Why is human life more important than animal life?

Page 6 of 6 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Ven_
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Sep 2016, 11:22 am

I can try and tackle this issue very succinctly. *ahem*

Humans write that laws. Animals don't.

It's basically that simple. It's like the saying "life is sacred". OF COURSE IT IS! Because people who are living want to keep doing that, and anyone who disagreed died and couldn't talk about it anymore. And apparently, people don't like being murdered. Like....a shocking amount.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 12:05 pm

AspieRogue wrote:
PunkyKat wrote:
A concept I will never understand. I remember watching animals on TV be killed because they eventualy lost it and attacked their abusive owners and the police would kill it and I would ask why they had to do that and I was told "a human life is more important than an animals". When I tell how I think animal testing and vivesection is wrong in any form I am told it is okay because it is helping people and that human life is more important. Why? Humans are the most selfish, greedy and destructive creatures. I love my bearded dragon more than anything and would defend her to the death if I had too. I would save her before I was to save a person, even a family member. Why are humans oh so important? When I asked that I usualy got a religious answer about humans were created in God's image and they have "dominion" over the animals. I never bought that and it just adds another reason to the list of why I dislike most Christians.

My mum used to say my autism is the reason I felt this way.

The answer to your question is the simple fact that humans, like all sentient organisms, are selfish and self-interested and so they put their own kind before other species. It's really how people are wired.

As for Christianity, it is an anthropomorphic religion that projects human qualities onto things that are clearly non-human. Like the Universe for example. At teh same time, anthropomorphic projection is a Western religious tradition that predates Christianity and is actually very infantile.

It's JUST as you say:

"The answer to your question is the simple fact that humans, like all sentient organisms, are selfish and self-interested and so they put their own kind before other species. It's really how people [b](and all other animals)are wired."[/b]

The key words I read are: "like all sentient organisms" I believe this also applies to organisms which are not sentient as well. The idea is survival of YOUR species, the rest are food.

It's called "Survival of the fittest" or "law of the jungle" or some such. Going backward hundreds of thousand of years, when things were more even, each animal was looking toward eating the animal lower than them in the evolutionary scale. As humans progressed they began eating more frequently and created civilization. The rest of the animals on the scale of life continued eating (and killing) as much as they could.

Are we now tasked with preserving all animals lives??? Why? To confine them? To alter their life style? To give them intelligence? If it were possible should we resurrect all of the extinct species and build them their own habitat? Should we only let lower animals (all animals) breed when it's convenient for us? Or do we consider other (non-intelligent) animals as merely part of the evolutionary scale that supports us and feast away? What is more "natural"?

Frankly I feel all (or almost all) of the monies spent on other animals should be spent on the enriching and survival of OUR species. The compassion I feel for other human beings dwarfs any feeling I may have for lower animals.