Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

dt18
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Apr 2010, 11:12 pm

Where do you guys think is the best place to live? I'm leaning towards eventually moving to Florida. I spent two weeks down there in June and actually tolerated the humidity quite well. I hate winter with a passion and found the part of Florida I was in quite friendly. I've just about had it with the attitude people here in central Wisconsin have. What do you guys think? I'm mainly looking for a place that has a nice, warm climate, friendly people, low crime, and is last but not least autism friendly...perhaps with a higher population of autistic people so I can associate with people that have something in common with me.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2010, 11:47 pm

This site should be very helpful for you in choosing the best places for you to live.

http://www.findyourspot.com/default.asp?NewQ=3

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2010, 12:20 am

I like it, where I live. :)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2010, 9:44 am

for somebody who has both had heat stroke as well as cold injury, i would stick to my beloved puget sound [western washington USA], as that is just about the most temperate locale other than san francisco. also, no state income tax!

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2010, 11:57 am

auntblabby wrote:
no state income tax!

That just about settles it. I'm moving to WA. haha. It is also rather pretty in that part of the country, although I have only visited once.

dt18
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Apr 2010, 6:21 pm

auntblabby wrote:
for somebody who has both had heat stroke as well as cold injury, i would stick to my beloved puget sound [western washington USA], as that is just about the most temperate locale other than san francisco. also, no state income tax!

Doesn't it rain a lot in Washington?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2010, 7:20 pm

dt18 wrote:
Doesn't it rain a lot in Washington?

depends on where you live. in eastern washington, not so much. but lots of snow in the wintertime. in western washington, it is highly variable, with towns in the olympic mountain range "rain shadow" [sequim and port angeles] getting relatively little rain compared with the rest of puget sound and environs which can get 3 times as much precipitation, up to 90 inches or so yearly. the rainiest spots are Forks [famous of late due to a series of novels], Aberdeen/Hoquium, Ocean Shores, and the area around Mt. Rainier. the rest of western washington averages 40-45 inches per year.
but the rain doesn't bother me, compared with the recent deluges in the rest of the country which we were spared this year. the gentle rain keeps the air relatively cool and clear/sweet-smelling, and the weather extremes are moderate. as i said earlier, only San Francisco has better [more temperate] weather overall.

Francis
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2010, 8:35 pm

I have lived in many places across the US and as far as I can see people are the same everywhere.

Pick someplace that has the weather you like. The people will still stink, but at least the weather will be nice.

As for me. Anywhere I can ride a bike year round.

Cuterebra
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Apr 2010, 10:45 pm

I lived in Portland, OR for a few months. If it wasn't for all the rain, I think I would have liked it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2010, 10:55 pm

Francis wrote:
I have lived in many places across the US and as far as I can see people are the same everywhere. Pick someplace that has the weather you like. The people will still stink, but at least the weather will be nice. As for me. Anywhere I can ride a bike year round.

i like the velocipede in your avatar. must be a challenge to ride such. i prefer 'bents myself.
i have lived in the south and north, east and west, and i will stick to my present location as it is the least offensive to me.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2010, 11:06 pm

Cuterebra wrote:
I lived in Portland, OR for a few months. If it wasn't for all the rain, I think I would have liked it.

aside from the wintertime freezing rain, it is not too different from my neck of the woods.

Stone_Man
Toucan
Toucan

08 Apr 2010, 11:53 am

I've lived and traveled all over the US and the world, and most every place has its pros and cons. The constant is people. People aren't much different wherever you go.

What's important to me is the landforms and the climate. I'm partial to the American Southwest. I realize that's a bit vague, but it's specific enough for me these days. Regarding the landforms, there is incredible variety, from towering snow-capped mountain ranges to blistering deserts, and pretty much everything in between. They're all beautiful, all fascinating in their way.

The climate also varies. In two hours, you can go from the summertime inferno of Phoenix, to the cool forests of Flagstaff, which actually gets more snow each year than Buffalo, NY.

So for me, the key would be to decide the landforms and climate that most appeal to me, and go where they are.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2010, 12:48 pm

As long as it isn't in the ghetto or skid row....

bigdave
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Apr 2010, 8:46 pm

Im not sure I would ever move away from Denver Co. I dont really like cold weather all that much but I like the snow and the snow covered mountains. The summer gets hot but not too hot. There is always something to do no matter what time it is. pro baseball, hockey, basketball, soccer, lacrosse and football to watch

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2010, 9:02 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
As long as it isn't in the ghetto or skid row....

I like skid row. The people are nice and humble and the price is right.

bully_on_speed
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2010, 9:30 pm

hey irish aspies this is where you tell me how great it is there and convince me to move