Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2010, 1:43 am

No, this isn't a thread about society's general obsession with celebrities... I'm talking about celebrities as a special interest. Of course, there is me with my Johnny Depp obsession, and I've seen other members mention having been obsessed with different stars.

So have you ever been obsessed with a celebrity? If so, who and to what extent?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2010, 3:05 am

The Kinks are my obsession, in particular, the one that I'm the most like, in personality and appearance, the young Mick Avory of the Mid-60s. I'm not hurting myself, or anybody and I really don't see a problem with it. This is my ground to stand.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2010, 1:38 pm

Yes. Some time when I was around...12 or something, I would be so into Cristian Castro. Though now I like the Paleta sisters, Ludwika and Dominka, Altair Jarabo, Fernando Colunga and David Zepeda best. I go in 'stages', I can move from one to one. I can never learn enough about any of my favorite celebrities. I also don't usually like the celebrities that other people are into. Or this could just be because I follow a different celebrity system than everybody else at school did. I know absolutely nothing about those people like one is Jessica Simpson? :? Well, those people.

When I'm interested in a certain celebrity, I want to know everything there is to know about them. Their birthday, where they were born, their hobbies, their careers, everything. Also, anytime their names are mentioned, I automatically perk up, and give my closest attention to the tv or magazine or site I'm reading. I also like to learn what their names mean. Colunga is actually a municipality in the province of Asturias in Spain. Fernando means daring journey, and the Aragonese version of the name is Ferrando. Altair means flyer in Arabic, though its mostly masciline. David Zepeda is from Nogales Sonora, too. The Paleta sisters are from Krakaw.

I don't know if animated characters or their animators and voice actors count as celebrities, but I do have the same interest in them.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2010, 2:12 pm

Ralph Fiennes - I have 18 of his movies on DVD and I could watch them all day long every day. I've seen more than that, I just don't own them yet. A lot of them aren't even the kind of movie I would usually watch, I only watched them because of Ralph. But they're all really good movies (though I might be biased :lol: ). I don't rewatch them for the plot though, just for Ralph Fiennes (I'm slightly in love with him, despite the age difference. Made worse by the fact that I've loved him since I was 15. :oops: )

Sam Rockwell - I have 10 of his movies on DVD. There are some I could watch over and over but mostly I'd rather watch Ralph's movies if it was a choice between the two. But I'll also actively seek out any movie Sam Rockwell is in, whether it's a movie I would usually watch or not. The only one I'm struggling with is Matchstick Men because I have an active dislike for Nicolas Cage, but Sam Rockwell is in it so I want to see it.

All 28 movies above are on my special shelf with my LOTR extended dvd sets (one of them signed by Viggo Mortensen! :D )

I'm also obsessed with the entire cast of Queer As Folk (the US version). Sounds weird to say this, but I grew up watching that show and they're like family to me. I still follow them as much as I can.

Michhsta
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2010, 2:44 pm

Sir David Attenborough since I was 5 years old.

What an amazing human being.

Mics

Darkword
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2010, 2:44 pm

I've always liked all the christian bale movies, save the new terminator film. Which I don't blame him for.

American Psycho was my personal favorite. That a movie could be so horribly dark yet hilarious, great stuff.

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2010, 3:01 pm

Not obsessions as such... more like celebrity crush on tall athletic women with dark hair. Lauren Graham, Evangeline Lilly, Adriana Lima, Charlize Theron (much nicer with dark hair!! !)

Epilefftic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 May 2010, 3:07 pm

I have a bit of a voice fetish, so I crush on voice actors. I have a mad crush on Jodi Benson (the voice of Ariel from 'The Little Mermaid') that I literally buy games/movies/tapes just to hear her voice. I even strained through the Bible tapes she did. :oops: Also, I have a voice mancrush on Cam Clarke (Leonardo from the original TMNT cartoon, among other things).

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2010, 3:29 pm

persian85033 wrote:
When I'm interested in a certain celebrity, I want to know everything there is to know about them. Their birthday, where they were born, their hobbies, their careers, everything. Also, anytime their names are mentioned, I automatically perk up, and give my closest attention to the tv or magazine or site I'm reading.

I'm trying to learn as much as I can about Johnny Depp, and to a lesser extent Tim Burton and Helena Bonham Carter. Right now I'm trying to memorize important dates in their lives, such as birthdays and release dates of their movies. I also perk up whenever their names are mentioned anywhere.

