how much of this is marketing?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

alana
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 6:18 pm

I have just been sitting here thinking about who put the idea in my head about being with someone and I am seeing all these marketing images from commercials. I also know there is a big influence in childhood from fiction, like 'happily ever after' in fairy tales. I wonder do I want to be with someone just because alot of people want me to buy stuff and they use couplehood to market their products. Sexual desire is different from romantic partnership, I don't think that springs from marketing but I do think marketing can influence it. I am even doubting today if there is any genetic urge to pair up. I know that many species mate like this so it can't all be marketing.

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 7:10 pm

We are homo autisticus. These rules don't necessarily apply to us. I would prefer to be with someone than flying solo, but that's me. We're all as different as snowflakes -- and just as beautiful :)

Sound
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2010, 6:09 am

All our medias are saturated with the image of pair bonding, as well as the narrative of pairing up as the intended direction for any and every person. The picture it paints is that everyone is doing it. If we were not swimming in the narrative, I don't think we'd be so prone to having feelings of inadequacy for not living up to the narrative.

So yeah, I think aspects of marketing play into stoking our flame, and strengthening our drive to find a partner. Without all the media, I think we'd desire one anyways, but I think media serves to hone that desire, and give it added intensity, as well as a social repercussion for failing.