Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

tomart109
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 May 2010, 6:06 pm

Hi everyone,
I was here a couple of years ago, but lost everything (homeless) now i'm back, and hope for some sharing, camaradarie, insights, support.
(Back then I frequented the 'Dino-Aspie Cafe', is that still around, somewhere?)

I'm 55 yrs old, and I wish I had discovered Asperger's way earlier in life, it would have explained so much, and helped me understand what was "wrong with me."

I still haven't found a job that suits and supports me, despite a fair amount of work experience and a year with NJ DVR. I find it's best when it's just me and one boss, like a print shop where the owner ran the presses and I did the computer front end/prepress. It's like growing up on the farm, helping my father. I can adjust to one person's expectations, rules, limits, boundaries, but when I've worked in larger companies, all the conflicting rules, beliefs, politics, pretenses, dissembling, just confuse and frustrate me. I inadvertently but inevitably step on someone's toes, say or do something wrong, and often no one even tells me what I did, but there's some unspoken stigma that taints me, and I become the butt of hurtful jokes.

Left alone to do clearly-understood tasks, and one-on-one work discussions, I'm fine. But socially... inept, clumsy, and it's awfully frustrating, especially with women. I have been married twice, 5 years & 10 years, but both women really really wanted children, and I wanted love and intimacy. Both ended before I heard of AS, and I believe that Aspie-awareness would have helped. Assuming she understood and believed in it, which I keep finding is a problem with people. Possibly it's because I'm poor at explaining/advocating things (to people) - usually they end up believing the opposite of what I argue for. :(

Now I get SSI, which pays me almost, but not quite enough to get by, but Thank God! for that. Now I need to find some paying job, in this economy, that I can stand and hold on to.

Thanks for reading. 8O

AspieForty
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 May 2010, 6:12 pm

You're not alone... wish I had a magic bullet phrase, but most of the stories here reflect my own story.

Welcome back Image

"Chaos, Panic, Pandemonium, My Work Here Is Done."

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 8:28 pm

Welcome back to the neighborhood, tomart109.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 8:32 pm

Welcome back to WrongPlanet, and welcome to my time warp.:)

tomart109
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 May 2010, 10:54 pm

Thanks, AspieForty, Jetlag, and CockneyRebel; it's nice to be welcomed. :)

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 10:59 pm

Welcome back. However, please read your private message immediately.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Scientist
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 12:48 pm

Hello tomart109, welcome back, enjoy your stay on the Wrong Planet!

Interests: science, experimental psychology, psychophysics, music (listening and playing (guitar)) and visual arts

Don't focus on your weaknesses, focus on your strengths

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 12:53 pm

Welcome back.