How to lose weight while on weight gain causing meds?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 6:54 pm

Ok, I'm on Risperdal and several other psych meds that cause weight gain. In the past, I was not careful about the foods I ate, lots of fast food and sugar, causing huge jumps in weight. I am now 315 pounds (5'8" white male) and am heading for diabetes and heart problems. My grandfather died of diabetes, and he had a horrible death, I don't want to die like he did. I have at least stopped the weight gain by purging myself of sugar and lactose (basically cold turkey while drinking protein drinks) and by eating a healthy diet. But I'm still fat, and it is NOT coming off, likely due to the meds. Stopping the meds is not an option. I can't afford a gym membership, and right now I can't afford a used treadmill. I also can't walk around-I'm in a semi-rural area with plenty of crime and crazy drivers. I can save up and buy a treadmill, or find a cheap gym. I am really out of shape and need to fix this. What should I do?

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 7:20 pm

There is no secret. There is no weight loss supplement, well at least none that actually works.

You need to eat less, or rather eat healthy, and workout more. That's it.

Start by walking a lot. Find some uphill routes. Any hiking trails in your area?

Get a bicycle!

Try swimming. Any pools in your area? Get a swim coach and learn proper freestyle so you can lap swim for an hour, or whatever. (Wading in the water is probably not going to help you lose weight.)

Don't run. Not yet. Pounding on your knees would be too much.

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 7:29 pm

That advice would work if the meds weren't in the picture. Some of them can really screw up your metabolism. Your doctors should be able to give you some advice for working around the meds or otherwise mitigating their effects. Also, check on line for some easy workout videos that you can download or stream on your computer and do at home for free. Hulu has a few in their health and wellness page, as well as youtube and exercise tv. Good luck!

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 8:02 pm

A jump rope is inexpensive. That's what I used for a couple of years before I tried a treadmill. I'm uncoordinated as hell, and would never want anyone to see me attempting to use it, as I have to stop and restart constantly, but it sure works up a sweat and I lost 40 pounds in just a couple or three months. I used to jump rope in front of the TV for 30 minutes to an hour at a time (don't get too close to the screen). Be forewarned, though, if you're using it in a room with carpet, put down a plastic carpet mat like you use under a desk for your chair to roll around on. Otherwise, you'll beat a hole in your carpet in no time. :oops:

But seriously, it's cheap and it works, even if you're a klutz like me.

netsavy006
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Apr 2010, 8:08 pm

pezar wrote:
I can't afford a gym membership...

Couple of questions? Do you see a psychiatrist? If so, I'm assuming he/she is the one prescribing the Risperdal and other psych meds?

I remember when I was on Zyprexa and gaining weight and complaining about it to my psychiatrist she said she'd write a letter for a reduced cost for a gym membership. Maybe that might help you be able to pay for the gym fee. Also, though this takes a long time, I've heard on the radio that walking 30min every day (regular walking) helps you lose 17lbs a year. So if you can, try to get out every day.

I've hope I've helped and good luck...

Bugzee
Toucan
Toucan

29 Apr 2010, 9:23 pm

Drink lots of water, don't eat starches, carbs, sugars and stay away from fast-food, fatty or fried foods.

fobfan123
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 May 2010, 1:21 am

Willard wrote:
A jump rope is inexpensive. That's what I used for a couple of years before I tried a treadmill. I'm uncoordinated as hell, and would never want anyone to see me attempting to use it, as I have to stop and restart constantly, but it sure works up a sweat and I lost 40 pounds in just a couple or three months. I used to jump rope in front of the TV for 30 minutes to an hour at a time (don't get too close to the screen). Be forewarned, though, if you're using it in a room with carpet, put down a plastic carpet mat like you use under a desk for your chair to roll around on. Otherwise, you'll beat a hole in your carpet in no time. :oops:

But seriously, it's cheap and it works, even if you're a klutz like me.

Yeah I recently got a jump rope and a book on how to do it, how much weight did you lose in a time period?

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 8:22 am

netsavy006 wrote:
pezar wrote:
I can't afford a gym membership...

Couple of questions? Do you see a psychiatrist? If so, I'm assuming he/she is the one prescribing the Risperdal and other psych meds?

