Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

tangerine12
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Feb 2010, 2:14 am

One reason to save Asperger as a SUBTYPE of severity scale of ASD (i.e Asperger vs mild)

is the history (i.e rooted in NAZI EUGENICS) and person of Hans Asperger

"We are convinced, then, that autistic people have their place in the organism of the social community. They fulfil their role well, perhaps better than anyone else could, and we are talking of people who as children had the greatest difficulties and caused untold worries to their care-givers.[3]" Hans Asperger

Being told of AS I could read the early history of AS, and Hans Asperger.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2010, 3:08 am

You should read his paper. It's not as positive overall as the specific quotes you find people posting.

Apart from his negative and the small amount of positive comments, you'll find he actually describes some people who're more severe than Kanner's group.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2010, 6:56 am

Clinical diagnoses exist for clinical reasons rather than to facilitate historical education.

Wedge
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2010, 7:39 am

The name Asper Syndrome was given to the formal diagnostic category of mild autism in the ICD-10 and the DSM-IV to honor Dr. Hans Asperger.

tangerine12
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Feb 2010, 3:41 pm

pandd wrote:
Clinical diagnoses exist for clinical reasons rather than to facilitate historical education.

Asperger as a clinical diagnosis has existed for clinical reasons in DSM since 94, and by Lorna Wing since 70's

tangerine12
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Feb 2010, 3:41 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
You should read his paper. It's not as positive overall as the specific quotes you find people posting.

Apart from his negative and the small amount of positive comments, you'll find he actually describes some people who're more severe than Kanner's group.

His other writings has been supportive and he even tried to establish a school

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2010, 5:26 pm

tangerine12 wrote:
pandd wrote:

Asperger as a clinical diagnosis has existed for clinical reasons in DSM since 94, and by Lorna Wing since 70's

I am aware of these facts. I am also aware of a thing called "progress". That designation was based on the information available then. More information is available now.

tangerine12
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Feb 2010, 6:59 pm

pandd wrote:
tangerine12 wrote:
pandd wrote:

I am aware of these facts. I am also aware of a thing called "progress". That designation was based on the information available then. More information is available now.

Information that makes Asperger a valid subtype of asd --- what information do you have that "mild" is a valid subtype of ASD?

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 8:36 am

tangerine12 wrote:
pandd wrote:
tangerine12 wrote:
pandd wrote:

Information that makes Asperger a valid subtype of asd ---

Whether it is a valid subtype or not, it is not a clinically valid subtype.
Quote:
what information do you have that "mild" is a valid subtype of ASD?

No one is suggesting that "mild" will become a sub-type, but rather a severity measure.

tangerine12
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Feb 2010, 2:07 pm

pandd wrote:
tangerine12 wrote:
pandd wrote:
tangerine12 wrote:
pandd wrote:

Information that makes Asperger a valid subtype of asd ---

Whether it is a valid subtype or not, it is not a clinically valid subtype.
Quote:
what information do you have that "mild" is a valid subtype of ASD?

No one is suggesting that "mild" will become a sub-type, but rather a severity measure.

What are the specific characteristics of the severity measure of "mild"

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 2:54 pm

They have not been finalized.

ursaminor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 3:18 pm

tangerine12 wrote:
His other writings has been supportive and he even tried to establish a school
And succeeded.
It was, however, bombed;
Quote:
Near the end of World War II, Asperger opened a school for children with autistic psychopathy, with Sister Victorine. The school was bombed towards the end of the war

I wonder what type of bomber was used.

tangerine12
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Feb 2010, 3:29 pm

pandd wrote:
They have not been finalized.

Asperger is currently used as a "severity" rating, see Heather Kuzmich & co. Heather says "it's like a mild form of autism" to a lay audience of models.
Tyra Banks explains it that way. "mild" autism and "high functioning" autism understates the challenges we face to a lay audience.

If "mild" overlaps with Asperger, there's no reason to discontinue Asperger as a severity rating.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 3:54 pm

tangerine12 wrote:
Asperger is currently used as a "severity" rating,

Doing so is not consistent with the current iteration of the DSM, so anyone who uses Aspergers Syndrome to denote severity ought not be effected by changes to the DSM since they are not adhering to it anyway.

Quote:
see Heather Kuzmich & co. Heather says "it's like a mild form of autism" to a lay audience of models.

Oh well then, if someone competing on a reality show to be a model, in an attempt to simplify and dumb things down for others competing on a reality show to be models, says it, then how can it not be a comprehensive, utterly accurate, unquestionable truth?

Quote:
Tyra Banks explains it that way. "mild" autism and "high functioning" autism understates the challenges we face to a lay audience.

If "mild" overlaps with Asperger, there's no reason to discontinue Asperger as a severity rating.

I have a designation of Aspergers Syndrome, this is correct because there is no evidence of qualitative spoken language delay nor any evidence of delay in developing self-help skills in very early development. On the CARS rating (a rating scale that tests specifically for severity of Autistic traits and symptoms) I measure in the "severe" range.

Aspergers Syndrome does not mean mild, it means nearly exactly like Autistic Disorder but without early developmental delay in the aquisition of spoken language and self-help skills. There is no evidence that such traits distinguish anything clinically meaningful whatsoever.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 9:11 pm

I think that he would be a good reason.

tangerine12
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Feb 2010, 11:16 pm

pandd wrote:
tangerine12 wrote:
Asperger is currently used as a "severity" rating,

Doing so is not consistent with the current iteration of the DSM, so anyone who uses Aspergers Syndrome to denote severity ought not be effected by changes to the DSM since they are not adhering to it anyway.

Quote:
see Heather Kuzmich & co. Heather says "it's like a mild form of autism" to a lay audience of models.

Oh well then, if someone competing on a reality show to be a model, in an attempt to simplify and dumb things down for others competing on a reality show to be models, says it, then how can it not be a comprehensive, utterly accurate, unquestionable truth?

Quote:

I have a designation of Aspergers Syndrome, this is correct because there is no evidence of qualitative spoken language delay nor any evidence of delay in developing self-help skills in very early development. On the CARS rating (a rating scale that tests specifically for severity of Autistic traits and symptoms) I measure in the "severe" range.

Aspergers Syndrome does not mean mild, it means nearly exactly like Autistic Disorder but without early developmental delay in the aquisition of spoken language and self-help skills. There is no evidence that such traits distinguish anything clinically meaningful whatsoever.

Where did you get the "There is no evidence that such traits distinguish anything clinically meaningful whatsoever" from? Big Pharma? Autism Speaks?
Many "autistic" children with developmental delay get intensive interventions, more so than those without developmental delay.

With adults, Asperger's is used as a severity scale is already in wide practice, in addition to Heather's explanation see below,

Hormone oxytocin may help Asperger's patients

A study links the hormone, which promotes mother-infant bonding and cooperation, to smoother social learning skills in people with the autism spectrum disorder.
February 15, 2010|By Melissa Healy

People with Asperger's syndrome, a mild form of autism,