Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

TheHaywire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 9:22 am

If you're in this situation don't you have to start your own company and become successful with it? What if your behavior is so difficult and your motor coordination is so bad that you can't get a job at a gas station? You have to be a company leader or live in crappy conditions.

I think that all people with AS should be taught entrepreneurship.

Thoughts?

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 9:49 am

I think it's ideal except for the critical point that being self employed or a working artist requires having to constantly sell yourself and to deal with rejection after rejection. It also requires executive functioning skills many don't have. At least I don't.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 11:38 am

If you are qualified to work in a gas station, that is what you should do.

As for the myth that it takes social skills to be in business, less is more, when you focus on what sets you apart from the market.

If you are fifty and looking for a tax shelter, most business advice applies.

If you are any age and just looking at what might happen in the next frame of this comic strip, position yourself and make some minor bets.

Everything changes every few years, and that stuff will be old in a few years.

If you do what you enjoy it shows.

I looked at your website, you have a lot to work with.

Tough girls are going to make more money than Gangsta Rap.

The main part of business, have a product. There are a lot of people who can deal with the marketing, very few the creative.

It is really fairly simple, we don't change, they don't change, there are a lot more of them, with money.

alana
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 3:28 pm

honestly, have you tried food service? because most of the people in kitchens are nuts. It's hard dealing with lunatics but it gives you the freedom to be one yourself. When I first got sober I worked in kitchens and as a baker for 5 years. I am thinking if school doesn't work out this time I might try it again. Plus alot of people in kitchens are high so they don't care what you do. I remember alot of times in my second kitchen job I was the only one that wasn't high. That was pretty pleasant (because they were stoners, I mean, and would all toke during the lunch break). I have to add I lived in a hippie town and I worked with people who were pretty liberal and stuff. I have terrible motor coordination too. I cut myself alot with the knives but I only had to go to the urgent care once when I cut the tip of my finger off. I suppose if you are working in a fine-dining kitchen with some coke-head chef it might be too much but if you can find a relaxed kitchen sometimes it can be positive,

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 4:44 pm

The guys who worked in the kitchen at my old job were all coke heads, smack heads and alcoholics. Not so much fun.

Good post again, inventor.

I think it would be great to get Auties into entrepreneurship. Can't see it becoming mainstream practice though, so just do it for yourself. I personally enjoy finding things to do outside of the money economy, trading for goods, services, or just goodwill.

TheHaywire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 7:06 pm

"I think it's ideal except for the critical point that being self employed or a working artist requires having to constantly sell yourself and to deal with rejection after rejection."

Yep. I've made it out alive right? Just finishing up a business degree so I can learn more.

"It also requires executive functioning skills many don't have. At least I don't."

This is where you hire someone or find a business partner. Not everyone is going to be able to do everything but if you have enough other strengths your flaws could be overlooked. We do what we are good at after all. The majority of aspie's I've met have been great leaders but since they had problems with organization they didn't end up starting their own companies. I think that people on the spectrum should definitely be encouraged to manifest their ideas for businesses. Someone else may step in and want to organize. Just make sure you can trust them of course.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2010, 1:15 am

TheHaywire wrote:
If you're in this situation don't you have to start your own company and become successful with it? What if your behavior is so difficult and your motor coordination is so bad that you can't get a job at a gas station? You have to be a company leader or live in crappy conditions.

I think that all people with AS should be taught entrepreneurship.

Thoughts?

would beg to differ about "AS should be taught entrepreneurship" as this is a talent, just like musical ability, which cannot really be "taught" to anybody who lacks the basic aptitude. might as well try to teach a tone-deaf person to sing as try to impart business sense to one with no business talent or comprehension of same. i'm not saying aspies per se are in this boat, but that this is true of people in general. every business thing i tried blew up in my face. i just don't have it. horatio alger is just BS.

TheHaywire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2010, 1:24 am

We can at least conclude that all aspie's are innovative right? Part of the reason not all of us are good at entrepreneurship is because we get shot down for our motor coordination before anyone hears our ideas. Why not teach people with AS the skills necessary to become company leaders? We shouldn't have to be unemployed (or work in fast food if we're lucky) because we "missed the memo" when we have ideas that could... and literally do... change the world. I know that sounds idealistic but it makes sense to me that people like us should be taught how to facilitate our leadership skills into a working business model.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2010, 2:43 am

Find a job that most closely matches your obsession,. Then working is not like work at all.