Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

KansasFound
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 May 2010, 8:26 am

I wrote a story on my blog today; http://lifeontheothersideofthewall.blogspot.com regarding fevers and I am looking for input on if I am alone on this, or if this trait is shared, so parents, have you noticed any difference in behaviors or traits when your child has a fever? Comment either on here, or on my blog. Thanks!

My blog: http://lifeontheothersideofthewall.blogspot.com

Author of Finding Kansas: Decoding the Enigma of Asperger's Syndrome www.findingkansas.com

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 11:43 am

Ive noticed that both my kids (daughter dx Autistic at 2 1/2, now 5, and son dx Asperger's at age 6, now nearly 8 years old) are more affectionate. They are both somewhat affectionate otherwise but its more like climbing all over you and not hugging and cuddling. When they are sick they are also very calm. I also noticed that my daughter seems more communicative. The only problem is after they get well its meltdown city until they get regulated again.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 12:01 pm

We had a thread on it a while back - try a search for it. There is definitely something going on for some on the spectrum.

inkative
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 May 2010, 12:06 pm

I feel like a bad mom for admitting this, but I have loved the few fevers my 6yo aspie daughter has had. She is calmer, more docile, very verbally sweet, and much more cuddly. We can curl up together and watch a whole movie without her climbing on and off of me, accidentally elbowing me, sitting on the wrong part of my leg and hurting me, going to stand in front of the TV, etc.

I do actually love her energy, curiosity, and everything else that makes her who she is, but when she's sick it does give me some welcome rest time. Interesting, because her older (NT) brother is much more work when HE'S sick. Grumpy, needy, and whiny...just like me when I'M sick! :D

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 12:30 pm

I've been fascinated by this "fever" situation for years. I've watched my son relax, as you've mentioned, when he's had a fever. He's been more clear-headed while having a fever, more able to communicate, more sensible (admittedly from an NT mother perspective) when he's had a fever. It's a fascinating thing to observe. I'm intrigued to read your firsthand experiences as to how YOU FEEL when you have a fever. I wish there were more studies done on this topic.

KansasFound

13 May 2010, 1:04 pm

Wow, I am amazed that I am not the only one to have experienced this, say, phenomenom. I am deeply interested in this topic now!

There is one other time I get this same sensation, and it's quite brief, but yawns have the same calming effect. There's been times when I have been stressed and obsessing on a fear or an event and a simple yawn will sort of restart my system and after the yawn it takes a while to get my train of thought back towards stressing on whatever I was stressed about.

The yawning isn't a 100% success rate as the fever I mentioned, and is VERY brief, but the dampening effects are quite similar.

Author of Finding Kansas: Decoding the Enigma of Asperger's Syndrome www.findingkansas.com

inkative
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 May 2010, 1:06 pm

*giggle* Good inside information! I'm going to start advising my daughter to yawn when her stress levels start to build! ;)

KansasFound

13 May 2010, 1:27 pm

inkative wrote:
*giggle* Good inside information! I'm going to start advising my daughter to yawn when her stress levels start to build! ;)

My dad, after I vocalized this once, has advised me to do so and when I'm mad or stressed my body will resist because sometimes I want to stay mad so I will put all my effort in avoiding the yawn, then he'll yawn and, sadly, yawns seem to be contagious.

I am curious though if this is just something my body has, or if it applies to others.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2010, 2:33 pm

I've heard that autistic kids are more willing to be hugged and such when they are sick. I've also heard (and personaly believe) that it is because they don't have the energy and feel too bad to resist as they usualy would.