I remember when I was on Zyprexa and gaining weight and complaining about it to my psychiatrist she said she'd write a letter for a reduced cost for a gym membership. Maybe that might help you be able to pay for the gym fee. Also, though this takes a long time, I've heard on the radio that walking 30min every day (regular walking) helps you lose 17lbs a year. So if you can, try to get out every day.

I've hope I've helped and good luck...

I see my psych tomorrow, May 5. I'll see what he has to say.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 8:57 am

Two questions: are you digesting well, and have you been on any major courses of antibiotics in the past few years? Don't want to offer irrelevant advice, so need to ask first.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 5:03 pm

makuranososhi wrote:
Two questions: are you digesting well, and have you been on any major courses of antibiotics in the past few years? Don't want to offer irrelevant advice, so need to ask first.

M.

I have intermittent problems with digestion. I have had constipation my whole life, and in late 2005 I took a king size laxative (magnesium citrate) out of frustration, only to have it wash all the bacteria out of my digestive tract. I spent the next two years in a near constant state of constipation, alternated with having to take prescription laxatives to get all the gunk out of my system. Now I'm pretty much back to normal, sort of, I have to take a few Dulcolax every weekend to get my system cleared. So, no, not really digesting well.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 6:30 pm

Have you tried taking probiotics (either in form of yoghurt or tablets)? Increased intake of fibrous food, enough water and liquids in general? Taking enzyme supplements might help as well - for losing weight and improving digestion, respectively.

Fibrous food is good for losing weight as well because it makes one feel full for longer, decreases energy consumption and also relieves the constipation problems.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 7:59 pm

Booyakasha wrote:
Have you tried taking probiotics (either in form of yoghurt or tablets)? Increased intake of fibrous food, enough water and liquids in general? Taking enzyme supplements might help as well - for losing weight and improving digestion, respectively.

Fibrous food is good for losing weight as well because it makes one feel full for longer, decreases energy consumption and also relieves the constipation problems.

What are "probiotics"? I would have no idea what enzymes to take. I take papaya for acid reflux, and CoQ10 for blood pressure and heart problems, and iron because I'm anemic. Everything else I take is prescribed.

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 11:27 am

Probiotics = foods with live cultures: kefir, yogurt, buttermilk. There are even pills with live cultures (Align, etc...)

Try drinking several glasses of kefir every day, eat more fiber (high fiber cereal every day) and see if you can find a fiber supplement (pills). The supplements are great because the pill does not come apart and release the fiber until it gets into your small intestine where it's needed.

Yasmine
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 May 2010, 9:09 am

My tip is to read up on paleo lifestyle.
You said you've gone off sugar. Have you stopped with grains and other carbs as well. I gained a LOT on a grain based vegetarian diet. I didn't even eat a lot just very wrongly while being depressed.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2010, 10:04 am

The problem with the paleo lifestyle concept is the factual accuracy is dubious. If anything many of the problem we are having now is due to the fact we are caught in-between our past and our present with regard adoption, and in may respects we have gone to far to the present to turn back, which may be why we have so may digestive disorders.

There is archaeological evidence that we did eat starchy roots, especially in areas with little else such as coastal areas (where the evidence exists). Fruit and berries are great nutrients, but we don't get as much from vegetable matter compared to other animals and they don't sustain as much as carbohydrates. Carbohydrates were not only needed but essential part of hunter gathering, which is why hunter gatherer tribes today also eat them, and they are willing to do longer preparation and cooking to get that sustenance (including preparation to get rid of poisonous elements).

The problem with carbohydrates isn't so much they don't fit out the paleo lifestyle but more many people's lifestyle today doesn't fit carbohydrates. To eat carbohydrates you have to be active not sedentary.

I defend meat eating because I still think we are adapted to eat meat and it can be good for us, however we don't have such a necessary dependence on meat like we did in the a past, and it is possible to live without as an adult in the western world.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2010, 2:05 pm

pezar wrote:
Booyakasha wrote:

What are "probiotics"? I would have no idea what enzymes to take. I take papaya for acid reflux, and CoQ10 for blood pressure and heart problems, and iron because I'm anemic. Everything else I take is prescribed.

Iron tends to cause constipation as well - best be accompanied with magnesium for balance. :thumright:

If you have acid reflux accompanied with heartburn it could be GERD (as in Gastroesophageal reflux disease) very common nowadays.