Feminist 66%  66%  [ 99 ]
Not A Feminist 17%  17%  [ 26 ]
Indifferent 16%  16%  [ 24 ]
Total votes : 149

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 8:20 am

heck yes. im a massive feminist. been this way since my teenage years or earlier in my teen years since im still 19. the teachers at my first primary school really stressed the way in which the women and men before us had fought for our rights in the workplace, society, in legislation, religion by taking to the streets and being loud and organising and it was so inspiring. i knew what i wanted to be when i grew up. now im older i can look back and see that there have been many things accomplished and many things still not achieved and many injustices still perpetuated and it makes me sick. people should have total equality no matter what sex, gender, class, sexuality, ability, race, religion, etc they are and feminism fights for all that. its because of feminism that i have a fluid notion of masculinity and feminity, that im ok with queers, that i think religious diversity is a good thing, that im ok with transpeople, and am aware of the need to transcend class boundaries, etc its also why im ok with parts of myself id otherwise have massive problems with.

azureyoshi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Sep 2011, 8:59 pm

Definitely a feminist through and through. (Also a masculinist too by definition; they go hand-in-hand.) I believe in equal opportunity for both genders (like the ability to take equal paternity and maternity leave - the system for that is pitiful in the US) and getting rid of stupid gender stereotypes that are deeply entrenched in sexism.

Just think of this in terms of [trigger warning] rape. When a woman gets raped (and isn't a virginal modest good Christian woman) it's likely she won't be believed and will get slut-shamed in some way by somebody. Her clothing she was wearing gets questioned (why'd you wear such a short skirt, etc), as do her actions throughout the day the rape happened (why did you drink at the bar, etc). Not to mention that the majority of rapes happen with somebody the person prior knew, and not with some obvious "creep" that is so often stereotyped. That adds a whole different layer to rapes (there's a reason that marital rape wasn't recognized for so long after all).

Now, when a man gets raped ... it's almost never taken seriously. Look at the movie Wedding Crashers. A man gets tied up and raped by a woman in the movie, and it's a freaking comedic gold moment! I cringed so much watching it while the rest of the theater laughed. Thinking about why people found that moment so funny was even worse. (Let's just say it was another wake-up call for me as to how BOTH genders need to have sexism quashed ASAP.) Men getting raped isn't any cause for concern because the underlying stereotype that men always like sex transfers to any sex situation, even if it's non-consented. *barf*

And all that is just the tip of the iceberg of the harmful crap that modern culture pushes onto us. It's just some food for thought for those who don't believe in feminism on here. If anything I hope it makes you think about things you didn't before.