Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

dt18
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Mar 2010, 8:32 pm

Is it normal for people with autism to have poor hand/eye coordination?

Autistic-Me_Star
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Mar 2010, 8:43 pm

well it is linked to dyspraxia which i have.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 8:48 pm

Yes it is.

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 9:01 pm

I have poor hand/eye coordination. I never fared well in sports. The kids hated picking me for a team because I would duck or dodge when playing games instead of catching the ball. I explained to them that the logical thing to do was avoid the flying projectile, LOL. When I would try to catch it I would always end up getting hit by it. Anyway, that just added to my unpopularity in childhood.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 9:20 pm

I'm not so good at sports, though physical stuff like skating, surfing (no bikes, please) come easy. I do clank and bang everything that has the misfortune of getting caught up in my little hands. I have 4 sets of incomplete dishes. If it's breakable I will probably be its grim reaper.

devark
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Mar 2010, 9:49 pm

I'm pretty clumsy unless im on a skateboard. Weird how that works :?

alternatenick
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Mar 2010, 11:02 pm

Well, based on what I've read, yes.

As for me, yeah. Always been clumsy as hell. Never really cared for sports or physical activity. I tend to drop stuff a lot or trip on myself.

Brennan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Mar 2010, 11:20 pm

I was your typical 'last kid picked on a team' child. Terrible at any sports that involved me having to catch, hit or kick a ball.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 12:20 am

I have very poor hand eye coordination. I'm terrible at sports.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 12:43 am

ditto ditto. eye / hand was never my strong point.

Katatonic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 1:01 am

My HE coordination is pretty good I guess. I play guitar, bass, and drums soooo......yeah. But I could NEVER throw a ball strait. Like in basketball, most people stand directly in front of the hoop and throw it. I'd have to take a step to my right if I wanted any chance of hitting the damned thing. And football? My "spiral" looks more like a pancake being shot out of a cannon.

I guess its up to how severe your Autism/AS is? I don't know....

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 1:47 am

gosh. a funny thing that happened to me regarding clumsiness, i was in a public building that had stairs which i usually take for the exercise, and i was walking down a flight when my heel missed the top step and i fell on my tuckas and bounced "BRUPBRUPBRUPBRUP" all the way down the stairs with me going OW!OW!OW!OW! all the way down. doors opened at the landing and people looked outside at the commotion, and looked at me like i had 2 heads or somethin.' my tailbone smarted.
and don't even ask about slaughterball/dodgeball in PE, which was just an excuse to commit assault against the physically ungifted. am so glad that PE is not too popular in schools these days, but this development was decades too late to help me.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 1:52 am

Katatonic wrote:
My HE coordination is pretty good I guess. I play guitar, bass, and drums soooo......yeah. But I could NEVER throw a ball strait. Like in basketball, most people stand directly in front of the hoop and throw it. I'd have to take a step to my right if I wanted any chance of hitting the damned thing. And football? My "spiral" looks more like a pancake being shot out of a cannon.
I guess its up to how severe your Autism/AS is? I don't know....

you're way ahead of a lot of folks.

dt18
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Mar 2010, 8:20 am

I have a lot of these problems as well. I don't have hand eye coordination for the life of me.

KansasFound
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Mar 2010, 8:50 am

My peaks and valleys here are extreme. I've bowled a 300, but I've also been wheeled out of the bowling alley on a backboard barely conscious. I'vd driven a racecar at 170mph, but accidents from walking have put me in the hospital at least 5 times.

When it comes to ball sports though my eye to hand corrdination growing up was horrible. Then at the age of 9 watching the Albetrville Winter Olympics I became obsessed with hockey goalies. I wanted to be one so to practice I would go to the basement and throw a bouncy ball as hard as I could throw up against the wall and I would try and catch it. I would do this for hours at a time and I got better and better. Once the month of May rolled around I went back to being obsessed with auto racing, but those 3 months at least allowed me to be able to catch and throw objects, as well as to hone my reflexes.

My blog: http://lifeontheothersideofthewall.blogspot.com

Author of Finding Kansas: Decoding the Enigma of Asperger's Syndrome www.findingkansas.com

Magicfly
Toucan
Toucan

18 Mar 2010, 8:53 am

I have an uncanny ability to side swipe door frames as I walk through them!

I'm always covered in bumps and bruises, half the time I don't even know what I've banged into....I'm also a dab hand at burning/scolding/cutting myself when I'm in the kitchen......

So far, I've hurt my toe today by kicking out my legs while trying to take some trousers off, and misjudging where my foot was so my toe was bent under my foot as I accidentally scuffed the floor.

My partner has told me I'm not clumsy, but I am cack-handed, which I take to mean low-level clumsiness rather than all-out uncoordinated, I can catch a ball, but, I was older than average at learning certain skills, such as riding a bicycle (I was 7, but had been trying and failing from the age of 5), swimming (I was 11) and rollerskating (I was 12)