Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

JohnG
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Mar 2010, 11:29 pm

I made an observation that Aspies have an easier experience with adulthood than NTs. What do you think?

chaotik_lord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 11:35 pm

Well, I doubt most NTs have someone offering the degree of financial support that I have. My little sister is NT and doesn't get that, so that's an advantage. I think we all agree that it is best I do not live with my parents. Or anyone, really.

So, yeah, not making rent each month is lovely. My roommates don't have that. I'm wholly unsympathetic. They seem a whiny, overdramatic bunch who invite too many people (more than one per month) over, and walk loudly. Maybe they should socialize less and work more.

Also lovely, not caring about going out, or wasting the money I earn doing so.

And having an interest that keeps me from worrying about identity and purpose and such.

These are still the perspectives of a guy in his mid-20s, however, so take my questionable wisdom warily.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 11:37 pm

Can you list your reasons why Aspies experience adulthood better than NTs?

I can only imagine it be harder for aspies. But adulthood can also be hard for NTs.

Last edited by League_Girl on 31 Mar 2010, 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

ProfessaM
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Mar 2010, 2:02 am

Well I am an Aspie teenage girl. And I think it could be harder for either one during adulthood. However, during adolescence and childhood I think it is harder for Aspies than neurotypicals. Because I'm thought of as the "weird geeky girl" I never have much luck with the opposite sex either, despite being called very attractive by most people. I've never had a boyfriend and many neurotypical girls I know have. In fact, boys often make me the target of their teasing. I suffered very severe case of bullying in primary school. It went on from grade 3 to year seven. Caused me great emotional scarring, damage and depression. It was done by almost everyone in my class, everyday, all day. I was socially alienated everywhere I went and didn't have one friend. And even now I can experience great feelings of loneliness and isolation.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2010, 2:31 am

Well...What i did was get somewhat interested in what the school newspaper was doing, listening to some of their political claims... You don't need to be friendly with "everyone". =/ I had a few people at college that were rather understanding of my condition and didn't seem to mind (they were a bit of a pothead sometimes :p though i politely declined the invitations to smoke).

Pretty much the same now in University, i just hang around the association of my department and our little student café. :p Chit-chat about politics, class and whatnot whenever something i can relate to gets mentionned... Otherwise i just chill ^^; Or read. Or go study at the faculty's library.

Anyways, i do think it gets better as you get older, as people tend to mature and be somewhat more-open minded, or at least they hardly stand bullying as much as they previously did (-cough- at least, speaking of where i am).

a-R
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Mar 2010, 8:25 am

first every one is not out to get you - you just assume they are because as with many of us the problems of school live in the back of our minds like a wrtched black cloud that never even to this day quite goes away but with Gods help it is lessened.

second teaching your self to read basic body launguage and tone of voice will help enormously - you can ask your pairents to help with this - it is like learning a new launguage.

third if you ask people what they mean and explain the difficulty to them - do not hide that you have aspergers then they have to by law make reasonable adjustments to accomodate you

4th go to the job center and ask for the disability employment advisor they will be able to help find sutible employment or training

5th dont sit at home and do nothing volunteer in an old peoples home or childs nursery being able to sit and listen is a good skill to have , small children and old people are easy to get on with.........

6th depression is a big issue but remember that you are loved by people and you are wanted - I often think to my self God wants me I have a reason a purpose or why would I be here - yes we may be rubbish at loads of stuff but God made people with a reason and purpose - it may just take us a little longer to find out that is all....

hope of some help
a-R

ASgirl
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Mar 2010, 8:49 am

i dont think a generalisation like that could really be made without any empirical research. my guess is that the ratios will be quite similar between aspies and NTs.

DavidM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Mar 2010, 9:38 am

A great deal more masturbation in the AS adulthood. You see, the NT puts up with a great deal of nonsense in order to get an occasional intimate reward. It is quite bewildering how so many millions carry out their own personal soap opera every single day of their lives, and they seem to reap very little in return. Through a process known as sublimation, eventually the rituals, which during adolescence were simply a means to an end, i.e. towards sexual fulfilment and exciting adventure, become the end itself - taking part in the daily soap opera becomes the ultimate joy for the NT, and in fact he doesn't just live it every day of his life, he also watches fictional soap operas every night of his life.

Then the NT becomes old, and dies.

MichelleRM78
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Mar 2010, 9:44 am

Well, I suppose what you mean when you are referring to "easier." If you don't have to work and get your bills paid for, I guess that would be easier. However, I find true enjoyment in working and succeeding at my job, so just having my bills paid wouldn't make anything better. In fact, I would be so bored that I would go out of my mind.

Relationships and socializing? I guess it is considered "easier" if you don't have them or have to talk to anyone. Again, however, I feel more fulfillment in one. Not having one wouldn't be better for me, and not socializing wouldn't be easier.

I am just wondering what aspects you are referring to when you say "easier?"