Toucan
Toucan

04 Mar 2010, 11:34 pm

I think the best rapper hands down has to be Run-DMC and Salt and Pepa and Yoyo

Vince
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2010, 1:51 am

Impossible to say. There are so many different styles, and there are so many different MC's saying so many different things in so many different ways, and nobody is good at everything. Some rappers are really good at complex rhyming and playing with words, some at rapping quickly and playing with rhythm, some at being hilarious, some at saying clever things or making good points, some at conveying emotion, some at sounding smooth, some at sounding energetic, some at creating an entirely unique style, some at writing a lot of raps fast, some at spending a long time making their raps as good as possible, some at reinventing themselves, some at improvising, some at several things, but none at everything. That's the fun of rap. Or art in general. There will never be a rapper who can do everything perfectly. In imperfection lies beauty.

dtoxic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Mar 2010, 10:00 pm

I'm with Vince. But at the same time the OP is probably just looking for opinions/favorites. It's even tougher when you consider rappers from different eras who might be done, or have declined in quality, or did their thing back then and not so much today even though they're still alive.
My short answer though, since Biggie is dead, is Jay-Z. I don't even have much of his stuff, but on the basis of Reasonable Doubt alone I have to rank him near the top. I think it's the combination of intelligent, clever rhyming, good beats, and straight thuggery that do it for me. (Dumb thugs are obnoxious; I like the smarter ones though.)

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2010, 2:35 am

nana rap

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2010, 8:12 pm

Eminem

weeksend
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Apr 2010, 9:08 am

Devin the Dude. Rap with relavent topics = great.

Ackman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2010, 3:01 pm

Melle Mel