Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

KalisAvos
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Mar 2010, 9:57 pm

Uh, yeah. I'm new.

And so follows the events that lead to my first impression of the site (most likely tl;dr):

Well, I see this website here and try to join. Thinking this would be an interesting place to join, I go to register. As I'm trying to navigate the pages, I immediately realize how slow the site is. Once I fill out the new user form and hit 'submit,' I notice in the message after it that there's a typing error. I can't remember exactly what it was, but it went something like ''In a short while, you will recieve a activation code.'' Being the grammar Nazi that I am, it bothers me somewhat. After I click on the activation link and it registers, I try to type in my username and password into the login area, but to no avail. The password, for some reason, doesn't work, even after I copy-paste it from the email. This vexes me a little more, as I click on the 'lost password' link, all while I'm navigating the slow pages. Once I get my new password, I try to get logged in, but the server overloads and gives me a charming message saying, "We're sorry, but the server currently cannot manage all the users on the site. Please wait 2-3 minutes while the server refreshes. In the meantime, watch this random Youtube clip to pass the time. :) " No, this is most likely not verbatim of what was really said. After finally logging in and changing the profile settings to suit me, I click on the forum index, and see that there are 7873 topics in the 'getting to know each other' forum (and my reaction ( 8O ) gets a weird look from my five year old brother sitting beside me). Annoyed even more, I continue on and write this ridiculously long and unnecessary paragraph about everything that happened on the way into this site (When you talk to me, keep an odd sense of humor to keep up with my horrible sarcasm and ironic comments).

And so follows my first impression: This site really needs to work out some bugs. :P

Now that my ranting is out of the way, ...
... I have no idea what to say. Just ask me a question, any question, and I will truthfully (and naiively) answer it.

Athenacapella
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Mar 2010, 10:04 pm

I'm new, too, and since I work as a proofreader these types of things can be very upsetting to me, too.

But try to be patient -- I am so personally thankful that this place is here. And I can't imagine how much work/money/time it takes to keep a place like this running. It's like finding a place to fit in for the first time EVER.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 10:41 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 10:52 pm

The site can be slow at times but you just have to get on at the right times. it's normally a relatively moderate speed.
have you seen alex's(he runs the site) documentary? it's called autism reality. good stuffs.
i hope your enjoyment of the site increases muy mucho.

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 10:53 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet. :)

musicislife
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 11:06 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!! :D

I had some of the same problems when I registered, but for logging on and having the site run fast, log on at some random time: the faster the site runs, the fewer people are on. It might take a while, but you'll be able to find a time that WP runs pretty fast. :)

Good luck on this crazy Planet!

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 11:40 pm

Welcome aboard the Wrong Planet, KalisAvos.

Scientist
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 4:55 am

Hello KalisAvos, welcome, enjoy your stay on the Wrong Planet!

Interests: science, experimental psychology, psychophysics, music (listening and playing (guitar)) and visual arts

Don't focus on your weaknesses, focus on your strengths

sinsyokka
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 6:29 am

hello KalisAvos, welcome to the community :)

i woz having these problems wen i joined... im guess this place is gettin way too popular.
enjoy ur stay here.

mayokka

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Mar 2010, 7:01 am

To WrongPlanet!! !Image

GabberKooij
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Mar 2010, 2:26 pm

KalisAvos wrote:
When you talk to me, keep an odd sense of humor to keep up with my horrible sarcasm and ironic comments.

Welcome, and im looking forward, but please bear with my English. It's not native :wink:

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 6:54 pm

Welcome to WP - yes, sometimes it's slow, but it's a timing thing. I usually just hit refresh and it works right away or, if I get the 2-3 minute msg I might just open another tab or something. The benefit I've received outweighs the minor inconveniences I've encountered. Enjoy!

Brennan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Mar 2010, 6:58 pm

Welcome to WP!

I work in IT so issues like you have experienced don't really phase me, but I can understand how people not in the industry would find them really irritating. Glad you stuck with it and made it onto here. :)

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 8:17 pm

Welcome to WP. I think the problems you are having may not be related to the forum itself but maybe your connection or even the server. Nothing is perfect all the time. I get a little annoyed working wirelessly because the signal is not always the best, but I open up a game of solitaire (Ubuntu has like 100 different ones, I think) and wait for stuff to work again.

KalisAvos
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Mar 2010, 6:13 pm

Wow, I didn't expect so many people to welcome me one day! Thanks, I guess. :)

I was kind of hoping someone would ask me a question, since I don't do well on introductions at all. Oh, well. ^_^

Wisguy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2010, 12:48 am

You did well, welcome abroad!

Mike