SamwiseGamgee wrote:
Ralph Fiennes - I have 18 of his movies on DVD and I could watch them all day long every day. I've seen more than that, I just don't own them yet. A lot of them aren't even the kind of movie I would usually watch, I only watched them because of Ralph. But they're all really good movies (though I might be biased :lol:). I don't rewatch them for the plot though, just for Ralph Fiennes (I'm slightly in love with him, despite the age difference. Made worse by the fact that I've loved him since I was 15. :oops: )

Sam Rockwell - I have 10 of his movies on DVD. There are some I could watch over and over but mostly I'd rather watch Ralph's movies if it was a choice between the two. But I'll also actively seek out any movie Sam Rockwell is in, whether it's a movie I would usually watch or not. The only one I'm struggling with is Matchstick Men because I have an active dislike for Nicolas Cage, but Sam Rockwell is in it so I want to see it.

I'm the same way about Johnny Depp movies. I own 18 of them at the moment, and the majority of them are movies I would have never wanted to watch otherwise. They're all wonderful though (especially the ones he does with Tim Burton).

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2010, 4:15 pm

Epilefftic wrote:
I have a bit of a voice fetish, so I crush on voice actors. I have a mad crush on Jodi Benson (the voice of Ariel from 'The Little Mermaid') that I literally buy games/movies/tapes just to hear her voice. I even strained through the Bible tapes she did. :oops: Also, I have a voice mancrush on Cam Clarke (Leonardo from the original TMNT cartoon, among other things).
I also enjoy voices. Stephen Fry, Mark Gatiss, Ian McKellen, and Alan Rickman are my favourites (and obviously Ralph Fiennes). They have wonderful voices. I would happily listen to any of them reading a phone book. :lol:

IdahoRose wrote:
I'm the same way about Johnny Depp movies. I own 18 of them at the moment, and the majority of them are movies I would have never wanted to watch otherwise. They're all wonderful though (especially the ones he does with Tim Burton).
I'm also a big fan of Johnny Depp, I've seen most of his movies but for some reason I only own a few, and not even my favourites of his. Don't know why that is.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2010, 4:24 pm

I was obsessed with Ray Davies of The Kinks, at the age of 21, and I tried to do everything that I could do, to look like him, with bad results, for obvious reasons.:lol:

EmoGlambertAspie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2010, 7:15 pm

My first celebrity obsession was when I was twelve, with Alan Rickman, but it mainly was just a tie-in to my obsession with Harry Potter and the character Severus Snape. I've also had tendencies to get obsessed with musicians/bands, but not on a personal level: Avril Lavigne, Bowling for Soup, The All-American Rejects, and most recently Fall Out Boy. When I was obsessed with Fall Out Boy, I would spend long periods of time reading meanings into various songs. My obsessions with musicians usually run alongside another obsession I have at the time, until my most recent one (Adam Lambert). I was obsessed with Craig Ferguson for a while, also. Sometimes I feel like my mom is enabling me with these obsessions because if I admit I'm obsessed with something, she'll say something like "No, you just like him/them a lot." or, "You weren't half as obsessed with Harry Potter as most kids were." And with my current obsession, Adam Lambert, my mom actually likes him as much as I do, but isn't obsessed.

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2010, 7:53 pm

I did have a kind of obsession with Rozz Williams at one point. I don't know if he's considered a "celebrity" unless you're into deathrock, though.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2010, 8:14 pm

I've always been obsessed with the celebrities who I have a crush on.

I have a crush on Brandy Norwood.

And Jamelia.

I find Michael Jackson an idol that it happens that today is his 1 year anniversary since his death now.
I know literally so much facts about him, even the Michael Jackson fans are surprised of my knowledge about him.

I could remember auto-biography's/biography very well like I have a photographic memory so that pretty much explains it really. :lol:

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2010, 8:16 pm

^ Woah Ian, nice choices! Brandy and Jamelia are gorgeous! I know what you mean about having a good memory for biographical information; I remember that Johnny Depp's birthday is June 9, 1964 even though I've only read that date once. :)

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2010, 8:38 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
^ Woah Ian, nice choices! Brandy and Jamelia are gorgeous! I know what you mean about having a good memory for biographical information; I remember that Johnny Depp's birthday is June 9, 1964 even though I've only read that date once. :)

Blimey, was he really that old? and only dated once?

WOW! He's been a single bunny for some time then. :lol: