I am a combination of many labels, but I am none of them ! !!

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 6:30 am

I am a combination of many labels, but I am none of them but me. My window into this world as unique as yours,. I perceive it in away how others interpret it, I am feed information almost like a computer and at times hard to know what is right or wrong. But subconsciously do we really listen to ourselves enough, ar...e we over influenced and do we really have a choice.!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 6:36 am

I am defined by my personality, not my autism.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 8:17 am

asplanet wrote:
I perceive it in away how others interpret it, I am feed information almost like a computer and at times hard to know what is right or wrong. But subconsciously do we really listen to ourselves enough, ar...e we over influenced and do we really have a choice.!

Abstract:
I seem to always check it/something before I believe anything (my bias), and I am not emotionally(subconsciously) 'hooked ' , because of a moral majority.
Large numbers are large numbers are just large numbers.
If the pattern is congruent, then that is the 'current paradigm' that I run , as I tune my O.S. ,and a lot of knowledge here (about anything) is a formidable bulwark.

If most everyone says "Im weird" (which most do- finer minds say "different") or I need therapy or pill for my being me(my personality),
what can I really do about it, though.
On the other side of the coin , they run their delusions as 'absolute' and are 'static' in a dogma glue.

My self esteem at one time was affected/infected, but I grew.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 6:32 pm

Mdyar wrote:
On the other side of the coin , they run their delusions as 'absolute' and are 'static' in a dogma glue.
Brilliantly put :D

I also think the way each of us are viewed as individuals is wrong:

In the Mix - the centre of the spectrum maybe a variation of differences. Let me explain myself neurologically wired differently, sensory wise I sense the world differently, I am so in tuned at times with the world it’s like surround sound, intellectual learning differences which vary greatly, but really to me a different type of intelligence, mentally minded differently possibly an extremity of feeling at odds with the world. But for those of us who have varied differences I see as the inner core, those with less the outer and including many other differences as the circle widens such as highly sensitive etc...and then on the very outer circle those with no difference at all and so isn't the real problem those on the outer circle not understanding the inner circle.! !! http://asplanet.info/index.php?option=c ... Itemid=125 Con't...

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 9:09 pm

There seems to be divergent clusters out there :

Ive been over to the INTJ forums 'a few', and a goodly number there feel out of sync. with their peers.
They report the embarassment of missing social cues , one reported a delayed ability in reading body language , as he couldnt read this till he was 35, but feels he is not on the spectrum.
Someone coined or borrowed the phrase there " neuroatypicals", alluding to themselves.

The high I.Q. report their experiences similarly.
-They have trouble intuiting what their peers feel.
-A good number are asocial.
- A fair number feel out of sync. and" weird" and that there is something wrong with them .
In their forum some took the 'aspie quiz' thinking that they would come up with aspergers, but only a few scored high to very high in the aspie range.
Most had scored in the general neurotypical range, but this example highlights how they are thinking about themselves.
-A lot are unhappy due to alienation.
They do think differently and process things in an atypical manner.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 7:18 am

Everyone is a unique individual, recognising and being not always so easy and can be intimidating, especially if you’ve spent our lives looking for approval, trying to understand self, trying to fit. And when you try to be somebody else the best you can ever be is number two, so be yourself after all, who’s more qualified?

i.e. " He wanted to conduct, but his styles didn’t work. During soft passages he’d crouch extremely low. For loud sections he’d leap into the air, even shouting to the orchestra. His memory was poor. Once he forgot he’d instructed the orchestra not to repeat a section of music. During the performance, when he went back to repeat that section, they went forward, so he stopped the piece, shouting, ‘Stop! Wrong! That will not do! Again! Again!’ For his own piano concerto, he tried conducting from the piano bench. At one point he jumped from the bench, thumping the candles off the piano. At another concert he knocked over a choirboy. During one long, delicate passage he jumped high to cue a loud entrance, but nothing happened because he’d lost count and signalled the orchestra too soon. As his hearing worsened, musicians tried to ignore his conducting and get their cues from the first violinist. Finally they pleaded with him to go home and give up conducting, which he did. Who was he? Ludwig van Beethoven. The man many consider to be the greatest composer of all time learned that nobody can be the master of all trades. "

IamTheWalrus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 May 2010, 7:38 am

labels suck, they don't fit people
sometimes I think they are solely made to exclude others

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2010, 5:48 pm

Sometimes I can not help but wonder are all differences labelled unnecessarily... do we have to nod and smile or someone else may find something wrong with us, I seem to collect labels... are they not at times simply the professionals trying to cram us into their criteria box, that maybe we will never fit into anyway, maybe its about time we all were assessed as individuals for strengths, weaknesses and were simply given support as, when needed.

