2010, 2:49 pm

well, I also believe some aspects of it depend upon the state you live in. I was getting the checks back when I turned 15-16. They ended when I got a job, and I finally just got around to applying again, all they need to do now is check medical references, but from my own experiences, PA, the state I am in, tends to be quick with processing it all, and is fairly lenient with certain things like how much you can have in the bank and stuff.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

tokeee_smokeee
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Feb 2010, 3:02 pm

Anyone know California's policies?

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2010, 3:04 pm

tokeee_smokeee wrote:
Anyone know California's policies?

Social Security is a federal benefit. The individual states do not control it.
They do control Medicaid (MediCal, in California). They do not control Medicare (not the same thing as Medicaid).
Please do yourself a favor and read the Social Security regulations online. If you don't understand them, you really should be having a conversation with a lawyer.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2010, 5:26 pm

tokeee_smokeee wrote:

Same as anyone with a certifiable disability: SSDI, HUD, SNAP (food stamps),etc.

tokeee_smokeee wrote:

No, the amount varies, depending on your circumstances. If you're married, with a spouse who works, you may not get as much as someone single, if you have kids, you may get a bit more. If you have worked in the past, your mon thly benefit will be based at least partly on an average of the type of salaries you drew when you were working. In any case, if its enough to live on by yourself, it will be BARELY enough. They'll keep you alive, but they won't guarantee your comfort.

tokeee_smokeee wrote:

Not if your disability prevents you from working. I will tell you your chances of being approved are better once you pass an age at which employers are less likely to hire you because they don't want old farts on their medical insurance.

tokeee_smokeee wrote:

The govt doesn't require it, but its a helluva lot easier than wading through all the regulations and paperwork on your own. Get a lawyer who knows the rules and whats required and you'll deal with a lot less frustration and have a better chance of getting approved (the lawyer will take a cut out of the initial settlement, but its worth it to avoid the headaches). Of course it will also help if you have a mental health professional who knows you and can vouch for the fact that your disorder is contributing to your difficulties finding or maintaining gainful employment.

tokeee_smokeee wrote:

I have no knowledge of that, but I'm guessing that's probably a big fat negatory.

tokeee_smokeee wrote:

That is true. Uncle Sam figures if you've got more than 2 grand in liquid assets, you don't need your measly SSDI check for that month, or any other month, until you use that resource fund up. As I said, they're there to keep you alive, not help you get ahead.

I don't know if your moniker is meant to imply anything, but just FYI - since George W was in office, there's a proviso that if you ever get popped for any drug offense whatsoever, even a misdemeanor MJ bust - you lose access to Social Security and Disability Benefits FOR LIFE.

Quote:
You would most likely be eligible for Medicare after you've been on SS for two years

Thats what I was told initially, but they signed me up to Medicare A & B after six months without even asking me. Medicare A is free, but they take $110 a month out of your check for Medicare B, unless you decline it - then if you decide you need it later, like when you're actually old and NEED Medical insurance - they charge you an extra 10% per year for every year you didn't take it. If you don't pay for the govt's health care NOW, when you Do need it, they'll bend you over and...

Plus, if any form of Obamacare goes through, you will end up losing even more of your monthly benefit amount to that, and you won't be allowed to opt out of it by law. The US govt wants so badly to help people who can't afford medical insurance, that they're going to FORCE them to buy it anyway - apparently so when you become ill from malnutrition because you can no longer afford food, at least you can go to the hospital. Gee, thanks. What would we ever do without politicians to make decisions for us?

tokeee_smokeee
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Feb 2010, 6:52 pm

Is there any disadvantage to receiving disability?

Do you have to tell your employer you have received it before?

Are you required to write it on visa or citizenship applications?

Illite
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Feb 2010, 11:14 pm

tokeee_smokeee wrote:

I suppose the disadvantage to receiving disability is to your pride. It does kinda suck to tell people that they are paying for you. Easy solution is to just not mention it. The advantage of it being money > pride.

No need to tell your employer. Chances are they would never ask and no need to brag about it to them. In fact if your filling out applications, the sections on "tax credits" is entirely optional. I didnt fill out that part on the last two applications I actually got call backs for so Im looking more torwards not filling them out from now on.

I really doubt a visa or citizenship application would even ask about a disability....

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2010, 11:47 pm

tokeee_smokeee wrote:

Tokeee -

The only absolute advantage to receiving disability is the money. If you don't need it, don't take it away from someone who does. If you need it, take it. That's what it's there for. In some places it may move you to the head of waiting lists for supported housing or programs, but those do vary from location to location.

