Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 3:09 pm

Some members at WP are encountering a program that claims to be an anti-virus scan. DO NOT ALLOW this to run. CLOSE YOUR BROWSER immediately if a scan starts that you did not initiate. The scan is a scam.

If you are unsure if a scan has been set up by your parents v. being run by malware, please check with your parents promptly. It would be good to know, before using the site, what anti-virus software your parents have installed and when it is scheduled to run.

Apparently using Firefox (browser) with Adblocker will prevent the malware from running, as it most likely comes in through one of the ads on the site. Quite a few websites are dealing with similar malware issues, and I do not know when it can be resolved.

Last edited by DW_a_mom on 11 Mar 2010, 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StevieC
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 4:51 pm

FF & ABP FTW : )
oh, and OSX : )

My RSS feed:
www.steviecandtheplacetobe.net/rss.xml

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 6:39 pm

These adware sites often claim to sell anti spyware/anti popup software that is supposed to work against the very same bugs they're putting out. My solution to this is to just nuke (reformat) everything from the boot partition. I have backup copies of all my software on CDs, and if required I can format and reinstall. However, during different stages of installation I will make a ghost image (norton ghost) and save it to a partition set aside just for the ghost images. I have one ghost image made with only the operating system and microsoft suite, one ghost image with that and all my other programs, and one ghost image with that and all the updates and downloaded software including firefox. I can nuke everything and reinstall all my software in about an hour using a ghost image if I get adware. The problem with adware is that although trojans are detected and deleted by antivirus, there's something else in on the disk that keeps bringing them in, and nuking everything is the only sure way to get rid of it.

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

Limyan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Mar 2010, 1:24 pm

I certainly do hate to butt in, and maybe bump a old thread, but it is still a problem, (more than likely always be) and it's a sticky anyways.

These "anti-virus" programs, are known as rogue programs. Rogue anti-virus programs show false scan reports, to get you to pay for the "real product" which will "clean your PC of any known problem", but in fact may cause more problems. Malware is a topic I'm very interested in, and in a subcategory, rogues are one that I can honestly read on forever. Here are a few pointers.

When asked to do a free scan, no matter what you press, it will give you a "scan". Pressing the "X" or "No" will not stop it.
These people want to cause you to go bankrupt, stealing your social security, credit card number, or just getting your time is what they want.
These will more than likely, at cases, put hidden trojans (known as rootkits) in your hard-drive, which can enable them to redirect you to any page they want.
Can you get a refund if you fall for it? There have been rumors, but it's very unlikely, these people aren't friendly.
If you do fall for it, (buy the "full product") immediately cancel the credit card in which you bought it with.
These programs can look more legit than actual anti-virus programs. These people are amazing (in a bad way) good at graphic deception.
Is there anyway to prevent it? Of course. I won't tell you to download a certain anti-virus program, because it's completely bias, but make sure to have the latest OS (Operating System as in Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, etc) updates, and most importantly update your anti-virus program daily.

Note: No computer is 100% secure, I don't care if you have ten anti-viruses and twenty seven firewalls. It may be hard to get through, but there is always a way for these pests to get in.

What if you're on Mac? Theres been rumors for rogue software on the Mac OS indeed. Look up one called "MacSweeper" it will look so convincing.

Heres a video of a well-known rogue called "MalwareBell" (convincing name example) and how it infects the PC.
Please do not watch it if you have a heart condition, or your heart is weak.
Edit : Uploading the video, but requiring you are 18 years of age or older.

Thank you.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 2:39 pm

Limyan, if you pm me the video link, I can screen it and upload it for you. I think, lol - I'm not super tech savy, but I do have moderator tools here. Just give me some time; I'm crazy busy with work right now.

And thanks for your expanded information on malware. Interesting and good to know.

vampresstcullen
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Jul 2010, 1:44 pm

Oh I came across that...that is such a mean scam. Pretend to be a virus scanner and give people a virus! Dont click anything on it except exit. I have to close out twice, justbecause it pops back up once doesnt mean you have to click it...

I sure learned my lesson. I had to remake my user account from my mothers admin thing.

angryboy2k10
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Dec 2010, 3:47 pm

Limyan wrote:
Please do not watch it if you have a heart condition, or your heart is weak.

Do you say that because of a virus that comes up on the desktop? I mean with some "rude icons" to put it simply? I've encountered that before (I also have aortic stenosis which counts as a heart condition) so I won't watch the video, even though I can't anyway :)

I remember getting one of these rogue anti-virware. I used my own rogue trick to be rid of it, kinda. Its something I learnt NOT to do when uninstalling a game, deleting its files from "my computer". It has traces that makes it difficult to reinstall because it can still see the game as being on, although you can't play or uninstall it. I used said trick to cause the anti-vir to think its installed, while it has no files, and the computer won't try putting it on again, because it can't.

I don't understand how that worked, and I'm good with computers. It just does work...