What is/was your major in college?

Page 4 of 7 [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

What is/was your major?
Mathematics/Statistics/Operations Research/etc 5%  5%  [ 11 ]
Physical Sciences (Biology/Chemistry/Physics/etc) 17%  17%  [ 34 ]
Accounting/Finance/Economics 6%  6%  [ 12 ]
Engineering 12%  12%  [ 24 ]
Humanities (English/History/Philosophy/Psychology/Communications/etc) 26%  26%  [ 52 ]
Education 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
Other 18%  18%  [ 37 ]
Art (Art/Art History/Graphic Design/Photography/etc) 10%  10%  [ 21 ]
Did not attend / do not plan to attend 3%  3%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 202

techn0teen
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2010, 9:21 pm

FreeSpirit2000 wrote:
I wanted to look into Business, but after taking some Business classes, I was bored off my mind. So when I transfer to a 4 year institution I would Major in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering, or maybe both, because I like computers and I would better with more hands on careers.

Which university do you attend? There are a lot of universities that have Computer Engineering major (a mixture of both electrical engineering and computer science). I have enjoyed it.

I encourage you to look into it.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2011, 6:15 am

JoeR43 wrote:
Simple questions. Did you continue education past HS? What did you study?
And more AS-related, do you think it's important for those of us w/ AS to pursue our education as much as possible, relative to others?

At Rasmussen, for the last year and an half, I was enrolled in a BS degree in Accounting. I selected this major on the basis of potential job opportunities, however after having spent 1.5 years at Rash Mustard and funneling over $30,000 in financial aid money to them I have been thoroughly unimpressed. I'm now switching to studying subjects, such as mathematics, physics, and computer subject material, independently of an educational black hole which seems to serve itself while providing busywork to cash-cows.

Do I think it's important for those of us with AS to pursue our education as much as possible? Yes, I do, but you don't need a college to obtain an education, and certainly not an education superior to that of others enrolled in financially supporting colleges.

ddrapayo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jan 2011, 12:07 pm

Actuarial Science (officially known at UConn as Mathematics-Actuarial Science). Basically financial assessment of risk. Mainly working with insurance companies to determine premiums based on different risk factors (for example a 39-year old smoker with a family history of lung cancer and heart disease would have to pay a much higher life insurance premium than a 22-year old in perfect health whose grandparents and parents are all still alive). Very stats and probability based, though I'm still a freshman and haven't taken any courses specifically in that field yet.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2011, 12:42 pm

ddrapayo wrote:
Actuarial Science (officially known at UConn as Mathematics-Actuarial Science). Basically financial assessment of risk. Mainly working with insurance companies to determine premiums based on different risk factors (for example a 39-year old smoker with a family history of lung cancer and heart disease would have to pay a much higher life insurance premium than a 22-year old in perfect health whose grandparents and parents are all still alive). Very stats and probability based, though I'm still a freshman and haven't taken any courses specifically in that field yet.

Don't let them flood you with generals the first few terms. That was at least tedious to me.

tksteph
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Jan 2011, 9:01 pm

Computer Science B.S. in progress. It's part of the college of Engineering at my school, so I just voted that.

leeloodallas
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jan 2011, 2:11 pm

If I don't change it again, my major is Biotechnology. A branch of my university's College of Medicine.

I think that if you have AS or lack in social skills, being at least certified in a job-relevant skill or area is important for gaining employment in the future. Temple Grandin's book "Developing Talents" pretty much emphasizes turning your interests/talents into something that can benefit you career-wise.

Berlin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Jan 2011, 3:34 pm

Why are the humanities and social sciences lumped together?

kraken
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Jan 2011, 4:49 am

I was thinking the same thing. You really need two separate categories, with Political Science, Psychology, Sociology, Anthropology, Economics, and other similar fields falling within the realm of social science.

Humanities tends to refer to fields such as Languages, Literature, History, Philosophy, and Religion.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2011, 2:50 am

I would love to go to CalArts to study for a BA in Experimental Animation. 8) :idea: 8)

http://why.calarts.edu/

http://filmvideo.calarts.edu/programs/e ... -animation

http://calarts.edu/admissions/portfolio ... -animation

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2011, 3:16 am

Technically I'm majoring in digital video and media production, but for all intensive purposes, it's basically film-making.

Twitch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jan 2011, 9:53 pm

I'm getting an AAS in accounting then transfering to a four year university to get my degree in actuarial science and economics (that's one degree) so my degree will be technically both mathematics and economics.

What can I say, math does it for me.

"In what concerns you much, do not think that you have companions: know that you are alone in the world."

Henry David Thoreau

Kvornan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Jan 2011, 9:22 am

For me, it's Interactive Media...

chssmstrjk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2011, 5:15 pm

Right now, I am currently a biomedical engineering major who is also going for a minor in math.

I am going to be graduating from college this upcoming semester and will be attending grad school for the PhD program in Biostatistics.

kat_ross
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jan 2011, 7:26 pm

bachelor of arts in biology, hope to return to school for clinical laboratory science/medical technologist certification and/or masters in microbiology and immunology

Wyborne
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Jan 2011, 10:35 pm

Currently enrolled in my 8th semester of Digital Media and Animation, however after 4 years I seem to have lost my love and appreciation for it and am currently at a loss for what I really want to do in life.

Ashuahhe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 10:05 pm

I'm doing a Bachelor of Fine Arts, majoring in Printmaking