Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Have you ever started a thread that 'went down in flames'?
Yes 88%  88%  [ 14 ]
No 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 16

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 1:10 pm

I've started many threads that have gone down in flames.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 2:14 pm

Lecks wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMj1Lu2FJv0[/youtube]

Thank you so much Lecks.

This is certainly my song, and perhaps your song too.

Great post :!:

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 3:01 pm

Blindspot149 wrote:
If you've ever started a thread that got little or no response, this thread's for you.

I'm also running this as an experiment to see how long this thread takes to drop down to page 2 and thence............outer space.....in flames :wink:

To enable people to have a say WITHOUT stopping this thread from going down in flames I've included a simple poll.

Just re read my original post and wondering how on earth someone reading this could POSSIBLY misunderstand the purpose of the post :?:

Answers on a post card :arrow:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 3:08 pm

It was your thread title that was misleading. Even auntblabby misunderstood it too when he saw it.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 3:12 pm

League_Girl wrote:
It was your thread title that was misleading. Even auntblabby misunderstood it too when he saw it.

Thanks for explaining the compelling case against my thread title :?

Since WHEN did YOU need to EVER enlisit the opinion of ANYONE else on the planet to make your procumations :?:

Have you considered running for the Presidency :?:

Such clarity :wink:

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 3:21 pm

I've never had a thread go down in flames because another WP member was so eaten up with regret at NOT thinking up MY thread title first.

This is such fun...........

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 3:27 pm

Blindspot149 - I don't believe that your title is exactly "misleading" but it is rather unclear and ambiguous.

In my opinion, the two most common usages of "flames" are:

1. Literally as in burning fire
2. Being harassed and insulted on the internet

If you had said anything about "threads" going down in flames I would assume the latter. Without any mention of internet it is semi-reasonable to take it literally as in meaning 1.

However, after reading the original post I now find that you meant it as a third meaning entirely. What you meant seems to be a kind of bastardized usage of:
3. "Going down in flames" - being completely destroyed, generally in a sudden and spectacular manner

In this case "going down in flames" is equated to a thread that was an utter failure. Which is not exactly inaccurate, but is not the first thing that comes to mind imo.

Does that help to clarify at all?

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 3:34 pm

Clarice...

Last edited by Blindspot149 on 05 Mar 2010, 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 3:35 pm

Blindspot149 wrote:
Blindspot149 wrote:
If you've ever started a thread that got little or no response, this thread's for you.

I'm also running this as an experiment to see how long this thread takes to drop down to page 2 and thence............outer space.....in flames :wink:

To enable people to have a say WITHOUT stopping this thread from going down in flames I've included a simple poll.

Just re read my original post and wondering how on earth someone reading this could POSSIBLY misunderstand the purpose of the post :?:

I had understood this to be you actually asking for an answer. My apologies if it was unwarranted.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 3:42 pm

mitharatowen wrote:
Blindspot149 wrote:
Blindspot149 wrote:

I had understood this to be you actually asking for an answer. My apologies if it was unwarranted.

Apologies.

I can see how this might be confusing to a native English speaker NOT born or living outside the US

Last edited by Blindspot149 on 05 Mar 2010, 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 3:48 pm

Agent Starling.....

Last edited by Blindspot149 on 05 Mar 2010, 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 4:04 pm

It's tough when that happens

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 10:00 pm

maybe it would have been better if it was called "threads fraying into the dusty nothingness of the memory hole" or
"threads evaporating into page 2 irrelevance" or something like that. just some brain f*rts on my parts

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2010, 4:31 am

That'll be $2, please. :P

Those who know, don't speak.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 3:18 am

This has been a rather unusual thread.

Intended as a meeting place for those whose threads had failed to arouse sufficient interest to last more than a night (or a few hours), it was the target of a personal attack (ironically, another example of a thread going down in flames :lol: )

There seems to be plenty of angry or simply unpleasant exchanges on some of the forums, from time to time.

These are generally discussed IN the 'flaming threads'

That's one of the reasons I started the 'Got anything positive to say' thread

There didnt seem to be many places for people to say something deliberately nice.

I thought the 'going down in flames' thread would be a natural meeting place for those whose threads had not found interest with WP members.

I treat my threads that do 'go down in flames' as a learning experience and also mildly amusing in that I didn't 'get their attention'.

It is actually pure democracy in action and I love it :D

Some whose threads have gone down in flames may actually have been upset at receiving no (reply) acknowledgement after a very considered thread opening post.

All of the above remains in the spirit of this thread.

It will be interesting to see how much further this thread will stretch from its original intended purpose.............as set out in the first post of this thread.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2010, 6:54 am

This thread was started just a few hours before the other thread of a similar name, seen just below this one in the forum list (as I type), was started.

Anyone who bothered to read the first post on this thread would probably have understood that this was about threads that draw little or no interest and quickly fall into oblivion.

Flaming is quite a popular term on WP forums for unpleasant reponses.

It was somewhat ironic that this thread was prevented from 'going down in flames', (for a few days anyway), due to 'flaming'.

Enjoy both threads as they are reunited again :D