Employers are prohibited by law in the US from asking about disabilities. They are allowed to ask if you can perform the essential functions of a job with reasonable accommodation. If you can't answer "yes" you should not be looking at that job as you are not qualified to do it. Hence, if you answer "no" you will not get the job

I'm sorry, visa or citizenship applications for what country or countries?

If you are going to live in another country, by the way, the answer to the question of your drawing USA benefits there is: it depends on which country. If you will read the SS links a few of us have posted, you'll come to the section that deals with which countries have agreements/which you can live in and draw US benefits and to which countries they will not send benefits.

Hope this helps.

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 2:44 am

I think two grand is just your liquid assets, your money. I know some people who are bipolar or blind and get disability and they have cars and trailers/houses. Surely those add up to over two thousand dollars.

That thing about still being able to get SSI even outside the US probably explains why so many retirees move to cheap, tropical places. If you can still get money, then why not?

Also, I know that the people I know who get money from the government sometimes get it from two places. One is social security and one is something else. Just plain welfare? I think they might get something directly from the state and I'm sure that wouldn't continue if they decided to go live in Mexico.

You don't have to tell your employer that you're getting it, but they may have to fill out paperwork for the social security office to report that you're working. I'm not sure if it depends on the job or not.

pippilngstkngpr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Feb 2010, 4:00 am

It is true you can only have 2000 or they don't give you any more. It's not cool at all but I learned if you get a special needs trust fund who ever gives you money or someone dies and gives you money goes there even if over 2,000 dollars and you could use it for a car a house or if oyu wanted to go on vacation or whatever. thats what i learned.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2010, 5:44 am

it must be hard to live in the USA if you are unemoployed.

in australia, the disability pension is about $671 per fortnight ($1342 per month).
my girlfriend gets this because she is autistic to a degree that is mildly more severe than me. she is not ret*d, but she has a hard time relating to people and no skills.

all she needed was to be assessed by a doctor, and they easily give a certificate of disability.

our dollar is $0.89 US so $1342 AUD = $1194 USD.
our price of living is cheaper it seems as well.

people usually use the price of a loaf of bread as a standard for comparison of cost of living.
i looked up the price of a loaf of standard sliced bread in the US and it seems it is about $2.30, where as in australia it is $2.00 ($1.90 US).

it must be hard to live in the US without a decent income.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2010, 4:20 pm

b9 wrote:
it must be hard to live in the USA if you are unemoployed.

in australia, the disability pension is about $671 per fortnight ($1342 per month).
my girlfriend gets this because she is autistic to a degree that is mildly more severe than me. she is not ret*d, but she has a hard time relating to people and no skills.

all she needed was to be assessed by a doctor, and they easily give a certificate of disability.

our dollar is $0.89 US so $1342 AUD = $1194 USD.
our price of living is cheaper it seems as well.

people usually use the price of a loaf of bread as a standard for comparison of cost of living.
i looked up the price of a loaf of standard sliced bread in the US and it seems it is about $2.30, where as in australia it is $2.00 ($1.90 US).

it must be hard to live in the US without a decent income.

It is. It, to use a colloquial term, sucks.

And the price of bread varies from place to place. A loaf of bread in my neighborhood store is just under $4 (US) a loaf. Housing is higher in some places as well - here a one-room efficiency apartment goes for about $800 a month at the cheapest. You pretty much have to pay that out of any income you have, as there are 30,000 names on the government section 8 housing assistance waiting list here. The irony is, that after waiting all that time, once you get your certificate, you find that almost nobody will rent to you because they can make so much more on the open market.

Fortunately, I'm not in that situation, although when my daughter was young we lived on the $500 a month the government paid as family aid (welfare) for a couple of years until I could get back into school. My rent (not including bills) was $350 a month - this was like 25 years ago. Diapers cost $14 a week. I had to take out loans to pay for daycare, as the waiting list for government daycare was about 8 years at that time. We got $80 total in foodstamps per month - until i took out money to pay for daycare. The government said that was a frivolous expense, and if I had that kind of money I should buy my own food. So they cut off the foodstamps, meaning I had to take out bigger loans. I'll be paying them back until I die.

I wouldn't go back and do it over again for a million bucks, and I certainly do not begrudge anyone who is on either welfare, disability, or getting foodstamps their benefits. A lot of people do, unfortunately.

tokeee_smokeee
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2010, 4:26 pm

You really have to take those "comparison" lists with a grain of salt. There are places in the States that are wildly more expensive than others, just as I'm sure is the case everywhere.