Anything that triggered you to get WP?

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 8:46 am

The following is what lead me to join WP...

I was starting my second year of university and I lived in a townhouse with 3 other people that I didn't know from before (I didn't group with anyone from 1st year to live with) and so it was kind of boring. I thought that I was going to make new friends somehow but I didn't really make any new friends and I only knew my classmates from 1st year as we all have almost the same courses. Whenever I got home from school or whenever I'm at home, I felt really bored and the need for human interaction. I started googling about websites to make online friends but I didn't end up joining any. At around the same time, I had an interest of searching for autism related topics and came across WP multiple times. I started to lurk around the site and that was when I felt like I really wanted to join this website and it would be fun. So here I am...

I joined almost 5 months ago (on march 22 it will be 5 months)

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 1:04 pm

I joined the site when I was going through a depressive stage and also having a relationship problem and plus my girlfriend is has autism more severe than I did and I wanted to prove to her that I aspies can have fun.

I was also searching Autism on YouTube and I accidently bumped into CleverKitten's on her information on High Functioning Autism and I was interested so I looked through some of her previous videos and then I bumped into the shoutout video about wrong planet.

I then started to lurk the site for about a month before I joined to see what the place was about, so then I started to joined and only posted one for about a while and then stopped for about a month I think? and I started off with a reply to another member.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp2379134.html

I then made a return in October 12th and since then, I started posting.

Also I wanted to make friends with other aspies and didn't want to feel like I was the only one back then and since then, I've learnt alot from my experience here and now everything for me has been positive since and has managed to have solved most of my problems...

Thank you WP, alex plank, and AWESOME members on here for finding who i'am. :)

- superboyian

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 1:48 pm

The thing that got me into WP, was that I was actually reading a news article about the website. I've clicked the link and joined up, right away.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 3:10 pm

I was in my sophomore year of high school and one of my teachers, who knows about my Asperger's, sent me an email with a link to this site asking me if I had seen it. I hadn't, so I clicked the link and started exploring. It didn't take long for me to join. So I started posting as often as I could until I started to post less often, and it got to the point where I'd only make a few posts in several months. I made one last post in July of '09 and stopped posting until I decided to resume posting on WP in November of the same year. In November of '09 I had around fifty posts; now I'm well over six hundred! :)

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 3:23 pm

Forrest Gump week on A&E

bully_on_speed
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 3:46 pm

complete accident. i was reading a story on yahoo news about autism in general, they talked about high function autistics, and i saw aspergers and it sounded familiar, i know someone with it. so i wiki'd it and started reading. when i got to symptomology it read like a biography on me. for the most part anyway. i dont have the one focused passion, or i do but its so vague i dont notice.

aside from having to censor my language and getting into a pissing match with some tween in the tv movie section. its been a positive experiance

_Square_Peg_
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 4:02 pm

I got discharged from the navy because of my Asperger's, but I didn't want to go back to living with my parents because I feel like I'm nothing but a disappointment to them. Luckily I managed to make a friend who has a spare room in his apartment & is letting me stay until I'm able to support myself. And just when I thought that I had a chance of surviving in this world, I ended up losing my cell phone. That's when I decided to look up Aspie forums to talk about my problems & see if anyone else has to deal with similar issues. And thus I stumbled across WP.
I know having an emotional breakdown over a lost cell phone seems a bit ridiculous, but it was kinda the straw that broke the camel's back. All the while I couldn't help but think: "MY PARENTS DISOWNED ME, THE NAVY THREW ME OUT, AND I CAN'T EVEN HOLD ONTO A PHONE! IS THERE ANY HOPE FOR ME!?"

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 4:13 pm

I wanted to learn more about how someone with Asperger's can succeed in school, and then Asperger's became my special interest.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 4:24 pm

My dad...

It was right after I was freshly diagnosed with aspergers. I felt so alone and confused. I kept asking myself, why me? Why did I have something so rare and frustrating???.. :(

So my dad directed me to a site dedicated to xenus worshipers who had something in common with me...aspergers.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 4:24 pm

Because I felt like it. And I like joining forums.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 4:29 pm

I was Googling to see if I could find out why I'm always counting - something I've done since I was a child (I'm now 49). I've always been a bit different to other people in lots of odd ways but never knew why. I'd never heard of Aspergers. I stumbled on the RDOS test and did that which said it was very likely I had aspergers. That led to this site and after reading some posts realised that there are a lot of people here with similar / the same "oddities" as me. There are lots of nice people on this site who I can relate to.

alternatenick
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Mar 2010, 4:30 pm

To be honest, I found this site through encyclopediadramatica. Autism and asperger's has been a kinda obsession the past few weeks, so I've been reading about it and stuff. Now I'm just bored and looking for forums to bum around on and this has some interesting threads and the people here seem alright so I registered.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 4:32 pm

_Square_Peg_ wrote:
I got discharged from the navy because of my Asperger's, but I didn't want to go back to living with my parents because I feel like I'm nothing but a disappointment to them. Luckily I managed to make a friend who has a spare room in his apartment & is letting me stay until I'm able to support myself. And just when I thought that I had a chance of surviving in this world, I ended up losing my cell phone. That's when I decided to look up Aspie forums to talk about my problems & see if anyone else has to deal with similar issues. And thus I stumbled across WP.
I know having an emotional breakdown over a lost cell phone seems a bit ridiculous, but it was kinda the straw that broke the camel's back. All the while I couldn't help but think: "MY PARENTS DISOWNED ME, THE NAVY THREW ME OUT, AND I CAN'T EVEN HOLD ONTO A PHONE! IS THERE ANY HOPE FOR ME!?"

Geez that's harsh.... >_<

I've had people tell me that if I want to get hired, never mention aspergers. It seems society is more apt to being sympathetic with someone who has a physical "disability" but not someone with a mental one.

Last edited by MissConstrue on 17 Mar 2010, 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 4:35 pm

_Square_Peg_ wrote:

I didn't know you could get discharged from the Navy for having Asperger's. Is there some kind of Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy against people with Autism that I don't know about? :lol:

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 4:46 pm

MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:
Forrest Gump week on A&E

They advertised WP on Forest Gump week? Forest Gump had mild mental retardation and I'm pretty sure he was a savant. Not an ASD.

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 4:54 pm

I think I found out about WP in Tony Attwood's book about AS.

Yeah you can't join the military if you have an ASD. The don't ask don't tell policy applies to gay people. The militaries standards are a lot higher these days, although people with AS shouldn't be disqualified if they are able to function without meds and/or therapy. Having bad social skills is not really a liability.