Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Celoneth
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2010, 3:38 pm

Hi, I'm new here and I'm pretty sure I have AS. One of the classes I'm taking at the university covered it and it all seemed to fit me so I've been researching it and pretty sure that it's what I have. I've always had sucky social skills and never been able to fit in with other people and always felt like I'm some weird alien that can't relate to others. I'm 28, graduated from college and grad school and did really well academically throughout my life. Then got out in the real world and haven't been able to get a job (don't know how to write a resume even after reading every resume guide known to man and suck at interviews) so now back in grad school and doing well.. but that's about to run out and I just feel completely lost and overwhelmed. On the one hand it's nice to know that there's an explanation behind all my oddities but on the other hand it's something that I've no idea how to deal with. I'm unemployed, live with my parents and have a crapload of college debt and have no idea what to do, I'd like to get some sort of help and get diagnosed but have no idea where to go (I'm in the Baltimore, MD area if anyone knows any places) at the same time I don't want to lose myself and aspects of myself that I like that are probably AS related.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2010, 4:13 pm

http://www.rdos.net/eng/Aspie-quiz.php

this is exactly the same test my clinical psychologist used to diagnose me.
and welcome home to WP! :D

Merle

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2010, 7:15 pm

Welcome greetings to the Wrong Planet forums, Celoneth.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2010, 7:35 pm

Hello and welcome.

Nothing strange like finding out you could be autistic as an adult, no? I had aspergers thrown into my vocabulary less than a year ago and I still do not know if the snow in the globe of my life has settled enough for me to clearly see what is going on. It messes with your head a bit, methinks. There are a lot of people here who learn of this later in life... many who can relate.

try this link

That site might be of some use to you, might not be. I do not know much of it. But it has some facts and such as well as some links at the bottom... I do not know if any are close to you, but there is someplace in Maryland to contact. If they cannot help, they might be able to at least point you in a direction... if not... well, it is not too much time wasted by looking. I do hope it helps though.

Again, welcome. I really appreciated finding this place when I did and have learned a lot from it, I hope you have the same experience here.

DenvrDave
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2010, 7:45 pm

Welcome to WP! Would it be helpful if someone were available who could give tips on writing a resume?

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2010, 8:12 pm

Welcome to WP, Celoneth.

I wish I had some comprehensive advice to offer, but the only suggestion I really have is to not make things worse by trying to be anyone other than yourself.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2010, 11:20 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet and welcome to my time warp. :)

Celoneth
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2010, 10:31 am

Thanks for the welcomes and the advice.. I scored pretty high on that test so guess I'm going to try to find a doctor or something to make sure. Still very overwhelmed but glad to know that I'm not the only one who has this sort of stuff.

Scientist
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2010, 2:32 pm

Hello Celoneth, welcome, enjoy your stay on the Wrong Planet!

Interests: science, experimental psychology, psychophysics, music (listening and playing (guitar)) and visual arts

Don't focus on your weaknesses, focus on your strengths

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Mar 2010, 4:23 pm

To WrongPlanet!! !Image

Optimus
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Mar 2010, 4:33 pm

I also thought writing resumes was really hard, because it really didn't feel natural for me to "brag" about my skills, and intentionally leave out the less attractive qualities (like for example, I hate social gatherings, I always try to avoid attending meetings, business trips make me physically sick, etc.). It felt like a lie.

But then I helped out a bunch of other people write their resumes, and I realized that I was actually quite good at writing them and making them attractive, as long as they didn't revolve around myself. I have no trouble writing them now, even when they're about me.

Don't worry so much about how others write their resumes and CVs, find your own style. You do not want yours to be just another one of the random 300 pieces of paper stacked on someone's desk. Allow it to stand out a little, just keep in mind to keep it formal and serious.

Celoneth
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2010, 9:11 pm

That's the same problem I have.. People make their resumes sound like they're some kind of superhero that's single-handedly saved entire villages and want nothing better than to devote their entire existence to the company they're applying for. Me? I have a college degree and unless the company/organization actually works to do something good, the only thing I want is to get paid. Everything else just seems extremely insincere and stupid and I spend hours trying to write it and get crap.. though at this point I pathetically don't even know where I want to/can work >.<

Felipe
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Apr 2010, 1:38 pm

"I have a college degree and unless the company/organization actually works to do something good, the only thing I want is to get paid. Everything else just seems extremely insincere and stupid"

Cheers to that. It seems like there are so many things in this world designed to obscure reality. And for what? I wish that people in human resource departments were a bit more realistic about the way they hired people and chose people based on their honesty. Something like....

Hi I'm John Smith. I am a bit overweight and starting to bald, however I am good at what I do and have the necessary prerequisites for the job. Though I don't care a wit about your company or what you do, I know that the salary will be good and the job security will be better than what I currently have. I am not going to BS you about loving your company because frankly I haven't heard of it until I made this cover letter. I will more than likely be stuck at your company for the next 20 years until I retire and you give me a gold watch. I assure you, I will be a good hire.