Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 8:29 pm

He and his girl friend have been nothing but passive aggressive and rude toward me for eight months now. Nothing direct, just refusing to speak to me, acting stand offish, cilquish, even getting up and leaving when I come around. You know what I mean. He and his girl are president/ vice president of some literature club, which I attended a few times. I introduced myself, but they never seemed to want me around or something. I gave up in the beginning, and neither one of them ever warmed up to me. They seem cool with everyone else, and I can't figure out what their beef is. Maybe they feel threatened, or more likely they derive pleasure from thinking it bugs me. Weeeeeeeeell, I have reason to suspect they're trying to turn mutual acquaintances against me. Mind you, I wanted no conflict with these two, but they can't seem to get enough of being jerks. I'm thinking of either

A) Continuing to completely ignore it, like a pointless cold war. This could simply show them they're not even a blip on my radar.

B) If I find out anything was said, walking up to him and asking if I can talk to him outside. This can imply violence, and scare the hell out of him. If he "doesn't have time," I'll point out he seems to have time to bad mouth me, so he can make time to confront me, since he obviously has something against me. If he wanted to throw down, I'm pretty sure I could take him- he's one of those D&D guys who literally lives at the same table in the student union. He only stops D&D to play magic the gathering.

I'm worried the latter could back fire though. Also, somebody said I should have confronted him right off the bat, but it's nothing you can prove. Thoughts?

Bugzee
Toucan
Toucan

21 Apr 2010, 8:45 pm

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
He and his girl friend have been nothing but passive aggressive and rude toward me for eight months now. Nothing direct, just refusing to speak to me, acting stand offish, cilquish, even getting up and leaving when I come around. You know what I mean. He and his girl are president/ vice president of some literature club, which I attended a few times. I introduced myself, but they never seemed to want me around or something. I gave up in the beginning, and neither one of them ever warmed up to me. They seem cool with everyone else, and I can't figure out what their beef is. Maybe they feel threatened, or more likely they derive pleasure from thinking it bugs me. Weeeeeeeeell, I have reason to suspect they're trying to turn mutual acquaintances against me. Mind you, I wanted no conflict with these two, but they can't seem to get enough of being jerks. I'm thinking of either

A) Continuing to completely ignore it, like a pointless cold war. This could simply show them they're not even a blip on my radar.

B) If I find out anything was said, walking up to him and asking if I can talk to him outside. This can imply violence, and scare the hell out of him. If he "doesn't have time," I'll point out he seems to have time to bad mouth me, so he can make time to confront me, since he obviously has something against me. If he wanted to throw down, I'm pretty sure I could take him- he's one of those D&D guys who literally lives at the same table in the student union. He only stops D&D to play magic the gathering.

I'm worried the latter could back fire though. Also, somebody said I should have confronted him right off the bat, but it's nothing you can prove. Thoughts?

Well... they may just not like you for whatever reason. Some people are like that - choosing he they like/ dislike at a flick of the switch, and there's not much you can do about that. So if you think they are saying things about you, if you ever hear something from someone, ask them where they heard it from, and if its from these two individuals, maybe walk up to them and ask them what their problem is. I wouldn't say to him "would you like to come outside" because that implies you want to have a physical confrontation with him and that could land you into some trouble. What I would do if I were you is to simply ignore them, and probably the problem will just go away.

musicislife
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 8:46 pm

Honestly, in the same position, I would just ignore them. If they want to be that immature, then let them and don't let it get to you. :)

Good Luck!

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 9:32 pm

Ignore them & maybe if you've got friends who know your situation ask them if they've noticed a reason they may have an issue with you. Keeping lines of communication open with friends may help prevent backstabbing. Whatever you do, avoid anything that could lead to violence.

p.s. I'm going to assume your in middle or high school b/c you mentioned "cliquing"

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 9:58 pm

I'd probably just confront them, whenever it was convenient for you. "What did I ever do to turn the two of you into such pricks? You guys have been trying to get under my skin and undermine me from day one, and I want to know why!" If there's people around that 'happen' to overhear this, some rumors might spreading about THEM. What goes around comes around.

That said, I don't know the whole situation. It's possible the other folks would side with them, or some such thing. A better alternative would be to respond to them with things like "I thought people would be more mature in college" or "Really? We're all grown adults and this is what you're doing? It's sad, really" with an honestly disheartened tone. It will make them seem very immature, and will probably irk them as much as they irk you.

But they do not have me

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2010, 12:31 am

Peko wrote:
Ignore them & maybe if you've got friends who know your situation ask them if they've noticed a reason they may have an issue with you. Keeping lines of communication open with friends may help prevent backstabbing. Whatever you do, avoid anything that could lead to violence.

p.s. I'm going to assume your in middle or high school b/c you mentioned "cliquing"

No way, I'm 28. Probably all the more reason to ignore it! I just don't need somebody turning people against me from behind, especially when I didn't do a mother ****** thing to either of them. Yeah, it kinda hurts that it sounds like I'm in junior high potentially, but "cliquish" crap never really goes away. And now that I've read all these takes on it, it's really obvious they're incredibly effin childish, even if they are in their mid twenties, and I should've never allowed this to effect me.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2010, 7:37 am

I'd go for option C..

Like A, you basically ignore them, but also ask your mutual friends what their deal is. Don't act upset, just say it offhandedly like you don't really give a s**t. Your friends may have some knowledge about the situation or be able to give you reassurance.