Recommended Reading on AS/Parenting

Page 8 of 8 [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

militarybrat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Oct 2015, 8:29 pm

The new book NeuroTribes by Steve Silberman is supposed to be quite good. I haven't gotten to read it yet but would like to.

connieapmag
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Sep 2016, 5:47 am

this is great, please keep the reference coming

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2016, 10:54 am

For cat (and animal) lovers on the spectrum:

All Cats Have Asperger Syndrome (a really cute sounding one I'd love to read!)

Temple Grandin's Animals In Translation and Animals Make Us Human (I love all of her books, but the animal-related ones are my favorites)

JPER1980
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Jan 2017, 12:01 pm

militarybrat wrote:
The new book NeuroTribes by Steve Silberman is supposed to be quite good. I haven't gotten to read it yet but would like to.

I just finished reading this. It was brilliant, giving a sort of history of how the medical profession's thinking about autism has evolved, and how this has effected how people are treated by doctors and society.

I also really liked "The Essential Difference" by Simon Baron Cohen (a Professor at the University of Cambridge's Autism Research Centre). It is really about different thinking styles/interests, but comes out of his research and helped me think about the range of strengths and weaknesses everyone has.

blukarma
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jan 2018, 9:09 pm

I can second the book neurotribes. It is amazing that the history of autism and autism research has been fraught with so much misinformation and downright stifling of other folks research due to ego. If there was one solid takeaway from the book I've decided to try and make a commitment to allow my son's their autistic behavior because it is part of who they are and not something to be cured of.

It also made me very leery of those offering "cures". When my children were younger I did try various diets and supplements all to no avail and with much protest from them and heartache from the parents.

TattaN
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Jan 2019, 4:24 am

Tatally agree NeuroTribes by Steve Silberman is amazing. I helped my understatnd and accept many things with my kid.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2021, 3:55 pm

Start Here: a guide for parents of autistic kids - Autistic Self Advocacy Network

Quote:
oo often, when parents find out their kid is autistic, they receive negative messages from all sides. Many resources available to parents stigmatize autism and talk about it as something to be “overcome,” not as a part of who an autistic child is. At ASAN, we’ve heard from many parents of autisic children who wish they’d had a better resource to learn about autism — one that cuts through myths and misconceptions and explains autism from an autistic perspective. And we’ve heard from many of our autistic community members who wish their families had access to that kind of information when they were growing up. That’s what our new booklet, “Start Here: A Guide for Parents of Autistic Kids” is for!

This booklet was created with the Autistic Women and Nonbinary Network, the Thinking Person’s Guide to Autism, and Little Lobbyists. You can purchase a print or ebook copy, or get it for free.

This booklet will explain:

What is autism?
What parents should do next
Where parents can learn more
What good services look like
Topics such as self-advocacy, communication, and presuming competence
And more!

We hope you'll check out this toolkit and share it widely! When you learn your kid is autistic, you’re also learning that they’re part of a larger community of autistic people. Your kid has a lot of people on their team, so we wanted to give you a chance to learn from their community.

If you click on the link it gives you several ways to purchase or download the book.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman