Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2010, 1:55 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSRHjQ1XQ9U[/youtube]

Other people's emotions can be overpowering sometimes.

Salonfilosoof
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2010, 10:32 pm

happymusic wrote:
I try to practice compassion but it's intellectualized, I think. The first time I ever felt it was when I was 27 and it was a very strange feeling that seemed to come from my belly or heart. It was spontaneous, I hadn't had to think about it. I am very sensitive to the suffering of other people, animals, etc. but it really is almost always a thought process rather than a feeling or emotion.

It seems to me that Aspies are only capable of intellectualized compassion and empathy, with some rare exceptions like those you mention.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 11:54 am

Salonfilosoof wrote:
happymusic wrote:
I try to practice compassion but it's intellectualized, I think. The first time I ever felt it was when I was 27 and it was a very strange feeling that seemed to come from my belly or heart. It was spontaneous, I hadn't had to think about it. I am very sensitive to the suffering of other people, animals, etc. but it really is almost always a thought process rather than a feeling or emotion.

It seems to me that Aspies are only capable of intellectualized compassion and empathy, with some rare exceptions like those you mention.

Could support the whole more developed thought center, less developed emotion center of the brain. I don't remember the exact terms or anything though. I do consider emotional responses more on an instinctual level though.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

Salonfilosoof
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 1:46 pm

DemonAbyss10 wrote:
Salonfilosoof wrote:
happymusic wrote:

Could support the whole more developed thought center, less developed emotion center of the brain. I don't remember the exact terms or anything though. I do consider emotional responses more on an instinctual level though.

I'm too wasted right now to even have a clue on how to respond :P

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 3:32 pm

Salonfilosoof wrote:
DemonAbyss10 wrote:
Salonfilosoof wrote:
happymusic wrote:

I'm too wasted right now to even have a clue on how to respond :P

yeah, thats kinda how I feel when im sleep deprived XD

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

kia_williams
Raven
Raven

21 Mar 2010, 4:52 am

I find this interesting because I've for a while (don't ask me how long, kinda stuck in a forever of moment here) questioned the "lacks empathy" idea.. honestly, i think it comes down to this.

First Then Second
NT: Emotion -> Thought (Sometimes)
AS: Thought -> Emotion (sometimes)

For me this pretty much sums up WHY NT's are the way they are and do what they do how they do it and why we are the way we are and do things how we do, its not infact a great mystery or some incurable malignancy, if the base "process" is different, the "output" will be too.

1 + 3 = 4
1 * 3 = 3

I Feel, I definitely do and i can be empathic, to the point at one time i suspected i had ESP, but Im alot like northernlights, "are you alright?" is probably one of my most hated questions, yes its because someone cares and i actually like that, but just like northernlights my usual emotional "range" (self centricly) is mildly contented to moderately agitated or bored and while some things DO bother me, mostly im actually emotionally "better off" than those NTs i see around me and somehow that's wrong, but mostly it just doesn't reach the outside, I think this is because NT's have more "naturalised practice" at emotional displays from infancy.. ALOT of naturalised practice. half the time by the time ive hit the emotional part of my processing of events, its "over" (self closing logic loop, stimuli begins but is so "brief" that while NT will react emotionally then logically, having reacted logically the stimuli has ceased by the time i hit emotionally). or there's in reality no reason for me to get emotional over something where as with NT's being emotion first, they'll stop mid rant/upset when it hits, that there's nothing to be upset over.

Am i empathic, yes.
Am i empathic obviously or identically to another person... of course not.

"No Data" often does not mean "Absence" what it usually means is we cant yet detect what is there (invention of the microscope?, discovery of viruses/bacteria as the mysterious "transportation vector" for certain illnesses?, invention of the electron microscope revealing atomic/subatomic structure?)

rejoice my Aspie peers, we're being deemed "none"/"incapable" because the scientists cant detect it yet..

Sorry, Faulty supposition leading to false scientific data p*sses me off.

Salonfilosoof
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2010, 11:01 am

kia_williams wrote:
First Then Second
NT: Emotion -> Thought (Sometimes)
AS: Thought -> Emotion (sometimes)

NT : Dopamine --> intuition. In intuition doesn't work, rational thought is called. Both can generate serotonine.
AS : rational thought --> serotonine. Due to low dopamine levels, dopamine is only released at low levels and in situations of emotional extremity. Intuition is absent.

Dopamine : the neurotransmitter that allows you to feel satisfation and that delegates activities between different parts of the frontal cortex (where intuitive processing takes place).
Serotonine : the neurotransmitter that allows you to enjoy yourself.

A stable life requires sufficient levels of both dopamine and serotonine and both levels are correlated. The low dopamine levels is why it's so damn hard to be happy as an Aspie.

Reader
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Mar 2010, 2:48 pm

I am very sensitive to the moods of the people around me, but I'm not always aware of it. Like, if someone around me (same room) is feeling stressed and anxious, I'll start to feel stressed and anxious, too, but it normally takes me a while to figure out WHY I'm feeling like that. Same with someone who is frustrated or angry, but in those cases I have to either leave or shut them out mentally because it is just too disturbing for me. And while I start to feel stressed when someone else is stressed, that doesn't mean that I understand why THEY are stressed (or if I know the reason, that I think it's a good one).

I think it's because the way I cope with social situations is to mirror the people I'm around, to be like a chameleon. I try to figure out what the person I'm with expects of me and then do that (but in my own quiet, reserved kind of way). So I learned to mirror semi-consciously in order to get along with people, but it also works sub-consciously and comes through as empathy. Unfortunately it doesn't work in groups - they baffle me.

And emotional scenes on tv/movies/commercials and well written tragic parts of books can get to me, but actual events not so much. I'm much more likely to cry over a cheesy tv commercial than hearing someone describing the death of a loved one. The social interaction gets me too stressed to respond emotionally - all my mental energy is going into figuring out the social interaction, none is going toward feeling stuff.

abrett1960
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Jun 2017, 12:36 pm

I have a lot of physical emathy, such as how other beings feel pain.
It's the main reason that I'm vegan.

For example I can give someone a massage (when I can cope with touching) and just touch them and find their pain immediately, to the point that people have said I'm uncannily talented at it.
What I think I do is look at someone, see their postier, the way they hold their neck and so on and sense which muscles are the one that ache because of it, even if the that person themselves didn't know about it. I aply that to my own body and it's like I can literally feel their pain.
This goes through my head so quickly that it's like intuition.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2017, 9:58 pm

^^^hiya Abrett :) welcome to WP 8)