Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2010, 5:58 pm

when you break down the kety components you can make one at home

otto9otto
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Mar 2010, 7:00 pm

I am an EE. This is a serious power weapon. Each shot takes serious energy in a quick, massive surge. So troops in the field will have to have access to such energy. This means some equally bad-ass batteries, or a small generator/large capacitor combination.

Some rail guns tend to self-destruct by expanding the driving coils (copper is kind of soft). This kid solved that. Impressive.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2010, 9:06 pm

The boy should use his intelligence for the good of humanity rather that designing more tools for killing each other. :roll: A mad scientist in the making...

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2010, 10:49 pm

I want to know how he eliminated recoil?

Pravda is great.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2010, 11:26 pm

I want to know how he imparted accuracy, unless he invented a rotating magnetic field (could be done, but did they?) Or fins, which would slow things down.
Well, I'm sure they're all State secrets now.

AspiInLV
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Mar 2010, 10:44 am

When they are needed, they are urgently needed. People can and do kill each other to get resources. quick stories for you Leo Szilard developer of the atomic bomb got to live under Communism, then under NAZIism. He assisted in making the atomic bomb to protect the coutry that was his last refuge: The United States. Enrico Fermi married a Jewish woman, and had five kids in Italy, when the Wehrmacht entered Italy, the place became unsuitable for raising that family.

Tollorin wrote:
The boy should use his intelligence for the good of humanity rather that designing more tools for killing each other. :roll: A mad scientist in the making...

My Ostrich footed named friend, A world without war would might be better, but such a world does not exist. That boy developed his weapon for the good of the Russian People, they are a part of humanity.

AspiInLV
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Mar 2010, 10:47 am

that the projectiles the gun launches are magnetic

pakled wrote:
I want to know how he imparted accuracy, unless he invented a rotating magnetic field (could be done, but did they?) Or fins, which would slow things down.
Well, I'm sure they're all State secrets now.

CerebralDreamer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2010, 12:20 pm

They're referring to the noise and flash that comes from a standard sniper rifle. It's not an issue when you use an electromagnetic propulsion system. By using magnetized rounds, he can eliminate some of the electrical demands on the entire system, which creates tremendous potential for field use.

I don't think it has the accuracy or range of your standard sniper rifle, but there's no reason they couldn't refine his design to achieve practical combat performance. If the rifle means your sniper can fire without giving away his position, then some level of performance is worth sacrifice.

I'm sure that's the perspective military planners are taking. It's not about a tougher gun that fires faster and further. It's about a gun you can't see or hear when it goes off.