Some labels I agree are needed, but some a little overboard I feel... or disjointed, disconnected, overlap etc... http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... inionsbox1

sarek
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 May 2010, 6:40 am

I can make it complicated but it is really simple. I am who I am.

A minority of one?

Or

A majority of one.

All depending on the viewpoint.

What beyond reality

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 7:42 pm

sarek wrote:
I can make it complicated but it is really simple. I am who I am.
A minority of one? Or A majority of one. All depending on the viewpoint.
Love that view and of course so true no 2 individuals the same, myself simply an unique alien to many...

I now have a name for my combination of differences, maybe - Kundalini syndrome also known as physio-kundalini syndrome, refers to a complex pattern of sensory, motor, mental and affective symptoms.... : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kundalini_Syndrome and http://www.spiritualcrisisnetwork.org.uk/kundalini.htm interesting anyway.

Freak_Contagion
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 May 2010, 9:43 pm

I've always viewed being called "weird" as a compliment. It would be so boring to be "normal".

Hm. I tried to awaken my own Kundalini out of curiosity once, but failed. It's probably for the better, from what I hear about it. I still meditate from time to time, but the usual focus lately has been trying to have a WILD (Wake-Induced Lucid Dream; a lucid dream is one in which you are aware of what is going on. A WILD is one where you meditate to put yourself into the mental state of sleep and then dreaming while remaining continuously aware of what you are doing. I've done this once only, and I ended up having a false awakening and forgetting I was dreaming. It is difficult, but fun.).

I enjoy random PMs. ^.^

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 6:18 am

Maybe, labelling has something to do with the size of the cultural group to which an individual belongs.

Perhaps the labelling phenomenon is a product of Mass Society.
Maybe it's an extended type of "playground nicknaming", where people are lumped into various "tribes" and each tribe has a name.

Perhaps there's population threshold beyond which John no longer regarded as John with a unique and complex personality and becomes John with ADHD or a statistic.

I don't think that the human mind can cope with the concept of there being billions of complex individuals in the world each with unique quirks and needs. That would be unmanageable. That's why the medical establishment has to lump people into groups of conditions. It's easier and less time consuming to develop a treatment for a condition rather than study every individual in detail. The number of patients per doctor and the time constraints of appointments would make this very difficult.

In order to treat someone as an individual, time has to be taken to get to know that individual. In a small band, or tribal society there's more time for individuals to get to know each other as people stay within the tribe and there are fewer people to worry about.

Maybe labelling is a question of numbers.
Perhaps it has something to do with people moving around as individuals in a Mass Society.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 7:32 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
That's kinda self-contradictory. Autism affects your personality; your personality affects how your autism expresses itself. I'm not saying you're a walking blob of autism, because nobody is; but something so fundamental to your cognition will always be a fundamental part of who you are, like it or not, because it affects your life so much. Even less global disabilities affect personality. If you were Deaf, or if you used a wheelchair, you would be a very, very different person than you are. (I'm assuming here that you don't already, naturally.) Saying "autism doesn't define me fully" is true. But saying "I am not defined by autism" makes very little sense, because partly, you are. It's about as true as saying, "I am not defined by my race/culture/nationality/gender", all of which are true if you say "not fully defined", but false if you say they are not part of your identity. Of course they are. Someone can hate having autism more than anything in the world, and it'll be part of what defines their identity anyway, ironically more so than it would be for someone who's indifferent or accepting.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2010, 12:19 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I have a name and I am not a label, but the very core of who I am as an individual being on the spectrum I feel is apart of that.